Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder Sept 29/07  (Read 5582 times)

allwaysfishin

Re: Vedder Sept 29/07
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2007, 04:45:09 PM »

even though i swore i would NEVER fish the vedder again.... i broke down out of sheer boredom....  ;D screw that.... ineeded to catch some fish hehehe. waded around the canal, was gonna find merc and jetboat but.... that spot looked WAY too busy so i went away from all the crowds. first fish on roe about a half hour in after finding some water to flog.. spring jack 6lbs or so... release.... many pinks... on roe even..... then float down..... runty 4/5 lbs wild coho.... released..... 2 casts later..... 9/10 lbs hatchery doe..... schmack..... switched to blades to see if i could scare up her sister but nope.... pinks... pinks... and at about 11:30... float down.... 5/6 lbs spring jack... schmack..... went up river to check things out very busy up and down... but the fish (coho) are throughout the river now. will have to drag my *** out there in the a.m.   i just can't help myself  ;D

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
    • citycentermassagetherapy
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2007, 05:24:50 PM »

It was crowded!! the spot where I was by myself at first light last week had 20 cars at 6:00am. me and Rob moved on and I killed a hatchery coho at 7:00am mid river. later Rob hooked two coho as well, one landed and released and one got away.

There was an ugly display of guts and thrown away roe on the beaches all over the canal.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2007, 08:18:19 PM by bug pumper »
Fish on!

minnie-me

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2007, 06:36:21 PM »

May be rethinking tomorrow, it is getting nasty out there and it isn't supposed to get any better tomorrow.

testo84

• officially a hardware addict
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2007, 08:02:51 PM »

great report i am going tomorrow then go to clean up

see you there for anyone whose heading out
hardware == fish

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2007, 08:09:29 PM »

There was a ugly display of guts and thrown away roe on the beaches all over the canal.

Might have to walk the canal in the afternoon to do some "Clean-Up" and gather some "garbage" to cure up.

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
    • citycentermassagetherapy
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2007, 08:20:57 PM »

There was a ugly display of guts and thrown away roe on the beaches all over the canal.

Might have to walk the canal in the afternoon to do some "Clean-Up" and gather some "garbage" to cure up.

ha! Good idea we collected some while we were there.
Fish on!

searun17

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2007, 11:02:59 PM »

Nice fish Dave,i might be out tomorrow,maybe we will bump into you on the flow, :) :)
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

Keen-an

Coho on the Vedder
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2007, 02:35:15 PM »

Me, my borther and my dad hit the vedder saturday morning. Hooked 3 hatchery coho and 1 wild coho. Me catching the only wild one. My first Coho ever on the Vedder. We hooked acouple jacks as well                 (Here are the pics)  ;D

The_Other_Gman

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2007, 03:19:13 PM »

Got to the river late...around noonish.  Fished for 4 hours.  Fished upper river in a little spot I know that's changed quite a bit since last year.  Landed and released a slightly coloured Pink moving up a travelling lane.  Moved up a ways to a nice deep pool (10'-12' deep), set my depth at about 7 feet.  First cast, float takes a dive....15 minutes later landed a 26 lb Buck Chinook with just a touch of red on the sides.  Left just before the rain started.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2007, 06:51:09 PM »

Very good weekend reports and photos.

Normally I do not fish the Chilliwack River on weekends because my work gives me the flexibility to fish during the week. Thinking that the river may not be fishable next week, I accompanied Mark for an afternoon outing. To avoid the crowd, sometimes an afternoon outing can be much more pleasant since everyone focuses on the morning bites. We arrived at a spot where Chris and I have been getting fish at around 1:00pm. To my surprise, I was delighted to find no one fishing at our spot. :D We quickly geared up, headed down there to dip our floats. Chris showed up soon after and joined us for a few drifts. Action was slow. I missed a few. Mark managed to hook and lose a coho salmon. His excuse was a poor hookset due to slippery fingers on the centerpin reel. ;)

While we didn't fish with anyone, it was good to meet some readers who came by for a quick chat. :) Thanks for the kind words.

After two hours of trying, I decided to take Mark to mid river and fish another spot where Luke and I had some success on Thursday. Shane also decided to meet us there after his mushroom picking trip. We arrived and were once again excited to find no one fishing at our spot on a Saturday! :) My first drift through the productive spot with a big piece of fresh pink roe sent the float diving. I set the hook but after a few kicks it swam away freely. Mark was also into a fish minutes later. It fought like a jack chinook, but we never found out as it also fell off after a minute or two of tugging. ::) After drifting all of our gear through there for another hour, we headed to another spot nearby.

The walk down there was rather eventful. First I fell onto a blackberry bush, cutting my fingers, maybe waders too. I still have to check. A couple of minutes later after emerging from the bush, I walked down a hill, fell head first and performed a faceplant in front of Shane because I had my rod in one hand while holding a water bottle in the other. Shane was laughing pretty hard, as was I. "Normally people slip and fall on their butt when coming down the hill.", he said. The first thing that came out of my mouth after digging my face out of the mud was, "I hope the rod isn't broken!"

Our attempts at the third run were a bit more successful. The tailout seemed to be stacked with coho salmon. I decided to swing my spoon through it. On the first cast, one coho attacked it hard halfway through the retrieve. It exploded on the surface just like Thursday's fish when hooked. Unfortunately, once again, it too came off near shore! It's becoming a bit frustrating with so many coho salmon lost in one week. :o Mark managed to land a jack chinook salmon, which he kept. A few more jacks were landed before dark. Shane hooked nothing, this river hates him. ;)

Our good day ended by having dinner with Chris, Buckeye and Buckwife. :D Thanks for dinner Chris. ;)

Although most sections of the river on the weekend are occupied with large crowds, there are definitely spots where good fishing can be hard without many anglers around. Let's hope this rain will ease off soon so the river will be back in shape for more good coho fishing before the season ends.

Taboo

« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2007, 07:38:35 PM »

Although most sections of the river on the weekend are occupied with large crowds, there are definitely spots where good fishing can be hard without many anglers around. Let's hope this rain will ease off soon so the river will be back in shape for more good coho fishing before the season ends.

I ran into a fellow who worked for Fisheries on Saturday (not the same guys who check your licenses and gear), he was there to take scale samples from landed fish and do a count of anglers.  He estimated that the Vedder had between 800 to 1000 anglers on it....

GoldHammeredCroc

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2007, 08:21:50 PM »

Creel surveyor.  If they ask you for a couple of minutes of your time, please help out with any information and details.

Whitedevil

« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2007, 09:16:10 PM »

good report and I wish I can be there tomorrow...

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2007, 09:59:04 PM »

Thats why I bought dinner Rodney as you were so badly injured I felt sorry for you. ::) Start using a walking staff like me, O, you are not 64 yet, sorry. ;D