Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Road trip through Fishing Highway  (Read 7083 times)

emac

Road trip through Fishing Highway
« on: June 05, 2014, 12:07:13 AM »

Hi,

I'm planning an RV road trip this July with my wife and two kids (5 &3) from the Lower Mainland > Fishing Highway > Whistler > and back.  Looking to spend about 3 nights along the Fishing Highway prior to heading down to Whistler.   Anyone have any recommendations for resorts or campgrounds that offer good shore fishing?  Renting a boat is an option as well.  Biggest priority is to find a lake where the kids can catch a few fish.  A couple of resorts that are on my radar include Eagle Island and Fawn Lake resorts. 

Cheers,
emac

clarkii

• Old Timer
Re: Road trip through Fishing Highway
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 08:41:40 AM »

Not having been along that road for fishing, however I know of some really good lakes in the area.  Do not know suitability for shore fishing though.

Another option if you want to get your kids into fish is Walloper lake for 1-2 hours on the way (assuming your taking the coq through kam up to little fort).  Take the Lac Le Juene exit and go to Walloper lake road.  There is a day use area with a dock there.

It is stocked as a kids fishery, with small fish but they are numerous and it is easy to catch them off the dock.  Worms worked quite well there last year and a kid even caught one on a damselfly nymph out of my dads box.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge of the area can provide actual insight of the fishing lakes along the route.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 09:31:30 PM »

Not having been along that road for fishing, however I know of some really good lakes in the area.  Do not know suitability for shore fishing though.

Another option if you want to get your kids into fish is Walloper lake for 1-2 hours on the way (assuming your taking the coq through kam up to little fort).  Take the Lac Le Juene exit and go to Walloper lake road.  There is a day use area with a dock there.

It is stocked as a kids fishery, with small fish but they are numerous and it is easy to catch them off the dock.  Worms worked quite well there last year and a kid even caught one on a damselfly nymph out of my dads box.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge of the area can provide actual insight of the fishing lakes along the route.

He said the fishing hwy. You are talking the Merrit/Kamloops region. Two different areas

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

emac

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 10:55:17 PM »

@bbronswyk2000 Not sure why that needed to be pointed out.  He clearly stated Walloper Lake would be a nice stop on our way up.  Looking at the map it looks like a great place for lunch and a bit of fun. 

Thanks for the suggestion Clarkii!

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 11:10:16 PM »

Hope the trip works out well, kid friendly lakes can be hard to find at times if your fishing from shore.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 11:12:13 PM by clarkii »

Ian Forbes

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 11:50:35 PM »

I don't see where the expression "fishing highway" factors in. And especially when Whistler is mentioned. It's not that there is NOT fishing in that area, but it is not a destination for fishing. However, depending on the time of year, there are small trout in Cayoosh creek that flows out of Duffey Lake. The Duffy Lake road from Lillooet, and through Whistler to Squamish is certainly a scenic route, with some fishing along the way. The Merritt highway is more of a "fishing highway". Walloper Lake is full of small rainbows and is pretty much a sure thing for kids who don't care what size they catch.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2014, 10:03:12 PM »

@bbronswyk2000 Not sure why that needed to be pointed out.  He clearly stated Walloper Lake would be a nice stop on our way up.  Looking at the map it looks like a great place for lunch and a bit of fun. 

Thanks for the suggestion Clarkii!

Hwy 24 is the "fishing hwy" of BC

Belong to the "4 F Club"

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2014, 10:42:48 PM »

Hwy 24 is the "fishing hwy" of BC

And to get there from the lower Mainland you have to drive up the coquihalla past Walloper lake, into Kamloops then take the yellowhead exit up to Little Fort and turn left onto highway 24.

Unless he is taking the trans canada to cache creek up 97 to I think its 70 mile and turning right onto highway 24.

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2014, 10:49:08 AM »

Another idea would be to go to your nearest Travel Info. Center and pick up a free catalogue called Accommodations BC . It has a ton of information on campgrounds and resorts to hotel , motel info. tells how many sites for places  , everything you need to know all throughout the province as well as prices on all to . The only info it may not show is Forrest rec sites , I can't remember if it did or not , it just might have .  :)
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2014, 02:46:16 PM »

If thinking of renting a boat I would try Watch Lake or Fawn.
Sheridan etc. are not kid friendly although one of the prettiest in the area as well as Bridge,they are tough fishing for the most part.

Couldn't help you on the shore fishing part though?

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2014, 06:18:55 PM »

And to get there from the lower Mainland you have to drive up the coquihalla past Walloper lake, into Kamloops then take the yellowhead exit up to Little Fort and turn left onto highway 24.

Unless he is taking the trans canada to cache creek up 97 to I think its 70 mile and turning right onto highway 24.

I think most take the Trans Canada. Such a nicer drive. Good luck with your ventures!!

Belong to the "4 F Club"

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2014, 10:39:55 PM »

I actually like to go up one way and come back the other just to mix it up a bit.
They are both great and offer some great scenery.