Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New to the site, just saying hello.  (Read 1012 times)

W07F3

New to the site, just saying hello.
« on: June 09, 2014, 09:48:20 AM »

Hey people,

Just figured I'd say hi. Long time fisherman here. I'm pretty sure I held a rod before I could ride a bike. I grew up in the Okanagan, there isn't many holes I don't know about from Revelstoke to Osoyoos. Anywhere in the Kootneys accessible on my streetbike (I'd make the odd venture on a gravel road but it makes for a very slow trip in 1st gear..) I'd go. Not only did I get a kick@$$ ride, but some really good fishing too! The interior was definitely my stomping grounds.

Now I find my home on north Vancouver Island. For fishing.... I'm literally in heaven!! Riding the bike... well not so much... lol. I've fished for Salmon before. But never had fishing like I do here. One major factor would be... the Ocean. I had a blast fishing shoreline last year and I'm eagerly awaiting for the runs to return. Not much longer!!!

I've used spinning reels most of my life so Im confident that if fish are there, I can entice a bite. My dad used to take me Fly Fishing when I was a kid. Most everything he taught me was lost due to not carrying on with it. But having all that awesome action last year, and fishing the creeks, rivers and lakes around here. I went a bought some new gear...

Rod: Ross Worldwide Essence FC 8wt, 9', 4 piece.
Reel: Dragonfly Kamloops GT 7/8

Yeah, it's overkill in a sense for creeks/rivers/lakes, but the main objective with this setup is shoreline fishing. Just the thought of hooking into a Pink or Coho is making me all giddy. And the thought of a Chinook giving me a shakedown on that rod gives me chills. I caught one 15.lb 8oz Chinook last year not too far from where I live on 10lb test from the shoreline. I'm stoked for another shot but on the Fly rod this time! So I imagine I'm going to be asking more than a few questions about technique, gear etc in the Fly lounge. Hopefully theres a few people here in the forum that live on Van Island that can give me some pointers.

Okay I've just about written short book here. I could go on forever about fishing, sorry for the long read haha. Anyways, have a good one people!