Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Will you be attending SSBC's 2012 AGM?

Yes! :)
No. :(

Author Topic: The Steelhead Society of BC's Annual General Meeting  (Read 14957 times)

Sandy

• Old Timer
Re: The Steelhead Society of BC's Annual General Meeting
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2012, 08:19:53 PM »

members of the SSBC have hosted youngsters at the Fraser valley hatchery in the recent past, for the very reasons you stated; I hope we can do so again in the near future.

Not to be confused with supporting the use of Hatchery Steelhead in wild rivers. I would rather see monies and time spent on habitat restoration or protection, with the aim to encourage the growth and quality wild steelhead populations. Science seems point out that over population can also be a detriment to the surviving wild populations of wild rivers.
As for what you do to help, that is up to you, the SSBC is just one of the many groups. I'd encourage any parent to involve their kids as joint family effort. Who knows, maybe   one or two of them just might be the Fish advocates that take over from those of present day folks. I'd be really happy if Kids had credits for doing so at school; Hey sports does ,why not River/fishery advocacy? 

What it boils down to, is that being involved at least you can have input; giving up a day on occasion is a cheap donation towards the Stewardship cause. I certainly would be happy to compile a list of those that are able to be called on should the manpower be required.
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

floatfisher

« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2012, 08:22:24 PM »

So you only gear fish Jim? No fly or spey? When I was there and said I only gear fished I was looked down upon it felt like. Sort of the same way as when trying to fish the "Y" run on the Thompson or the graveyard run. All the spey guys get in a HUGE huff even though I come in the run behind them, take my time and keep my distance from them. I still have had threats of smashed windshields and flats tires from anglers wearing SSBC hats. Maybe you're an individual that truely cares for the fish and don't care what method is used to fish for them though.

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2012, 08:31:19 PM »

It would be easier and more informative for one to check something out before reservIng judgement based on assumptions and generalizations. Jus sayin'

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2012, 08:41:37 PM »

Sandy - WVSS has a EPN (environmental protection network) class for high school students. It's partnered with a small organization I belong to in west van. Students get credit for the course and conduct spawner surveys and small habitat restoration projects on small creeks  - such as invasive species removal, planting shady trees for rearing fry etc. it would definitely be nice to see more schools come on board.

float fisher - anyone can buy a SSBC hat online... it's a shame they threatened you though nonetheless

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2012, 08:46:54 PM »

Sandy - WVSS has a EPN (environmental protection network) class for high school students. It's partnered with a small organization I belong to in west van. Students get credit for the course and conduct spawner surveys and small habitat restoration projects on small creeks  - such as invasive species removal, planting shady trees for rearing fry etc. it would definitely be nice to see more schools come on board.

float fisher - anyone can buy a SSBC hat online... it's a shame they threatened you though nonetheless

That is good news! I'm not sure how one would try to take this further with the other SB's or schools. Is it the headmaster's discretion or is it from the school board or even the province. Ecology ?

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

floatfisher

« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2012, 08:47:40 PM »

fishunter I guess you're right about buying the hat online. It never popped into my head when I typed what I did while I recalled the memory. But yeah why do the spey anglers think they're far superior to gear guys and think they own the "T". A different time in a different thread I guess, but I think it would get too heated and be shut down lol.

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2012, 08:48:28 PM »

"I have also been to an AGM and found that if I didn't prance around with feathers and a spey rod that I was a lesser angler"

well over half of the room is gear fishers.....like me.
and me allbeit part time.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2012, 08:49:18 PM »

it's a shame they threatened you though nonetheless

I agree.  As a fly fisher, I am shocked and appalled.  I hereby revoke my membership in such a narrow-minded and elitist institution. :-[
Not all those who wander are lost

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2012, 09:07:39 PM »

I agree.  As a fly fisher, I am shocked and appalled.  I hereby revoke my membership in such a narrow-minded and elitist institution. :-[

I'd suggest folks ask around especially so with the BOD, yes there are many flyfishers, some even are spey caster, BUT I think just as many are gear fishers. I know I fish with either, depending on conditions ,mood or health on that particular occasion.

ALL are doing it because they care about the Fish and it's habitat.

Schenley

« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2012, 09:17:42 PM »

There are a whole bunch of schools involved in fisheries programs tailored to different age groups.  Check out this website... http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/education/index-eng.htm

No need to reinvent the wheel.  Other organizations also have curriculum aids focusing on aquatic environmental education  (TU for example)

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2012, 10:07:37 PM »

We have one high school here in Maple Ridge that has a course that is geared towards the enviroment. It is run by KEEPs at Samuel Robertson Technical school and is a great program.

This year the school district started a partnership with SFU and started an Enviromental school for kids in K-Grade 7 and it is an amazing program. My son is in it and he loves it. It is a 5 year pilot program with hopes that it will really catch on and it will become a permament program. These kids spend their entire day everyday outside in the elements. They have started working with the Alouette river management society doing work in the upper reaches of the river. I could go on and on about what great things they get to do.
I hope that in the future it will be in alot more of the school districts as this will get that younger generation involved.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2012, 10:19:19 PM »

fishunter I guess you're right about buying the hat online. It never popped into my head when I typed what I did while I recalled the memory. But yeah why do the spey anglers think they're far superior to gear guys and think they own the "T". A different time in a different thread I guess, but I think it would get too heated and be shut down lol.

Haha...I think that has come up several times in other threads lol so...no comment  ;D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2012, 02:58:13 AM »

The same discussion is taking part on flybc and I've posted my thoughts on this subject over there because most participants in that thread are SSBC members, take a look if interested:

http://forum.flybc.ca/index.php?s=&showtopic=35452&view=findpost&p=417551

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2012, 07:07:10 AM »

Those that are inclined to join (details)
http://www.steelheadsociety.org/become-member
The Form ( with paypal details)

http://www.steelheadsociety.org/sites/default/files/SSBCMembershipForm.pdf

or to donate
http://www.steelheadsociety.org/donate

joining up is great ,joining up and being active and involved is better :) As for the negative talk of methodology of Angling, most could care less, as long as it;s legal within the regs.
The Past? is what it is, we have to learn from past mistakes to plan for the future.

Finaly got an idea or have a project that you need help with?? get in touch !

got questions , get in touch with me or any other Director on the list.

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2012, 05:36:04 PM »

So you only gear fish Jim? No fly or spey? When I was there and said I only gear fished I was looked down upon it felt like. Sort of the same way as when trying to fish the "Y" run on the Thompson or the graveyard run. All the spey guys get in a HUGE huff even though I come in the run behind them, take my time and keep my distance from them. I still have had threats of smashed windshields and flats tires from anglers wearing SSBC hats. Maybe you're an individual that truely cares for the fish and don't care what method is used to fish for them though.

flyfish and gear fish....still manage to go through 50 lbs of roe a year.

if guys look down at you they have a problem.....heck I might fish the thompson with bait next year just so i can brush up on my boxing....lol