Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Will you be attending SSBC's 2012 AGM?

Yes! :)
No. :(

Author Topic: The Steelhead Society of BC's Annual General Meeting  (Read 14954 times)

Arnie

Re: The Steelhead Society of BC's Annual General Meeting
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2012, 10:51:45 AM »

Hi James,

As Chris stated, feedback is good and always appreciated! As per your post, thanks for donating as this is what keeps the front-line work for steelhead rolling along. Nobody enjoys attending a boring or stuffy meeting, but an annual AGM is part of the process with any charitable organization, just as it would be with any corporation. As the process dictates, we must stick to a fairly strict set of formalities with an event like this in order to take care of the business at hand. All that said, what we can do, is invite guest speakers, have raffle and 50/50 draws, and try to keep the mood as light as possible. In the case of this years AGM, we had Bob Hooton author of "Skeena Steelhead - Unknown Past, Uncertain Future"(great book by the way!!), Mike Wallis and Sean Bennett discussion current and past restoration projects incl. our Spius Creek Project, and Rob Bison. Rob Bison is the fisheries biologist with the Ministry of Environment, whose work gave way to this year's Thompson opening. He gave us a look at just why the Thompson was opened, the science behind it, and what we might be able to expect in upcoming years. Quite a unique opportunity to hear a few of the top steelhead experts speak and get a far better understanding of what is going on with the Thompson first-hand.

As far as finding more enjoyable ways to get people to attend and get involved; that's the idea behind events like our Spius Creek - Pub night fundraiser that was held at the Bourbon a short while ago. Lots of fun, and no particular agenda other than rasing awareness and funds to get the most important work done.....on the rivers themselves. Look for a LOT more events like this in the future from SSBC!!

Our ears are always open to any suggestions you might have, and I encourage anyone that would like to get involved to become a member. Many hands make light work.

Cheers!

James

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2012, 01:08:34 PM »

I apologize for the negative comment referring to the "stuffy" room etc ... it wasn't my intention to cast negativity about what the ssbc is doing . I guess I should have been there to be able to better relate to the atmosphere . I din't realize that there were rules/guidelines that needed to be followed as far a the AGM .
I think the ssbc is doing a great job , and it is appreciated by many .

Arnie

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2012, 02:22:58 PM »

Hi James,

No sweat whatsoever. The kudos on the SSBC's work are completely appreciated!

The best thing for any of these organizations is membership....and we simply can't get enough. Just remember, more members = a louder and stronger voice for all things steelhead. Also helps if we can spread the word far and wide when it comes time to raise funds and awareness for various issues. Here's a link: http://www.steelheadsociety.org/become-member

As far as positive suggestions for getting folks involved and to come out to our events, again, we're all ears :)

Cheers!

floatfisher

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2012, 02:57:06 PM »

Why have the AGM on a saturday? Most people work monday-friday and spend their weekends broken between chores around the house, family and fishing. Also I only ever hear of the AGM is there no other meetings that my membership money would go to? More than just sign up pay your membership fee and see you next year would be an idea too. Have a summer BBQ maybe where families can get involved. Heck the summer event could even be on a river or stream that the SSBC is doing some work on or at a hatchery possibly. The only time I ever hear of the SSBC is this time of the year when they whine that their membership is down and can't get the "younger generation" into the society. Maybe it's not the younger generation, maybe it's the fact that the society is not in touch with the younger generation by not being out there with some advertisement, events or something.

But that's just my thoughts and opinion. Maybe I just live in a cave and don't get away from family, work and fishing enough to see some advertisement or attempt to appeal to the younger generation.

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2012, 04:36:00 PM »

Why have the AGM on a saturday? Most people work monday-friday and spend their weekends broken between chores around the house, family and fishing.

If it was durring the week you would complain because you had to work. There is no one day that will work for everybody so you have to pick A day.

