Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: SAGE RODS: Is the warranty honered if you buy the rod second hand.  (Read 6680 times)

Hooks_of_Fury

SAGE RODS: Is the warranty honered if you buy the rod second hand and you dont have the original receipt. Guy is selling a rod at 75% retail value is it worth it.  I would think so if its in mint condition and still under warranty.

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
Re: SAGE RODS: Is the warranty honered if you buy the rod second hand.
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 10:06:21 AM »

SAGE RODS: Is the warranty honered if you buy the rod second hand and you dont have the original receipt. Guy is selling a rod at 75% retail value is it worth it.  I would think so if its in mint condition and still under warranty.

As long as the original owner didn't register the rods. it should be honor by sage.

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 11:01:54 AM »

if you don't buy it at 75% of retail price, I will  ;) so yes the warranty is transferable

Hooks_of_Fury

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 12:19:29 PM »

if you don't buy it at 75% of retail price, I will  ;) so yes the warranty is transferable

haha your probably the guy selling

JPW

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 04:29:31 PM »

At 75% off a retail I'd be asking for a serial number to confirm with Sage that it's not stolen...

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 07:42:23 AM »

--asking if warranty is honored gives the impression the company is doing something wrong if they don't.
--the warranty is intended to apply to the original owner thus there is no obligation to fix a broken rod once sold a second time.

--it is insurance and some companies are now calling it just that... with replacement programs... these costs are added on to every new rod... more people making claims the price of the rods will go up for every original purchaser.

--the seller has taken into account that the warranty is not transferable thus has reduced the price to reflect that. I am sure the company would give you a reasonable discount if replacement or repair was required.

--most companies will give a discount on replacement even if no warranty.

Speyfitter

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 02:02:26 PM »

--asking if warranty is honored gives the impression the company is doing something wrong if they don't.

This is a VERY good, valid, and interesting point. What if the person in this thread bought a second hand Sage rod and Sage didn't "Honor" it if something happened. Keeping in mind that Sage technically has no reason to "honor" the warranty on a second hand purchased rod because their rods are technically only warrantied to the original owner, would the new owner feel cheated by Sage?

Which leads to the question - has anyone ever been asked by any of the companies that offer lifetime warranties on rods/reels/fishing gear, etc. , Sage or otherwise, to prove they are the original owner before warranty work was provided?

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 04:52:38 PM »

My experience with Sage has been very good. I purchased a second hand 3106 a few years ago with a blank warranty card so it had never been registered. They never asked if I was the original owner. They stand behind their product 110% and that is why their product costs so much

joshhowat

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 05:54:55 PM »

I broke a sage and sent it back and it was fixed. Yes I was the original owner but they don't ask anything about that.
Josh.
Eat, Sleep, Fish.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 11:48:50 AM »

the warranty is for the rod/blank not the owner...if it's a life time warranty they will honor it under their written agreement.