Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rice Lake nov29th  (Read 3947 times)

hrenya

Rice Lake nov29th
« on: November 30, 2015, 06:12:12 AM »

as I expected from day before , lake was covered with ice probably to 65-70% , only far side of the lake was fishable . because of the ice our spot was maybe 30 feet of water and then it start forming ice , you can actually see it grows in the morning , and a bit melting after 11am when became warm . But overall conditions still icy and I`m pretty sure by Monday-Tuesday it will be frozen close to complete . pretty much same idea about fishing - 7am start 12 we leave , from 7-9 was pretty good bite , I couldn`t even get my back-up setup ready for about 20 minutes . all fish was about 20-30 away from shore .. I tried to cast to the middle where was no ice - but got nothing .

results :
it was my buddy`s turn today :) he slayed about 15 , I got about 10 .

typhoon

• Old Timer
Re: Rice Lake nov29th
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 07:02:10 AM »

"I couldn't even get my back-up setup ready for about 20 minutes."

I hope you're not fishing with 2 rods because that would be illegal.

hrenya

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 02:55:24 PM »

"I couldn't even get my back-up setup ready for about 20 minutes."

I hope you're not fishing with 2 rods because that would be illegal.
u don't need to worry about that part , I have 2 rods with me all the time :) long and short , depending where I fish and if I have enough room to cast , consider snags that do happen , I try to keep both of them ready to go , but 1 setup was snagged from a day before , so I casted the one that was ready and tried to retie my second one :) but couldn`t do it because of the bites .

I do fish legally and I do follow the rules , so I will really appreciate if comments like yours won`t take place in my reports , or I just won`t post anything . I`m pretty sure few people found this info helpful and won`t waste their time to drive to it if its frozen ....

TimL

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 03:15:53 PM »

lol..it looks like I may have to go to the urban lakes for some trout as well. Been hunting for cutties and dollies in the creeks and sloughs in my area (Tricities) for the past few weeks and so far nothing.

It's been years since I last fished for urban trout...brings back childhood memories. Thanks for the report. :)

hrenya

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 05:40:09 PM »

lol..it looks like I may have to go to the urban lakes for some trout as well. Been hunting for cutties and dollies in the creeks and sloughs in my area (Tricities) for the past few weeks and so far nothing.

It's been years since I last fished for urban trout...brings back childhood memories. Thanks for the report. :)

tim if you wanna slay some bully`s/vardens  - give me a shout . we can slay them pretty much right now in fraser :) as long as your hooks r barbless , we can meet up in Richmond and have a slay fest : )

TimL

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 11:24:05 PM »

Sure thing :D I still have quite a bit of chum roe left over in the fridge from coho season..hopefully still good for dollies! I was also thinking of heading over to the Fraser mouth on a good tide to bottom fish for some starry flounder...not sure exactly when but within the next few weeks or so. I'll PM/email you soon (or you can do the same).
Cheers
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 11:43:54 PM by TimL »

hrenya

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2015, 01:13:01 AM »

as long as your roe isn`t cure it should be ok , I just use salted roe or borax . not sure exactly about flounders (my bud was catching them at garry point) but I know herring will be coming soon :)

NothingToSnagAbout

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2015, 07:08:50 AM »

"I hope you're not fishing with 2 rods because that would be illegal."

Sorry, just for a newb to be clear, you can carry a spare rod with you to switch over for whatever reason, as long as both aren't cast?

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2015, 07:09:46 AM »

Sorry, just for a newb to be clear, you can carry a spare rod with you to switch over for whatever reason, as long as both aren't cast?
Correct.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2015, 07:12:21 AM »

Unless you're in a boat then you can fish 2 because boaters are special. ;)

fisherforever

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2015, 07:45:42 AM »

Unless you're in a boat then you can fish 2 because boaters are special. ;)
.   And you have to be alone in the boat on a lake.

Kever

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2015, 08:37:50 AM »

10-15 fish per outing is a lot. I guess first light bite is in full effect. I fished Saturday afternoon with worms and got 2 but missed some bites. Two was plenty though, it was such a beautiful day to be on the lake.

TimL

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2015, 01:27:25 PM »

Note that the 1 rod rule applies for the Fraser (both tidal and non-tidal) and non-tidal waters (with the exception of boats in a lake as mentioned above). If you are fishing in the ocean, you can fish with as many rods as you want whether you are on shore or on a boat  :)

TimL

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2015, 11:04:42 PM »

as long as your roe isn`t cure it should be ok , I just use salted roe or borax . not sure exactly about flounders (my bud was catching them at garry point) but I know herring will be coming soon :)
I have pro-cured roe..does that really make a difference when using salted or boraxed? I've gotten bites from trout with pro-cured..which is why I'm asking.. As for locations for flounder, I was also thinking Imperial Landing or the Middle Arm...Imperial Landing may be a better place to fish with lighter gear as it is relatively sheltered.

hrenya

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2015, 05:35:19 AM »

from last year/spring pro-cured stuff not really working ) dunno why but tons of bullheads attacks it right away ) salted/borax roe was really the trick for dollys and cohos . its not a big deal I can make some , In worst case you can buy salted roe from berrys , but make sure they give you nice stuff , not shyte :)