Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: cartopper advice  (Read 6220 times)

Damien

• Old Timer
Re: cartopper advice
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2014, 09:12:57 AM »

Thats why I have a 14ft tinner and an 8 foot zodiac style inflatable.

I use the inflatable is my 'pontoon'.  I still can't for the life of me figure out why people use belly boats or pontoons.  A very small 'zodiac' is just so much better...IMHO.

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2014, 11:39:18 AM »

I had a belly boat.... actually still have it.   It was fun... But all I can say is if your on a belly boat alone... and you lose a flipper........ you will never get in a belly boat after that...

wondering if the zodiac is sturdy enough for the kids... they are 5 and 7...
see ya on the river

Tadpole

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2014, 06:30:29 AM »

JB if you get Jap Achilles or English Avon and they are proper hyppalon made and  they are very sturdy.  For a few years now I have a 10.5 Ft Achilles with wood floor. The boat is about 30 years old. I drag it on the gravel and rocks often and still has no single patch. They are nearly impossible to tip it over. Best deals on them are to be had just south of the border if you don't rush things. Avoid cheap PVC Chinese boats. They are very heavy, cumbersome to set up and they don't last.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2014, 04:27:29 PM »

I have a buddy with a 12 foot Lund that he is looking to sell or trade for a jon boat ~$700.

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2014, 05:03:53 PM »

if I was to do a inflatable would you guys recommend a wooden floor aor a inflatable floor.

in reguards to the lund.   Please have him email me at jettabambino@gmail.com
see ya on the river

Mkulak

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2014, 05:12:49 PM »

I have a 16ft Inflatable with Aluminum Floor (Korean made boat and absolutely love it) I keep it inflated spring, summer and fall and have a small little trailer to move it around. 
I've seen people throw small inflatables on roofs or in the back of pickups with ease.  As others mentioned an inflatable is super stable and very hard to flip.

Originally boat it just to cruise around lakes etc but as you can see I've recently outfitted it for fishing with just a little bit of creativity.  I've used the downrigger a few times with lots of success. 

Here are some pictures of my setup....  All the bench, rigger and table setup is modular and removable.

dflyer

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2014, 12:02:26 PM »

I just purchased my first 12' aluminum and yet have to take it out... maybe this weekend??  But i plan on purchasing a 40lb Minni kota maximizer for it as I will be doing mainly smaller lakes for now w/kids.  I am thinking that should be sufficient power.     But if you plan on getting on larger lakes i would want to have that gas motor with me.   7.5 to 9.9 HP.
 And oh thanks Mkulak, i now know what to do with my Heritage Classic seats now.   :)