Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: belly boat or pontoon  (Read 3104 times)

Tenz85

belly boat or pontoon
« on: June 05, 2014, 02:10:17 PM »

Planning to get a craft of the above until I get a lake boat or the fishing kayak.

Been leaning toward a belly boat because they are generally cheaper, lighter and easier to transport (I have a sub). [Edit - SUV]

Pontoons would move around lake better.

Are pontoons more comfortable and better to fish from (technically)?

HOOK

• Old Timer
Re: belly boat or pontoon
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 05:01:25 PM »

Pontoon is great and also allows you to drift on rivers if your inclined. You can also put a motor on them and if you anchor a lot when lake fishing you can run two anchors (eliminates spinning around 1) If you can roof rack it then at least you wont have to take it apart each trip but don't transport with it inflated from lower mainland to the interior or you may blow the bladders.

Float tube or a Vboat will allow you to just deflate and toss them in the car/suv. downside when lake fishing is your stuck to always moving or spinning around the 1 anchor. Vboat your legs from below the knee are always in the water, float tube everything below your waist.

I have fished from all 3 of these types. They all have advantages and disadvantages however I'm glad to have a proper lake boat. Downside to a proper lake boat is you can't get into those walk in lakes so now I want to get another Vboat  ::)
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Tenz85

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 08:17:15 PM »

Great info.

Thanks for the reply Hook.

Ian Forbes

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 12:10:25 AM »

Hook is right. I believe in at least one of everything. There is no one perfect craft that fits every situation. The closest to that would be a light 12ft to 14ft aluminum car top boat... with a 10 HP motor. Pontoons are better for drifting rivers where you want to cast as you drift, while using fins for positioning. Pontoons are also great for working a shore line slowly and casting into likely spots. It can also be carried by one person for a short distance. If you are going to hike into a lot of lakes then a belly boat is the answer. It is also a great choice if you are on pond size lakes. And, belly boats are more stable in a wind. They don't get blown around like a pontoon. The advantage of the pontoon is it has oars. I see no need or sense to put a motor of any type on a pontoon. If you need a motor then choose a small boat. It will be more comfortable and faster. A small boat is better if you are traveling any distance and you are going to do a lot of "bobber watching". Boats are LESS practical on rivers because you can only fish when they are anchored, and unless the boat if long enough (12 feet or more) it can be dangerous to anchor them in any kind of fast current.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 08:52:34 AM »

I use an 8 foot zodiac with high pressure airfloor(no hard slats).  Fits in a hockey bag, takes 10 minutes to unpack and set up.  Super stable, very comfortable and spacious.  I can bring extra rods, a cooler, take boxes etc.  So much more versitile.  I rig it up with either my 5hp merc with internal gas tank.  Or my 50lb minn kota maximizer.  All fits in my MX5.

I have a MAXXON CS230.

I have used tube and 'toons multiple times, they are not for me.  Frankly, I can't understand why people use them.  After going to the zodiac style boat, nothing compares for solo fishing. 

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 10:10:56 PM »

Had an awesome day on a lake today despite only getting three fish (not large).

Part of this was I really saw the advantage of the pontoon boat over a belly boat.

Mobility.  This is huge, part of the issue I have with the float tube is it takes a substantial amount of time to go anywhere, and not all fish are just around the corner from the launch.  The pontoon had the option to kick or row, making it sweet.

Further you are up and out of the water in the pontoon, with water barely up to your knees (if at all) and have a better view of the lakes structure.

Another thing, pontoons do not take that long to set up/inflate in all honestly.  The bulkiest part is the frame, which should be able to fit in a coupe depending on the model.

They do suck in the wind stability wise, however I have been in a float tube on a windy day, and it sucks trying to get where you want to go. 

Personally I would recommend a pontoon, the amount of options they open up makes them worthwhile in my opinion.

Tenz85

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2014, 10:37:27 PM »

Thanks for the responses Damien and Mr. Forbes.

Clarkii, I was typing a response however you're too quick for me so much of our info is similar.  >:(
Joking, thanks.

With some rather decisive splurging I went down to cabella's and picked up a pontoon. I used the well maybe I'll drift down a river factor, which is very unlikely but nice to picture in my mind. Also, read that belly boats can be hard on the knees compared to pontoons because of all the kicking and feet dangling. The pontoon wasn't all that I expected but it will do and it's growing on me. I have the option to tack on a troller/ancors, easily adapt a fish finder, the oars move me around well, it's fairly comfortable seated upright with back support, and a good hone my fly fishing skills.  My lower extremities do get wet so I will need that nicer pair of waders, I've been waiting for, come fall but the old ones will do in a pinch. I like how I can take it apart quick enough and transport with the air still in the bladder (not too full of course).

I've used an inflatable boat (fish hunter 4 - cheap) which I made a wooden floor, transom attachment for a 30lbs troller, ancors, and box seats. As you mentionned, sets up quickly, transports nice and gets the job done. Only down side to me was having to dry it then squeeze all that air out and fold it - especially in the spring and late fall. Of course the zodiac is much better quality and design which comes with the price but the zodiac isn't for me since I've been there done that in some sense.

All in all, I'm happy with my pontoon and am sure it will get its use.   ;D