Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My new spincast rod: any info on builder?  (Read 6350 times)

WestEast

My new spincast rod: any info on builder?
« on: April 11, 2005, 02:12:34 PM »

Just bought a 7.5ft spincast rod from Berry's who have a Sale on this week. I picked it because I was looking for an ultra lite to use for float fishing trout on the local lakes, a style I favour from my olde England floatfishing days. Rather than the Okura's, Shimano's et. al. I picked this one because it had an amazing, floppy, soft action similar to a 5wt fly rod. It's fibreglass, bamboo-coloured with a good cork grip. My invoice has "Rich Make #450" printed, and there is a signature on the rod, including "Vancouver, BC" in script. Anyone know anything about this rod builder, who has apparently retired ?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: My new spincast rod: any info on builder?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2005, 03:44:05 PM »

Richmake makes good rods. The company was located in the Interior.

WestEast

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2005, 04:57:35 PM »

Thanks F.A. By combining the name to one word "Richmake rods" in google, I found several interesting references and threads discussing this rodbuilder.

allwaysfishin

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2005, 10:15:15 PM »

your rod is built by Ken Richmake, he's by berry's from time to time i hear and is still building rods these days. You've got a sweet rod there, i know the one.

Sandhead

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2005, 08:16:46 AM »

I have a Steelhead drift rod that is custom made by "Rich-Make" it includes Vancouver, Canada on it. It's a rod that was pass down to me by my grandfather who I believe that Rod was custom made for. It would make sense to me that that Rich-Make were once built in Vancouver. The Rod is really well put together, but I find it alot heavier than my graphite rod.
Ain't no HO like a COHO

allwaysfishin

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2005, 12:19:19 PM »

i could be wrong but I believe "Richmake" rod blanks are made by lamiglas. Something else I have heard rumor of is that lamiglas is no longer making them. Sweet rods for glass blanks, some of the best salt chuck rods as well.

dlaw52

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2005, 04:56:35 PM »

I have several of these rods that I inherited from my uncle. ( I really enjoy fishing with them)  I enquired about them at Berry's and the gentleman there said they were the Fenwick blanks from when Fenwick was a Canadian company.

Regards 

Derek