Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stave Nov 03  (Read 3028 times)

Hohummm

• I'm a llama! and llamas are bigger than frogs
Stave Nov 03
« on: November 03, 2007, 02:58:11 PM »

Fished the west side near the trailer park this morning. Caught lots of chum, some would probably have been keepers if I had a smoker. Caught an released one wild coho (a bit dark anyway) and kept this one. Sorry, no streamside shots because the camera's not waterproof....Chucking all kinds of spoons and short-floating colorado blades.

fishiotherapist

• Haneyphysiotherapyclinic
Re: Stave Nov 03
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 04:49:46 PM »

Nice one there man :)
I'm still hunting my first ever coho ;D

fishforever

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 04:30:29 PM »

Ya fished it today. Some nice chum, my buddy bonked one and we saw a hatch coho that another guy had bonked. What did u get that nice coho on??

Piranha

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 05:24:00 PM »

seen an asian guy bonk a silver coho today. Also seen a few chinese guys take rotten chums. Kids bring the fish to shore and dad shoves the fish in a black garbege bag. lol . It got me thinking that he probably works at a japanese restaurant and will serve chum to people : /

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 06:13:21 PM »

Be respectful. Chinese people work hard but they don't eat junks. Only those folks on Fear Factor do that.  ;D

Hohummm

• I'm a llama! and llamas are bigger than frogs
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2007, 06:49:04 PM »

Yah, on the Stave, the absurdity isn't race specific....All kinds of people keep all kinds of stuff. Personal preference I guess, and as long as they're not wasted I don't care. There is way more chum in that river than the available spawning grounds can support. I sometimes wonder if the run is supported by the last fish that spawn.

Anyway, here's what I caught the keeper on:

The wild one was caught on a hammered brass croc with a red stripe. This day, pretty well everying that I tried caught something eventually.

RossP

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2007, 09:25:07 PM »

Well my grandfather use to collect old salmon to use as fertalizer in his garden. Maybe
those you saw were doing the same thing. BTW my familly is from England.
I Love Hunting, golf and anything else that keeps others off the water.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2007, 01:17:20 AM »

seen an asian guy bonk a silver coho today. Also seen a few chinese guys take rotten chums. Kids bring the fish to shore and dad shoves the fish in a black garbege bag. lol . It got me thinking that he probably works at a japanese restaurant and will serve chum to people : /

That's generalization if I ever read one. Take a look around at the snaggers next time you're on the river. Snaggers, flossers, beaks are not specific to one ethnic group.

charles

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2007, 08:20:35 AM »

Funny how on my last few trips to the vedder, I saw just as many other ethnic groups keeping dark chums as Asian or Chinese...  And if you take a look at the japanese restaurant, they use orange salmon meat rather than that white-ish chum meat...  even the texture of the meat is different...

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2007, 01:58:59 PM »

I agree with what FA has brought up. :)

FYI, salmon found in Japanese restaurants (the cheapest dishes anyway) are worse. ;) They are farmed Atlantic salmon.

The trend lately seems to be the need to rant about "snaggers" in reports. While violations should always be reported, to the authority, people need to keep in mind that the Stave River is a heavily fished system because of the easy foot access, short driving distance from Vancouver and high abundance of chum salmon. When an angler fishes in a crowd, it doesn't make him or her a snagger if he or she is doing everything right. The kind of generalization being employed can be insulting to some. Regarding keeping coloured fish, some people simply don't know better, because they have never caught fresher fish before. Is it illegal that a parent kills a coloured fish when a kid brings it in? No, it translates to a day of family fishing, better than youths who are not spending as much time with their parents or guardians. There really isn't a need to look down on others who are just starting out simply because you know more.

If a coloured fish is being killed for eggs only, then that would be a violation. If a fish is being dragged onto the beach before released, it is a violation. If a person keeps more than the daily quota, that's a violation. If a person is fishing without a fishing license, that's a violation. If a person is purposely snagging fish (eg. jerking the rod back once every few turns on the reel), that's a violation. In these cases, you have two options. Report the violators by phone at 1-800-465-4336, or bring up the problem with the fishing club/association that you beling to (if you don't belong to one, join one and have a voice) or your local DFO community advisor. Continuously bringing up "snaggers" on a internet discussion forum eventually becomes mind-numbing to readers, which translates into meaningless rants. Be proactive and make a difference.