Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Circa 1967-1970  (Read 2494 times)

booters

Circa 1967-1970
« on: February 25, 2014, 05:06:13 PM »

I am recalling when I lived in Vivtoria BC 67-70 when the Colonist news paper published weekly a salmon fishing reportsports section I would think I t had a column/listing of anglers names,salmon weights. locations,lures used> I have tried to retrieve/research that column through the newspaper archives,didnt work and the main library. The library has microfilm of that era but I was told they dont have time to retrieve it,locate it.OK I would like to retrieve same and post it as I rememember it to be quite interesting.IE Brentwood Bay etc.
Problem being I live in the Okanagan ,no access to the library. Not asking anyone to go out of their way,just asking if they recall and if they can rememberie days published etc.
Ian Forbes perhaps u remember, sorry to age us.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: Circa 1967-1970
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 09:43:10 PM »

They used to give out crests for certain weights, I believe for over 30 pounds.  I got a crest for my 50 pound tyee. It changed to the Times Colonist when the papers merged. It has been some time since the derby ended.

I most likely have some of the clippings somewhere, from the 1960's.

Always was interesting reading the results especially when I fished the ocean in those days.

Ian Forbes

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 12:30:38 AM »

I remember it clearly, but as I'm now in Thailand for the winter I have no way of researching. It reminds me of all the outdoor columns that Lee Straight wrote for the Sun Newspaper in Vancouver. Those days are long gone and newspapers seldom print anything other than major sports or some scandal a media star has been up to.

Quin

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 03:24:54 AM »

Alec Merriman was the outdoor editor for Vancouver Island's Daily Colonist for that time period. They had a Friday report on current fishing conditions. The paper also had the "Colonist King Fisherman Contest", which he managed.
He also wrote a book, "Outdoors with Alec Merriman", a fishing guide to Vancouver Island.
Don't know if this helps, but it might lead you in the right direction.
Quin

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 07:30:37 AM »

Merriman also published map books for saltwater fishing off Vancouver Island from Victoria to Port Hardy. He included graphs of fish registered in the derby throughout the summer angling season to provide some idea of when fishing was best. I had those books and leafed through them to the point the covers fell off. Not sure if I still got them.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

booters

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 08:33:55 AM »

This is great everyone,my intention was to retrieve one weekly article re same and then figure out how to post for all to see what took place in the old days. Now what to do. Maybe someone with that info could do it , time pending of course. I would but retrieving something I dont have is the problem.
I recall so many catches from Brentwood Bay,weights of fish Super Herring strip being the lure of the day,Bamberton,McKenzie Point Goldstream Coal Island etc
Thanks all,hopefully something can be worked out. It will be sometime before I will be visiting the Island/library