Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So i killed a pink yesterday and here's what i did with the roe  (Read 8946 times)

allwaysfishin

So i killed a pink yesterday and here's what i did with the roe
« on: September 30, 2007, 06:08:26 PM »

the doe i whacked looked pretty clean when i killed it and was a big fattie so i figured... meat for the smoker and some juicy roe for the coho. Problem is when i cut her open, all the eggs had singled out already and where loose. I figured i'd keep em for a little experiment in water hardening.
I don't have pics of the whole process but you will clearly see the end result :D

you will need.... about 4 cups of course salt
1 large clean margarine or yogurt container
a 1 gallon clean milk jug
a metal strainer
procure powder
and clean fresh water, distilled if you have it but my results were with river water, then tap water.

This recipe is for the quantity of eggs from 1, 6 lbs pink salmon. WILL ONLY WORK FOR LOOSE EGGS, NOT SKEINED EGGS .. ALSO does not require procure or anything else other than the water and salt. I simply use the procure as a colouring agent, I'm sure it benefits the cure in other ways but is by no means necessary.

STEP 1 : empty the loose eggs from the fish into a large ziploc (always have these for roe anyways) and fill with river water and drain as neccesary to remove any blood. water inziploc should appear near gin clear with the eggs inside. leave as much water as ou can in the bag and close. carefully take it home with you.
STEP 2 : Allow the eggs to it in the river water in the fridge for 12 hours (24 is recommended for chum/spring eggs)
STEP 3 : pour eggs out into metal stainer... handle them carefully at this point they will be soft.
STEP 4 : place eggs into a margarine container and add 2 to 3 teaspoons of your desired color of procure powder... i used red hot double stuff.... and 1/4 cup coarse salt, then very gently stir till thoroughly disolved/mixed... add a bit of fresh cold water if need be to help it mix up nice.
STEP 5: pour 2 cups coarse salt into the 1 gallon milk jug and fill 3/4 full with cold water. put on lid and shake like crazy, disolving as much salt as you can.... there will be a lot of undisolved salt.... this is good.
STEP 6: back to the eggs.... they should only soak in the procure for up to 2 hours.... I only waited 1 hour to achieve the juicy pink colour i got in the pics...... pour the eggs into the metal strainer and rinse well under the tap with cold water. Once rinsed they need to go into the milk jug full of salt water. Once the eggs are in the jug, top it off with cold water and give a gentle shake to mix the contents well. put it in the fridge over night... 12 hours is good. 24 hours for larger eggs such as chum/spring
STEP 7: after storing in the salt water over night they are essentially done at this point and ready to use. I generally drain them out of the milk jug and refill it with the remaining salt ( 1 3/4 cups) and fill it 1/2 full of water and just leave the eggs in there... for 6 months if need be.
here is the pics... sorry i didn't take any during the process... mostly just the end result .. BUT CHECK OUT the pics with the glass of water sitting on top of the eggs on the counter..... you get a nicew water hardened colored egg .... perfect for juicy roe bags.

ENJOY  ;D

« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 09:17:23 PM by allwaysfishin »

__hooked__

Re: So i killed a pink yesterday and here's what i did with the roe
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2007, 06:20:31 PM »

all i can say is wow!  that looks like some nice roe.. thanks for the report

fishonsteelheader

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2007, 06:28:38 PM »

if i want a natural look can I just not put pro-cure in and do the other steps. they look very good thanks for the posting ;D ;D
love to fish.

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2007, 06:44:23 PM »

Nice lookin singles!!! I may try that tonight with some pink eggs!
weeeeeeeeeow!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2007, 07:19:37 PM »

Totally awesome Thomas

allwaysfishin

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2007, 08:11:06 PM »

yes you can skip the procure.... it's only for color.... the end result will be the same but in natural colour.

wheresmybobber

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2007, 08:19:57 PM »

Thanks for the posting alwaysfishin...

Question - Other than colour does procure do anything else... Your process only includes a lot of salt... from what I can gather I could skip step 4 and get the same result with a natural colour egg - correct?

Also, for the forum - what and where can you get material to make up your roe sacks... A few step by step suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Wheresmybobber

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2007, 08:42:22 PM »

If you add a teaspoon of Boric Acid your eggs will be even more rubbery. Practically un-popable.

fishonsteelheader

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2007, 08:50:23 PM »

This is the way I do them go to army and navy and get the mesh and spider wire the mesh comes in alot of colours. The mesh comes all one peace and i it about 2" squares but you can cut to what ever size you wish. put your eggs in and rap them up twist the top but not to so you squash your eggs rap the spider wire around top about 6 or 7 time. Trim the top and your done  you do not want a big piece on the top I trim just above the the spider wire
love to fish.

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2007, 08:50:54 PM »

So I take it that these eggs don't milk much?

allwaysfishin

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2007, 09:05:12 PM »

most water hardened eggs i've seen don't milk, no, but they work like a hot damn for steelhead and coho regardless. the inside of the egg is still liquid... fish bite em and it gets tasty in thier mouth... kinda like than gum that squirts ehehehe  8)
the mesh for tying roe sacks is availlable at most takle shops... so is spider thread(in the tube in the pic)... there are other types of roe sack tying threads but ... they simply suck (like the pink roll if thread in the pic).
here's a pic showing typical roe bag tying stuff and some pics of tying up a roe bag... done tonite

there ya go..... gee i'm havin fun with my new camera tonite hehehe :D
« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 09:19:31 PM by allwaysfishin »

fishforever

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2007, 10:23:16 PM »

great stuff guys

hotrod

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2007, 10:32:10 PM »

if i want a natural look can I just not put pro-cure in and do the other steps. they look very good thanks for the posting ;D ;D

Just use the natural pro cure and then your game is on!

Hotrod

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2007, 11:45:07 AM »

I have water hardened eggs a number of times and it seems to me that once water hardened (to my nose anyways) the eggs loose a lot of scent (compared to cured/boraxed roe).  I tied roe bags with singles I pulled off a cured skeen and they worked wonders this year but they lack the durability of WH eggs...any input on the scent issue anyone?

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2007, 11:58:13 AM »

I have water hardened eggs a number of times and it seems to me that once water hardened (to my nose anyways) the eggs loose a lot of scent (compared to cured/boraxed roe).  I tied roe bags with singles I pulled off a cured skeen and they worked wonders this year but they lack the durability of WH eggs...any input on the scent issue anyone?

I noticed the same thing when a did my first batch last year. have not done it since then. I know some people will soak them in scent when they store them but I do not know if that would work. I have done the same thing as you and just peeled them off the skeen.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day