Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Aquaculture  (Read 68022 times)

Dave

• Old Timer
Re: Aquaculture
« Reply #180 on: August 04, 2013, 06:20:14 PM »

I do enjoy reading her stuff, nearly always makes me smile ;)

StillAqua

« Reply #181 on: August 04, 2013, 08:44:21 PM »

I made my point . Not one of the pro feedlotters can come with an iota of proof that the garbage under the netpens is anything but toxic sludge. Despite trying to twist what I posted and "look it up yourself", they all tucked their tails between their legs and tried shooting the messenger.
Seafood for the Future did a nice peer-reviewed evaluation of the sustainability of the BC salmon farm industry that might answer some of your questions about the "toxic sludge" NB. Jump to page 16, Benthic and Chemical Impacts.
http://seafoodforthefuture.org/docs/SFFSalmonProducerPartnerEvaluation.pdf
There has been routine monitoring and scientific studies of salmon netpen wastes going on since the industry started, many that should meet your definition of "indepedent" but I can appreciate it might be hard for the average citizen to find them through google rather than an academic search engine. There seems to have been a lot of "adaptive management" going on with the fish farms; making changes as they go to their farming practices as problems are identified to minimize their environmental footprint.

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #182 on: August 04, 2013, 08:56:15 PM »

Yes and I get punches thrown at me all the time- ( see posts in this thread and elsewhere- no crying from me) I take it with a grain of salt, and swing back. I'm sorry your so sensitive and will try in the future to consider how easily you become emotionally injured by my posts.

And now for the complaining.....

But please, AGAIN, I politely ask you not to spin my words or invent things and angles about me personally that just don't exist. They're not true and it bothers me that you spew innuendo that's utterly false . Sad to see you're doing that, as I do believe it cheapens you're side in the debate.

Sure sounds like someone that takes it with a grain of salt and doesn't complain....Right..lol?

Caught red-handed and still not able to man-up to it.  However, I kind of expected this from you.  Thanks.

As for the second part of your response I already posted something for you and you didn't even consider it.  I agree with Absolon, go find your own answers.  You don't believe what I post anyway so what is the point?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 08:57:50 PM by shuswapsteve »

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #183 on: August 04, 2013, 11:21:54 PM »

.......and the stated reason for not considering the material you posted in response to his question?

In his own words.........

Sorry shoeswap, I'm just an ignernt redneck and unable to make much sense of that bafflegab........

Somehow that has transmogrified into this

I made my point . Not one of the pro feedlotters can come with an iota of proof that the garbage under the netpens is anything but toxic sludge. Despite trying to twist what I posted and "look it up yourself", they all tucked their tails between their legs and tried shooting the messenger.

But ask him to provide some support for his contention that it is toxic sludge under the sea pens .......ooops........where'd he go...........oh right........he's off to complain that no one will provide him an answer and to boast about how he showed them up and to post a picture of a pear that he claims he grew.

Serious discussions indeed!

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #184 on: August 05, 2013, 08:24:19 AM »

I'm sorry you're so lathered up Steve. Thank you StillAqua for the civil response. Let's take a trip back in time..... My family arrived here in the 1751  http://www.progenealogists.com/palproject/ns/ - Gotz and Zinck, on the Pearl and the Murdoch - and relied on the sea for sustenance and income. Through the generations, most stayed at it. My grandfather and his brother owned a processing facility,my mom in the office, my Dad was first mate on a scallop dragger. Even when I was a kid, I was expected to stay out of school during lobster season for a week or two to help with trap pulling and bait bag stuffing to help out an uncle.While my family never made the Forbes list, we always had food, clothes and a roof over our heads. But, through mismanagement and , yes, overfishing, this disappeared when I was growing up. Gone was a way of life that had provided for many years as cod was one , if not the primary source of income.The devastation to the families was horrendous, my own family had a suicide, that still has effects and will for the rest of my life.
My motivation is simple - I see much the same happening here. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemies. Just a little research into the corporate responsibility that many of the companies that have set up shop here have exhibited in other countries and even other areas of Canada make me highly doubtful of  them as white knights. I've seen what has gone on in the British Isles and know for a fact that an area sited near where I grew up has problems associated with the fish farm there. I wouldn't be much of a man if I didn't make noise, even if it rubs some people the wrong way.

http://

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #185 on: August 05, 2013, 10:12:47 AM »

And now there is Aquaculture because greed took care of an unsustainable wild fishery. Some day you will get over it NB. :)

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #186 on: August 05, 2013, 06:06:54 PM »

And now there is Aquaculture because greed took care of an unsustainable wild fishery. Some day you will get over it NB. :)

Blah de blaw. Blaw blaw blaw . Netpenning blaw de blaw blaw blaw.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #187 on: August 05, 2013, 06:18:29 PM »

Blah de blaw. Blaw blaw blaw . Netpenning blaw de blaw blaw blaw.
I would not expect a better reply from you TB. Just keep to the mumbling and bring nothing to the topic. :)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 06:23:58 PM by Fisherbob »

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #188 on: August 06, 2013, 03:28:50 PM »

another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #189 on: August 07, 2013, 10:49:12 AM »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #190 on: August 12, 2013, 06:43:35 AM »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #191 on: August 16, 2013, 04:09:53 PM »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #193 on: August 30, 2013, 06:25:56 AM »

There's that Marine Harvest name again.....Farmfisherbawb will be along shortly to tell us what wonderful folks they really are at heart.....
http://

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #194 on: August 30, 2013, 10:28:47 AM »

There's that Marine Harvest name again.....Farmfisherbawb will be along shortly to tell us what wonderful folks they really are at heart.....
Its ok Bonkers. If you think I am a fish farmer, I can see why you are sucked in by Morton. It would be "fun" for me to think you and the blind mice club are on her pay roll. Cant prove it, but it is fun to think it is true hehe. :)