Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Procured orange roe versus red preference  (Read 2840 times)

jazzhead

Procured orange roe versus red preference
« on: November 16, 2013, 07:07:03 PM »

I had a tub of purchased procured red roe and last week I decided to procure (orange) some chum roe that I got.  And I went fishing with the tub of red roe and a few chunks of the freshly pro cured orange dyed ones.

For some reason the cohos ignores my red roe and hit only the orange ones.  But since I did not have a lot of the orange roes I couldn't continue to experiment.

I am not sure if the red roe I got off the shelf were bad or coho prefer orange roe or maybe prefer chum roe (I do not know from which salmon the red ones were from, the label just said procure salmon roe).

I am not sure if all of this make any sense.  Anyone have any similar experiences?  What do you guys think?

Gooey

• Old Timer
Re: Procured orange roe versus red preference
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 08:04:45 PM »

PC double redd is a GREAT cure, that is the color I have the most faith in...i think the key point you mentioned was the freshness.  Fresh roe that is nice n moist and leaves a good scent trail...I think thats important. 

Not sure if the type of eggs matter.  I have caught fish on sockeye roe and immature cap coho roe (tiny eggs) up t the biggest white spring eggs and everything in between. 

In general, I like pale eggs so the colour of the cure stands out more.

bunnta

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 09:42:20 PM »

double red hot is all i use too. those store purchase roe have probably sat on the shelf for awhile.

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 09:51:41 PM »

For some reason the cohos ignores my red roe and hit only the orange ones.  But since I did not have a lot of the orange roes I couldn't continue to experiment.

Maybe the coho have seen so much red roe they are fed up with it and need a change and/or the orange looks more natural, particularly in clearer water.  Under natural conditions the eggs are not going to look bright red, more of a washed out pink or pale orange.  Sure if the water is a little coloured the brighter coloured roe will stand out and attract their attention and probably look more like the roe they would expect to see.  But in clear water maybe the closer to natural the better?  Just a thought.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 09:53:23 PM by Knnn »

mvelasco

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2013, 10:30:29 PM »

I brine mine with borax for natural or add a touch of double red if I want color.I find the orange has worked but the natural color roe has gave me better results

Shawn6o4

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 12:30:10 AM »

Try a natural cure and add a bunch pautzkie krill powder, did that a few days ago and it fished so well

mvelasco

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2013, 12:38:45 AM »

Try a natural cure and add a bunch pautzkie krill powder, did that a few days ago and it fished so well
I actually just did a batch with brine and pautzke nectar added to it. added a tinge of color but wont be able to test it out for a while  :(

Shawn6o4

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2013, 01:13:41 AM »

I forgot to add that I prefer orange!  I had been using red in the tidal fraser for a while and tested out orange vs red vs natural with krill powder. Natural was best then orange then red, all the eggs were chum and cure brand for me ia always pautzki

jazzhead

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2013, 10:36:29 AM »

I actually just did a batch with brine and pautzke nectar added to it. added a tinge of color but wont be able to test it out for a while  :(

I guess have to wait till next years salmon season, seems like a long time to wait :(

Oh and forgot to add that chum roe looks orange and by curing it orange perhaps it enhances it.