Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Drift Netting Has Begun On The Fraser River.  (Read 15577 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Drift Netting Has Begun On The Fraser River.
« on: April 13, 2005, 04:21:06 PM »

Just have been informed a large drift net was observed on The Fraser River in the Agassiz to Rosedale Bridge area today.

When the infraction was reported first to the FOC offices in Chilliwack and then Mission no contact could be made, only a recording.  :(

The reporting party then phoned the FOC ORR line and was told they were aware of the drift net.

To top it off he was told that it was a legal drift net. ::) ??? Does that mean there is legal drift netting year round on the Fraser River now.

The start of a very hot year on the Fraser and I do not mean hot water conditions.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Drift Netting Has Begun On The Fraser River.
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2005, 04:36:58 PM »

Chris, don't you know that the Indians need to fish 24/7/365 to feed their families, and meet ceremonial needs ? I say let them fish til they wipe out every salmon and steelhead. What's the point of reporting violations when all you get is a $^$ recording. I no longer report violations !  >:(

roeman

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2005, 05:00:10 PM »

If people quit buying fish from the indians maybe they would not net all the time.
Are you fishin or catchin

keithr

• If you want to know about me, see my website.
    • Our place in Mexico
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2005, 05:18:41 PM »

maybe I'll put a feather in my hat and buy a drift net.  or perhaps we should stop calling drift nets an "infraction."

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2005, 05:25:00 PM »

Have just found out the drift net was legal as the Cheam Band were given a permit by a FOC manager to catch 20 chinooks.

When FOC was questioned who would be monitoring the catch number the response was "they will be telling us when they have their allotted number". :o ???

Once again sounds like a farmer hiring the fox to guard the chicken house and then the farmer is surprised later and wonders why there is no chicken left.

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2005, 05:28:10 PM »

I object to people calling those gill nets 'drift nets'.
The term Drift Net comes from multi-mile long gill nets deployed by  fishermen on the high Ocean in a manner and for a purpose completely different than those little squib nets people see in the Fraser.
It's typical of British Columbians that they prefer to wallow in ignorance~bitch/carp and whine instead of educating themselves.
If it's a legal fishery then that's what it is-if not a few bales of hay dropped in the net will fix the perpetrators good.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2005, 05:35:34 PM »

In all respect what term should then be used to describe a net (set net anchored to the shore) and a net that is attached to a boat that is drifting freely down a river or stream?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2005, 05:43:59 PM »

"River drift gill net"

From William's Report (Hey I actually read the whole thing ;D ):

For obvious reasons, the driftnets employed in the Fraser River are shorter in length than their ocean counterparts but arguably more effective in that the fish are more concentrated during their river migration. Again, the fish which encounter a net but escape, suffer both physiological stress and net mark injuries. In addition, because of the size selectivity of the gill net, these escapes may have a cumulative effect on the gender ratio of fish which make it to the spawning grounds.

I think the "whine"/complaint here is whether the fishery is legal or not, but that there isn't a non-biased third party observing the fishery to get an accurate count.

Then again, at the same time, one can argue that each recreational angler is not accompanied by a fishery observer when out fishing. Poaching does exist in both groups, the potential significent difference is the amount being poached between the two.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2005, 06:31:37 PM »

When FOC was questioned who would be monitoring the catch number the response was "they will be telling us when they have their allotted number". :o ???

We all know that the Cheam Band does not speak with fork tongue ! :-X It's like the police asking the grow op operators to tell them they are growing pot

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2005, 07:54:57 PM »

In a time of low traffic on the river, I dont see why drift netting should be banned.  Let them get their fish as quickly as possible then get the **** outta the water.  If they can get their alotment in one drift as opposed to an extended opening then fine; makes monitorring easier

Keep in mind that out commercial fleet doesnt use set/anchored nets...they drift the river too.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2005, 08:40:24 PM »

In a time of low traffic on the river, I dont see why drift netting should be banned.  Let them get their fish as quickly as possible then get the **** outta the water.  .
It would be okay if they obeyed the law and fished only during the openings they are given.

However anyone that fishes the river regulary knows this does not happen and the loss of a major part of last years sockeye run was caused by overfishing as it went on 24/7 night and day by both methods of netting.

As I have said so many times if this goes unchecked much longer the fish will not be able to withstand the pressure and will be gone forever.

Can anyone dispute what happened on the East Coast as greed and poor management by FOC ruined a once wonderful fishery. Do not say it can not happen here as it can and will if things do not change in a hurry. :'( :-[ :(

pepsitrev

• Old Timer
  • my family and fishin are #1 in my life
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2005, 09:04:25 PM »

oh no here we go again :-X :-X  i say no more but i want my 20 salmon too

blueback

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2005, 09:51:40 PM »

I saw them netting on the river today as I drove past on Rosedale Bridge. Before I did that, I noticed a FOC truck on the Kent side. I was so glad to see an enforcement presence, I seriously considered stopping and telling the FOC guys how nice it was to see them; that area being Cheam country and all.

allwaysfishin

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2005, 09:53:39 PM »

my question is this
long before gillnets were made availlable to first nations fishers, how exactly did they gain access to chinook, or any other salmon from the fraser in april??
it is a fact that chinook migrate through the fraser system nearly year round, but the peak season when traditional spear fisheries took place years ago was not now, it was late summer.
So, would they have been able to harvest 20 chinook in one afternoon without a gillnet??? I think not.
My advice to all concerned is to join the Fraser Valley Salmon Society and get your voice heard. simple as that.
BE LOUD

I'll add this, I have nothing against food and ceremonial harvest by first nations.
I'm an aboriginal canadian by Metis status, and I absolutely abhor the use of gillnets by FN fishers. give em all a rod and reel and let em go to it, that's a big step up from a spear. I provide for my family quite well every year through hunting and fishing, let them use the same methods to provide for thiers.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2005, 09:57:25 PM by allwaysfishin »

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2005, 03:01:21 AM »

Isn't reserves meant to protect first nation culture and believes?  Their way of living isn't it harmony with nature? But with unattanded nets this will lead to over fishing, which leads to waste right?
And synthetic fibre nets really isn't first nations culture if they want to protect their culture shouldn't they be using traditional fishing methods?

I'm just curiouse.