Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Capilano Questions  (Read 9952 times)

HereFishyFishy

Capilano Questions
« on: March 31, 2005, 08:59:33 PM »

I want to fish the Capilano but I don't know where the good spots are. I know there are those pools by the Fish Hatchery that I have seen ppl at but where else? And what are the fishing boundaries? I know that there is native land along there and also the Suspension Bridge area.  I don't want to trespass anywhere I shouldn't be.
there are actual fish involved in fishing right?

HereFishyFishy

Re: Capilano Questions
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2005, 10:18:50 PM »

Yea, unfortunately I don't have a vehicle to get me there.

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2005, 10:34:19 PM »

Right now, there aren't many fish anywhere in the river.

If you wait until summer (I know it's a while...) then you should be able to pick up a few fish out in front of the mouth of the river. Tossing spoons and buzz bombs on the sand bars out in front can produce coho and chinooks. And if you're still restricted by a lack of vehicle at the end of the summer, try headng to Cates park to toss buzz bombs and spoons for pinks, I got my first salmon there, quite a nice little park.
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2005, 08:03:37 AM »

If you want to learn about the cap then i suggest you hide in the bushes infront of CF's house and tail him to the cap on day. 

He knows all the honey holes where those 18-20lb  northern coho hang out. 

That said I may start following him around.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2005, 01:41:22 PM »

If you want to learn about the cap then i suggest you hide in the bushes infront of CF's house and tail him to the cap on day. 

He knows all the honey holes where those 18-20lb  northern coho hang out. 

That said I may start following him around.

Don't forget about those 20+ steelheads  ;D ;D ;D

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2005, 07:46:53 PM »

Hey Gooey do think CF would let us know when the sockeye run starts at the Cap.  ;)

HereFishyFishy

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2005, 07:58:54 AM »

Another cap question, I heard it is better to fish there after a big rain like we are getting now. I've been checking that webcam with that concrete block and it seems pretty constant over the last few days. Would a good time to go be soon?

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2005, 08:25:13 AM »

Another cap question, I heard it is better to fish there after a big rain like we are getting now. I've been checking that webcam with that concrete block and it seems pretty constant over the last few days. Would a good time to go be soon?

Too soon for fish.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2005, 10:35:12 AM »

How do you get to cable pool, dog leg, and doctors pool? Never fished the cap, However I am booking 4 trips on the familey calendar for May-June. Come on guy's i really need these instructions.

I'm sure CF will post directions since he knows the river like the back of his hand. ;)

rerigger

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2005, 10:47:53 AM »

there's a map of all the pools up near the hatchery

Will_CARP

• I love fishing!
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2005, 08:07:38 PM »

There are fish in there. ;)  The river is just a little difficult to fish at first, you gotta explore and experiment yourself.

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2005, 09:00:05 AM »

Too early?  What happened to the March/April run that used to come in?  I used to fish the Cap years ago (10-15) and there was an early run of Coho.  Are they gone?

HereFishyFishy, enter the river at Keith Rd. on the West Van side.  Lots of places to explore in that area for starters.  Another spot is towards the hatchery.  Find the first parking lot and hike down the cliff to the river.  Good luck.  Be very careful at the Cap.  Pick a rock to watch at the rivers egde.  Keep checking the water level against the rock.  The water can come up FAST.  Get out in a hurry if it comes up by 1' in an hour.  Fishing is not worth your life.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2005, 09:02:23 AM by The Gilly »

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2005, 09:22:54 AM »

Gilly, thats dangerous advice...I have seen that river rise and fall 6 inches over the space of 30 minutes.  Bottom line is that the water level is totallly artificail/controlled by man.  It can be pouring out but if the dams low, they will keep it clamped down shut and on other days, they will spill a little water and it will come up unexpectedly

If you are new to the cap (especially this time of year) DONT WADE IT PERIOD!  Every year people get stranded on that river and we all remember when human error was responsible for the flood gates beign opened and the water jumping up 4 feet!

Even experience/competent fishers can get into trouble quickly on that river, be very careful!

HereFishyFishy

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2005, 04:09:09 PM »

I don't have waders so its okay.

Addicted To Steel

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2005, 08:32:03 PM »

HereFishyFishy;

Talk to Dave Steele at Highwater tackle on Lonsdale ave. in North Vancouver. He'll help you out. But do take the water conditions seriously. There has been lives lost on that river, as well as some rescue situations because of sudden river rise. Good Luck.