Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Another One?  (Read 5936 times)

Novabonker

• Old Timer
Another One?
« on: May 23, 2012, 09:53:51 PM »

http://

rjs

• work is over rated !!!!
Re: Another One?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 10:06:05 PM »

and probably not the last !!!! :(

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 11:42:59 PM »

And guess what, they are coho a pacific salmon known to carry the virus along with other pacific species......Man get with the program antis... ;D ;D
Take the T out of Morton.

rjs

• work is over rated !!!!

EZ_Rolling

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2012, 06:12:48 AM »

If a positive result comes back for the virus on their farm, Mainstream Canada still plans to harvest Atlantic salmon from Bawden Point because the fish will be ready for market and will not be harmful to humans

MMMMMMM yummy IHN 

Copper Koski

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2012, 08:56:14 AM »

And guess what, they are coho a pacific salmon known to carry the virus along with other pacific species......Man get with the program antis... ;D ;D
  Well I guess we have nothing to worry about then. Not like a group of infected overcrowded farmed coho salmon could possibly spread disease  ::)  It kind of makes you wonder why pacific salmon are allowed to be farmed on our coast.

Just one of the many threats our wild salmon have to face. I will admit there are greater problems looming, non farming related.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2012, 01:02:46 PM »

If a positive result comes back for the virus on their farm, Mainstream Canada still plans to harvest Atlantic salmon from Bawden Point because the fish will be ready for market and will not be harmful to humans

MMMMMMM yummy IHN 
I have always preferred my IHN laden Fraser River sockeye barbequed :D

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2012, 01:31:03 PM »

Just one of the many threats our wild salmon have to face. I will admit there are greater problems looming, non farming related.
No kidding!  I know some people like to blame salmon farms for the decline of wild salmon but when you consider all the present problems they face you realize how low on that list farming really is.  Then factor in what's ahead for these fish … potential pipelines, run of river projects, mining, pine beetle harvest, North Pacific salmon ranching, ocean acidification, climate change leading to warmer water, gutted environmental/scientific agencies, blah, blah.
There is only way to save wild salmon and that is to stop harvesting them. That won't happen and salmon farms aren't going away.

As a positive I see this IHN outbreak as an expensive opportunity for farms to reevaluate their fish health protocols.

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2012, 09:55:10 PM »

As a positive I see this IHN outbreak as an expensive opportunity for farms to reevaluate their fish health protocols.

What would you suggest dave?  from what I have seen net pen densities are at an all time low from 13 years ago.  When it comes to IHN I do not think it matters what Altantic salmon farmers do.  Its from the wild and the viral count vary from year to year.  This year the IHN count seem to be high in wild fish.  This is why it is popping up randomly here(in the beginning) and there.  I suspect that there will be more farms testing positive for this virus in the near future. 
   I wonder if alaska is doing any sampling from their variety of fisheries?

There is only way to save wild salmon and that is to stop harvesting them. 

And this is why Alexandra Morton is not a true wild salmon advocate.  She would not dare shed a tear against any of her followers.

IMO
Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2012, 12:40:52 AM »

The state of our country's fisheries is definitely not what it once was, heck it may never be next year what it was the year before. But I for one will not sit back and watch it disappear before my eyes - Complaining or gossiping about how bad things are without actually doing anything yourself is a complete hypocrisy IMO.

I encourage all to write a letter to your local MP, the premier, the fisheries minister, the environment minister, and whomever else you think might listen to any issues or concerns you have about fisheries related issues. It will probably take the same amount of time as it does posting on here...  ;)

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2012, 08:07:33 AM »

What would you suggest dave?  from what I have seen net pen densities are at an all time low from 13 years ago.  When it comes to IHN I do not think it matters what Altantic salmon farmers do.  Its from the wild and the viral count vary from year to year.  This year the IHN count seem to be high in wild fish.  This is why it is popping up randomly here(in the beginning) and there.  I suspect that there will be more farms testing positive for this virus in the near future. 
   I wonder if alaska is doing any sampling from their variety of fisheries
I suppose you're right aqua, there really isn't anything you can do, especially if net penned Atlantic densities are already low.  As you know, hatcheries and especially those that raise sockeye have all kinds of bio security mechanisms in place to prevent the spread of IHN, and they work well, but when the surrounding populations of salmon and herring are the carriers you are pretty much helpless.
On another forum it was said the Sechelt coho farm had tested negative for virulent IHN – any confirmation on that?

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2012, 08:37:22 AM »

Grieg has announced that the second test has come back as negative for the virus in their Sechelt farm. Of course, Ms. Morton hasn't personally confirmed the results and Grieg has refused to provide her with fish to test so she isn't accepting the result and suggests "they're out of control".

http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/print/CTVNews/20120525/bc_fish_farm_quarantine_120525/20120526/?hub=BritishColumbiaHome&subhub=PrintStory

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2012, 10:12:43 AM »

There is only way to save wild salmon and that is to stop harvesting them.

Just another pro-feedlot mantra that you boys keep repeating, to deflect the discussion of the risk these feedlots are inflicting on our wild salmon. The harvesting of wild salmon is at a historical all time low........    while proliferation of these ocean pens is at an all time high.

Coincidence?    .......  not likely.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2012, 02:18:12 PM »

Isn't it the anti's that are always saying "it is the one thing we can control"?

We certainly can control our harvesting.
Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2012, 03:38:39 PM »

Isn't it the anti's that are always saying "it is the one thing we can control"?

We certainly can control our harvesting.

Harvesting is being controlled!

DFO tells us that harvesting is controlled, which ensures that there are adequate spawners reaching the spawning grounds.

Unfortunately when the fry swim past the feedlots they are picking up sea lice and who knows what sorts of diseases. This aspect of salmon survival is not being adequately controlled and is likely resulting in lower ocean survival rates.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[