Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Want to know  (Read 2108 times)

SteelheadAdict

Want to know
« on: July 28, 2012, 04:26:20 PM »

Can i use a spinning rod to fish for coho on the beach and were can i go with in a 3 hour drive from abbotsofrd and whay should i use what kind of set ups

alan701

Re: Want to know
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 05:22:19 PM »

for coho.. spinning rod is great. within 3 hours you can go to many places. Do you mean the beach like the ocean or fraser river beaches? Right now its early for coho unless you go to the capliano in north vancouver..it doesn't have beaches (in the upper section at least) they have an early run and they might be biting now.. sometimes they don't. They are smaller than normal so light gear is nice. Other coho come in October and you can catch them in the vedder river.. tidal fraser as well but i have never tried it.

SteelheadAdict

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 09:00:38 PM »

lol thanks i know about the vedder iam a huge spey fisher of the vedder lol out every day during coho season on the vedder the pitt any were that has coho i have pretty much fished and cocered lol and yes i ment the ocean i was told to go ambile side in the mouth of the cap but was wondering if there was any were else i could go lol i have lelvel winds and stuff but i mostly spey fish for all salmon now havnt picked up a gear rod in 2 years for salmon so i want try taking up salmon fishing from the beach on the ocean

SteelheadAdict

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 09:01:15 PM »

what do u recomend using for them spinner spoons and what type ?

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 09:10:49 PM »

Use your fly or spey/switch rod.
Farther out you can bomb the better and if you've been casting that long now you should easily be able to get out to them.
Try California neils in green and teal. Sand lance patterns and other baitfish patters (mickey finns, rolled muddlers, etc) will also work.

As for spoon fishing, that is best when the coho are way off beach and you need to really BOMB it.
I use a 9 ft shimano rod rated 1/8-3/8, 4-10 pnd test. It's perfect for them in rivers and off the beach. Can put spoons a football field off shore with that rod.
Off beaches you can't beat the gold hammered croc with the orange fire stripe in 3/8. If that ain't working try a blue fox spinner size 4 in blue or orange.
Rivers... Koho (orange/illusion), Little cleos (silver and silver/orange), kwobbler (silver) and of course crocs are your best bet. Kitmats also rock in illusion.

Cheers,
Dan

SteelheadAdict

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 11:00:14 PM »

Thannks man I will probably take my 9 weight G-loomis
Dredger I love that rod it's fantastic rod it says it can handle 650 grains but u can pump out 780

SteelheadAdict

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012, 11:02:16 PM »

What about about clousers

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2012, 11:26:58 PM »

Clousers will work fine. Im a big fan of orange or blue for coho. Flash clousers will work great too.

SteelheadAdict

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2012, 07:44:47 AM »

Ok thanks I have always liked orange as well it works great I also like dark purple and blues