Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: anyone fish the harrison lately?  (Read 3176 times)

bentrod

• Old Timer
anyone fish the harrison lately?
« on: October 03, 2006, 07:49:55 PM »

Since the Harrison isn't ultra low like the vedder, anyone fish it lately? 

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
Re: anyone fish the harrison lately?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2006, 09:04:14 PM »

Probably low, but should still only just be starting to get good.
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote

*Lil Fisherman*

• Old Timer
  • I.AM proud to be a canadian fisherman!!
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2006, 09:06:49 PM »

I def. want to hit up the harry pretty soon. I love fishing it when the maple leaves are scattered everywhere! Such great scenery. Perfect for pics.
Apprently there is supposed to be a big run of whites in the harrison this year. Forgot when! >:(

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2006, 06:34:00 AM »

I went there (first time) and tried near the bridge - it's so slow moving. Do you guys only fish with spinners/spoons or fly?

*Lil Fisherman*

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2006, 08:08:22 AM »

I have found in past years, crocs,kitamats and coho's work well. Blue Fox spinners should also be productive.
Were you fishing below the Highway bridge or the Train bridge?

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2006, 08:17:09 AM »

Hwy bridge actually - is the train bridge far? east or west?

pepsitrev

• Old Timer
  • my family and fishin are #1 in my life
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2006, 10:57:04 AM »

right downstream from the boatlaunch. i fish around the corner near the log booms and have done well in the past. spoons and spinners work great good luck and post your results

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2006, 08:13:31 PM »

Before we got the boat, we used to just fish by the golf course, just upstream from the highway bridge, there is LOTS of walkable shoreline, just watch out, there is some "unstable" river bottom.

Dad and I seemed to have the best luck with hammered gold crocs with fire wings, in the 3/8 oz size (I believe it's the one in "goldhammeredcroc"'s profile pic). As for flies, done well with chartreuse mudlers in muddier waters, but olive/gold beadhead mudlers and black or olive wooly buggers seemed to do the trick in clearer conditions.

It's a pretty shallow river (we've walked 3/4 of the way across it a few times before we got bored and turnwed back), and you realy don't need to wade far.
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

Spudcote

*Lil Fisherman*

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2006, 08:30:27 PM »

Pm sent pepsitrev! ;)

gofish

• doh!
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2006, 08:35:35 PM »

The Harrison is comparable to the Vedder for water levels right now. Boat trailers go off the end of the launch at Kilby and 95% of the bay in front of Kilby is dry.
get off the couch

freddy2596

• I'm an my friend....
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2006, 12:33:48 AM »

Spudcote.....I don't know what your thinking, but the only place this river is tame is in the Bay area's by the highway bridge and Harrison bay. the golf coarse area's are shallow and muddy.....yes you may be able to wade out a bit (if you don't get your boots sucked of you in the mud) but there is no where on this river i would feel safe wading into to the main stem....this is a very fast moving river with a lot of water moving downstream even in the lowest of water conditions and like most rivers the main channel gets faster in low water...........just try holding your boat steady at the launch.......

GoldHammeredCroc

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2006, 06:34:51 AM »

Example of famous lure by request  ;D ;D ;D.  I have a tackle pouch with a selection of Crocs.  Gold seems to be the ticket and you can use the flame wing, the stripe or even the perch coloured one.  You know it works because come coho time, you can never seem to find one at the shops.

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2006, 12:47:56 PM »

Spudcote.....I don't know what your thinking, but the only place this river is tame is in the Bay area's by the highway bridge and Harrison bay. the golf coarse area's are shallow and muddy.....yes you may be able to wade out a bit (if you don't get your boots sucked of you in the mud) but there is no where on this river i would feel safe wading into to the main stem....this is a very fast moving river with a lot of water moving downstream even in the lowest of water conditions and like most rivers the main channel gets faster in low water...........just try holding your boat steady at the launch.......

I realize it's fast in some sections, but even when I was younger (13-14), I didn't have many problems wading around just upstream from the golf course (given it is indeed quite muddy, but there were a few gravel patches which I liked to stick around). When I say we walked 3/4 accross, we stopped when we got to the main stem. Seasonal changes, I havn't fished it in a year, so it may no longer be possible.

Example of famous lure by request  ;D ;D ;D.  I have a tackle pouch with a selection of Crocs.  Gold seems to be the ticket and you can use the flame wing, the stripe or even the perch coloured one.  You know it works because come coho time, you can never seem to find one at the shops.

That's the one  8)
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

Spudcote

Sandhead

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2006, 05:34:26 PM »

I agree near the golf course I've waded maybe 80% across the river.  In hindsight i didnt need to venture that far out... but it was relatively safe for as far as wading across a wide river
Ain't no HO like a COHO