Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder September 29th, 2007 - no pic  (Read 2551 times)

charles

Vedder September 29th, 2007 - no pic
« on: September 29, 2007, 08:28:37 PM »

I was out with a friend first light in the canal.  Bump into another friend which was great fun.  Got some nice roe from Mykiss (Thanks Patrick) and hook a few jack springs... (Now I can tell the differences from jack spring and coho)...  I too was surprise how many people were there before first light.  Manage to grab a spot halfway at the pool and into many jack spring fights.  Released one and lost many by the shore :( ...  No coho no pink today.

Packed up before 11am...  went to upper to meet a couple other friends.  They have better luck connecting with cohos but bite were here and there. 

Drive around to another spot with only 10-15 people fishing a big pool.  Surprised to see the tip of the pool with 10 people were constantly picking up large springs (guess that is why all stayed there elbow to elbow) while us in the lower pool had only small jacks....

Anyway, still a very fun day.  Just the traffic going back to Vancouver was bad.  Hopefully the accident near the bridge resulted in no injury... (van, car, and motorcycle)...
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 11:34:43 AM by Rodney »

DionJL

• Old Timer
Re: Vedder 29 - no pic
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2007, 10:46:40 PM »

The accident was under the 152nd overpass, and it was a very minor accident with two morons who didn't move off the road. They caused hours of delays because they didn't move.

Yopesco

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2007, 10:11:29 PM »

Charles:

From what I have seen in previous years, ten people shoulder to shoulder at the tip of a pool in the Vedder is a sure sign of some place to stay away from, tempers tend to go wild. Also, usually what is going on on those situations is a lot of snagging and no much real fishing. If those guys were short floating with two feet leaders I'll swallow my words, but I'd bet anything they weren't.
Be happy about your small jacks!

Yopesco

charles

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2007, 10:28:37 PM »

Actually, they were hooking the large springs legit.  They were all sharing catches and taking turn to fight the fish.  I think they all know each other...  But they were not snagging at all.  I can't tell you if they are short floating with 2 foot of leader...  but from the way they control the fish's direction, I have no doubt that they hooked them in the mouth or at least close to it.

You know if you snag a fish anywhere but the head or tail, even a small pink will give you a harder time to bring in cause you can't control the direction (or turn the head of the fish).

Don't get me wrong, I was having a ton of fun there catching smaller jack and a possible 20lb+ spring (did not bring it in cause I don't want to walk the fish and lose my spot in the canal).  In fact the time I was there, there were very little snagging.  Long leader, yes, but snagging was a lot less than 2 weeks ago...

Yopesco

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2007, 10:38:03 PM »

Charles:

Then, I shall swallow my words and be happy that things are no always so bad.

Yopesco

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2007, 11:33:07 AM »

Dont be so sure Ypoesco...I saw lots of people with short leaders and a float but none the less they were flossing and snagging springs right left and center.  Generally speaking though, I did find the crowds co-operative and respectful on Saturday...I dont see any fish being dragged up on shore or booted.

Charles, you said: "Actually, they were hooking the large springs legit.....I have no doubt that they hooked them in the mouth or at least close to it." 

I have to disagree with this statement.  What the heck does "close to it" (ie the mouth) mean.  I use a saying: close only counts in horse shoes and hand granades (don't ask me I picked that up when I was young  ;) ) If we relax the rules ie hooked IN the mouth to allow flossing, were so we draw the line...when is "close enough", not good enough.

With all these biting fish which are very numerous right now, there is no reason to floss a fish and especially retaining fish that are foul hooked.  I saw a guy with a spring hooked in the top of the head...I told him it was snagged and he said no, anything in front of the gills is OK!!!  I hope thats not the way you think too but your statement makes me wonder?  :-\

Where were you fishing anyhow charles?  you described an area that sounds identical to what I fished on Saturday...I was in the same area as Merc, Jet Boat, Big Steel, etc. were you in that same run?

charles

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2007, 11:40:18 AM »

Gooey:

I totally agree with you that fish should be only legit if it is hooked inside of the mouth.  I was corrected though by ppl and swear that it is legit as long as it is in front of the gill plate.  I am not going to argue with them since they said the rule is in the book...  I have talked with so many ppl about fossing and bb 3-4 years ago and I was float fishing for sockeye when ppl think I am an idiot not to foss and bb for them...  And I still will float fish for them eventhough i can't catch any...  Then you know what my believe is.

I can't say where I fish here cause other people will flame me of telling...  But here is what I can say...  where those guys were, there are 2 other fellow fishing just acoss them and caught those large springs and lines were breaking a couple of time cause they were trying to horse the fish in :)  And the road driving there really hurts my little civic's suspension...

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2007, 12:26:54 PM »

Good for you for not caving in and taking the easy route (flossing).  I wish all fishers were on the same page.  It sounds like you were in a different area than me but similar type of thing going on. 

There was a group of about 10 people on the whole I was fishing...looked like an extended family unit and they must have had well over 200 lbs of fish on the beach and apparently they had been there the last 3 days  :o  The roe and guts were piling up deep (and rotting) at the top of the sand bar they took over and other garbage was left behind too.  When I pointed out that they had a chum, they asked me to show them which one as they didnt even know what species they had...I don't know but when you boil it all down, it seems some people are just takers...whatever the sink a hook into gets bonked. I really wish every fisher had the same level of respect for the environment and resource as the average fisher on this site.

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2007, 01:46:33 PM »

That is sad to hear Goey.  Please when going out fishing know your species :-\. If you are still unsure it wont hurt to bring a piece of paper of the different species and the distinguishable features they have.
weeeeeeeeeow!

allwaysfishin

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2007, 07:16:59 PM »

whenever i see those "whack em and stack em" little fishing parties where everything is getting killed regardless of species/condition... a phone call or 10 to the report line has twice seen conservation officers arrive and search the vehicle of said party... only to reveal a trunk full of fish, exceeding the catch quotas for the liscence holders on hand.

I always report these kind of groups