Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Home-made lures  (Read 11912 times)

KarateKick

Home-made lures
« on: September 10, 2013, 09:01:02 AM »

Hi everyone,
I have a disabled child who's been really into fishing (after attending the Fishing Forever event), but we have no money because his monthly medical bill exceeds my income. He's been looking at various lures, and they all cost $5 or more, so I'm hoping to make some for him. Can any of you share some experience with home-made lures?
Thank you!

LP89CG

Re: Home-made lures
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 09:25:37 AM »

I bought all of my materials online and went from there. It's a little expensive but you get a lot of lures out of it so the cost in the end is better.

That being said wire forming is a little hard. I was using two pliers.. the hands get sore.

The other thing I ran into trouble with is the blades and making sure they spin in the water. Clevis size seemed to play a role and so a little bigger worked better in the end.

If you want to get into painting them there's jig paint, or nail polish.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 09:51:50 AM »

luremaking.com

I order the parts from these guys and it costs me about 80 cents each to make a spoon, including shipping, and tax.  Make sure you have a pair of pliers so your fingers don't get sore.

bluenoser

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 09:54:35 AM »

Hi Karatekick

Not sure if this helps you out or not but theres often fishing tackle posted on craigslist where people are getting rid of complete tackle boxes full of used and even new gear because they gave up fishing or it was left to them by a relative that passed away. Anything used can be cleaned up and you can buy lure/spinner reflective tape really cheap and your son could recreate his only killer tackle. Speaking from experience its very satisfying to catch fish on something you've created. Just type in fishing tackle on craigslist and see for yourself.

Bluenoser

Fishawn

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 10:08:49 AM »

Hi karatekick,
I'm assuming you're going out for pinks? If so, I can help you out.  Shoot me an email and I'll hook you up with some lures I put together myself. (free of charge)

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 04:07:13 PM »

I find spinners and spoons pretty exorbitant so I have been in the habit of making my own these days.   

OK first the setup : Since the spinners and spoons I make are always too light to cast I have to get around the problem by placing the spinner/spoon on about 18 inches of leader attached to main line with a swivel.  Above the swivel I use rubber tubing with pencil lead (..nice thing about rubber tubing is the pencil lead can be removed easily so I can change my weights at will without the need to retie anything).  The whole setup works great but I have learned that it is important to use a good quality swivel.  I don't really know why but a good quality swivel really helps to prevent the leader wrapping the main line.

Now the spoons / spinners : For spoons I go to Rona's and buy some sheet metal about 1mm thick.  Cut strips about 3cm long by 1cm wide (..or however large you want these).  Put a hole in either end, split rings through both holes, swivel one end, hook on the other.   Reflective tape on one or both sides of the sheet metal strip.   When fishing these I always put a bit of a kink in the metal so I can get a nice wraggling motion - works like a charm.

For spinners, there are great articles on this site on how to make them.  Berrys Bait or Army & navy are great places to go buy blades in a range of sizes and colors.

Basically this saves me a ton of money and I think I do just as well with my own home made stuff.  Being very light it all moves very well in the water.   

Unfortunately I do not have the means to attach any photos.   I would like to show what the strip metal spoons look like but they really don't have to be elegant - just got to get it so they wraggle around nicely when retrieved.

Note: One big advantage the commercial spoons have over mine is I can get them out a bit further so I always carry a few crocks with me for situations where a I need a longer cast.

Good luck out there.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 04:12:57 PM by fishseeker »

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 05:42:13 PM »

Ive made them from thin sheet metal following any lure of choice for a pattern, and there is a way to make a lure from a bottle cap, i made one but never tried it lol.Ive also seen spoons with the handle cut off and holes drilled for the rings.
Do you ever get out to the Maple Ridge area? Ive got the folks from The Hoarding tv program after me because of my lure collection. I can pass on a few dozen happily  :)

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, 07:57:36 PM »

Hi karatekick,
I'm assuming you're going out for pinks? If so, I can help you out.  Shoot me an email and I'll hook you up with some lures I put together myself. (free of charge)

Awesome! That's what a fishing online community should be about.  :)

Karatekick, email me your snail-mail address to miloilic at yahoo dot com and I will put a few lures in a padded envelope and send them to you.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2013, 10:49:12 PM »

Hi there karatekick
If you send me an email I can help you out with a lure making kit that I no longer use. I can also help you out with the wire and other component's to make spinners and I have alot of spoons for Pinks and Coho that I will give you at no charge.
gteboek1@telus.net

Geff

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2013, 11:14:10 PM »

My better half makes jewelry and I talked her into making me a bunch of different kinds of spinners and sppons, she paints them as well and she's damn good at it too , especially with the wire, mind you she's got every damn pair of pliers that man has made for these tasks, her craft bench puts my tying bench to shame. ::) ::) ::)

Hats off to the boys helping this fella out, good on ya's
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 11:16:12 PM by Bently »

KarateKick

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2013, 11:26:07 PM »

Thank you so much to all of you.  I never expected to see such kindness.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 12:02:29 AM by KarateKick »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2013, 03:02:15 AM »

You can also send email directly via the forum by clicking on under the member's handle or profile pic beside the post.

Brian the fisherman

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2013, 05:45:54 AM »

I can also lend you a hand with some spinners/spoons and other various materials you will find useful.

Send me a PM or email egolawncare@gmail.com and I will mail you some fun.
Tight lines to all

louie

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2013, 10:00:38 AM »

Hi KarateKick,

please check your PM. got some spinners, spoons and some materials you will find useful.

Louie
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 01:03:23 PM by louie »

Ian Forbes

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2013, 04:30:55 PM »

Although I mainly fly fish and have tied flies for over 60 years, I have made thousands of lures. I've caught several thousand steelhead on home made spinners. We used to call them T-spoons because they were made using cut golf tees as the main park of a spinner. We would buy the cheap blades by the gross. The lightest blades were actually the best because it didn't take much to get them to spin. I also made what we called "Jack-Macs" which were basically the same as a T-spoon but we use red beads instead of the golf tees. The closer to the wire the blade sits, the easier it spins. That can be important in shallow, slow water.

For spoons I go to the second hand or Dollar Store and buy up their kitchen cutlery, and then cut off the handles. Then I drill holes for the split rings and swivel. I paint them with nail polish or lacquers.  I can bend them to change the action slightly. A butter knife blade can make a good wobbler if you bend it into shape. A metal grinder helps.