Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trout beads  (Read 9535 times)

SteelheadAdict

Trout beads
« on: March 15, 2014, 08:48:43 PM »

have u had Sucsess with them? personally i have caught my fair share of steelhead float fishing with them and bulls aswell.

Ian Forbes

Re: Trout beads
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 08:20:59 AM »

I seldom use beads, other than on spinners, but I DO use spun wool egg flies. They work like a hot damn everywhere fish feed on eggs.

Riverman

• old fart
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 10:04:54 AM »

I first started using them on the Adams.Having a variety of them allows for different presentation at different stages of spawning.I have used tied egg paterns as well.I like scented eggs for places like the Vedder where it is permitted.
Riverman

Pin-nook

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 08:22:51 AM »

I was shipped a HUGE sample pack with 12(50ea) different colours by Great Lakes Steelhead Company(Trick Em Beads) as I had gotten to know 1 of the co-founders through another forum. They look so real that I thought for sure another thing to add to the arsenal but had more confidence with what worked before. I have only used beads a handful of times but did hook a small doe holding in a pocket in fast water a couple years ago. Last year fishing with 2 buds; 1 using steelhead roe, I was using a jig and another buddy just using a tiny trout bead.

We started fishing a stretch with some long pocket water and first down was my buddy with steel roe while 2 of us were taking our time chatting and slowly making our way down. At the top of the run after buddy with steel roe had worked it with no bites, my buddy behind me batting cleanup gets two hits right away with 1 resulting with 1 chunky Bull. The first big pocket, our buddy with the roe says he may have had a bump but never had a solid hit after. I had a good feeling this pocket had a fish or 2 in it cause it looked too fishy not to, I ran my jig through it a few times before our buddy batting cleanup had caught up. I said I'm gonna throw the jig in that spot a couple more times before switching to a bead and on the second drift through my Buddy's float/bead was literally half a foot behind mine when his float rockets under and you see his line rippin to the other side of the river.  We knew this was no small fish as his rod was fully bent and wasn't slowing the fish down. To make a long story short, he eventually landed a chubby 16-17lbs wild buck with a tiny bead and there was already a roe bag recently broken off in the roof of it's mouth. He then went on to out fish us that day.  I personally think it all has to do with confidence and if you stick with it as well as presenting it properly then it should work.

Ian Forbes

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 10:44:48 AM »

I have countless stories of where a single egg outfished a chunk of fresh steelhead roe. Sometimes going down in size does matter.

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 12:16:14 PM »

A buddy and I hooked 16 steelhead in two days of guided fishing on the Stamp a few years ago using small orange beads of about 1/4 ".  Sold me on that approach.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 12:21:38 PM by VAGAbond »

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 02:36:31 PM »

I have seen guys catch huge rainbows in the Adams with single beads.

This happens right after the Sockeye spawn in the Shuswap.

NexusGoo

• I like fishing goo
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2014, 06:30:59 PM »

Depending on the water level and clarity, I like going down in size to either a trout bead or a single Jensen egg. Have had a few good day for Steelies

likely

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2014, 08:13:19 PM »

They work well in the quesnell river and cariboo river

riptide

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2014, 10:37:07 PM »

Do you find a trout bead much different than a traditional corkie
Fishing is not a matter of life or death ...it's more important than that

Dogbreath

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2014, 11:21:37 PM »

I was in a bead store on Granville Island on the weekend and the clerk told me that whenever men go into the store they're always after beads in shades of Red or Orange.

I couldn't believe the selection & the prices in the place-both outstanding-great service too.

Ian Forbes

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2014, 11:22:44 PM »

It all depends on the water level, current speed and time of year. Oddly enough, steelhead will ignore a large, bare hook and just take the tiny bead attached to it. I once caught a summer-run on a tiny steelhead egg that did not cover the tip of a bare, 6/0 hook. The steelhead had previously refused fresh roe, a spinner and a spoon. The fish was hooked in the tip if his snout. I've experienced similar events over 50 years of fishing steelhead all over the province.

Ian Forbes

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2014, 11:34:10 PM »

I was in a bead store on Granville Island on the weekend and the clerk told me that whenever men go into the store they're always after beads in shades of Red or Orange.

I couldn't believe the selection & the prices in the place-both outstanding-great service too.

Oh thay, thum of my friends shop at the thame store... ;)

Pin-nook

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2014, 07:33:48 AM »

Ian, this isn't a trick question right? I'm thinking the person on the very right, the rest are suspect! It's Thailand after all, you can never be sure! ;)

SteelheadAdict

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2014, 08:59:02 AM »

yes i find the corkie's don't look as natural when drifting down the run and i dont think cokies look as good my friend the egg beads