The AGM is a meeting that all members are invited to, but there are meeting every month that directors attend to discuss the best ways your money can help steelhead and what projects to get involved in.

Through out the year there are projects posted that volenteers can help out with.

There was recently a spius creek Thompson river steelhead fundraiser pub night in Vancouver at a good pub with live band and auction.

There are call outs to help by sending letters when there is an issue they are trying to build a voice against.

They are present at the M&Y spey clave which is a popular well attended event.

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2012, 05:14:05 PM »

I thought the speakers were awesome and actually leaned a lot at that meeting. The "formal" part of it was much shorter that the guests speakers, and in fact there were so many questions that the meeting went Well over the projected time. Unfortunately I had to leave before I heard the society-specific information and election part of it, but I know that the majority of the meeting was far from boring.

I believe the SSBC does great work and am both proud and happy to have paid my dues and bought a hat in support to their cause and to help spread awareness on the rivers, and encourage others to do the same - for, as Rob Hooton said: "these are the good old days", and we as anglers should make every effort to conserve the resource which we care so dearly about, for we too are taking from it.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 09:32:43 PM by silver ghost »

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2012, 05:21:57 PM »

again I hear it ...."whats in it for me"  how about looking at the SSBC web site and READING about the various projects your money goes to.

how about do it for the fish ! you take from them all year long and spend thousands doing it , but wont donate a few hours to find out whats really going on.

like I said I would have rather gone fishing too.

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2012, 05:24:09 PM »

that the SSBC is doing some work on or at a hatchery possibly.

if you read about the SSBC you would see  that they do not support a hatchery program.

WILD FISH WILD RIVERS

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2012, 05:27:58 PM »

If people came to these maybe, like you say, they would see what's really going on and theoretically have a stronger voice tht may be better heard and lead to better returns for us to take from as a result of say, commercials and FN negotiations

James

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2012, 05:44:12 PM »

if this thread were to have taken place before the agm , maybe more would have attended ?

this kind of "talk" is what gets peoples attention and gets people out to meetings .

Publicity is publicity , regardless if it is good or bad , here we are discussing the bad side of the meeting . but it is making wish I had gone to the meeting .

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2012, 05:52:20 PM »

if this thread were to have taken place before the agm , maybe more would have attended ?

this kind of "talk" is what gets peoples attention and gets people out to meetings .

Publicity is publicity , regardless if it is good or bad , here we are discussing the bad side of the meeting . but it is making wish I had gone to the meeting .

True. IMHO it was very informative. I'll never get another chance to ask fisheries biologists questions in that setting again. I was impressed. Free food was also a bonus ;)

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2012, 06:49:45 PM »

I had hoped to make this meeting (and to renew my membership) but my wife was called in to work so I had to stay home with the kids.  It sounded like as interesting a AGM as one could hope for.  Not sure how you could make it more interesting without hosting it streamside.
Not all those who wander are lost

floatfisher

« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2012, 07:17:32 PM »

if you read about the SSBC you would see  that they do not support a hatchery program.

WILD FISH WILD RIVERS

I have read the SSBC and understand wild fish wild rivers. However I only mentioned at a hatchery because the opportunity to have younger children at a hatchery where they can see fish and capture their attention is a GREAT way to have them get into the sport. I guess me having some kids from the "younger generation" which the SSBC so badly wants to have as members wouldn't care for some input on how to get those members. I never said they had to support a hatchery, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to have a BBQ where kids can see fish and learn about them to get them hooked on the sport. Then depending on their age take them out fishing weeks or years later and explain the SSBC angle to them. I have also been to an AGM and found that if I didn't prance around with feathers and a spey rod that I was a lesser angler. That is the impression that I got and maybe that's why membership numbers are down, as there is less gear guys going these days? I'm all there for helping steelhead however I have never seen any notices on fishing forums about events or meetings or anything.

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2012, 08:04:17 PM »

"I have also been to an AGM and found that if I didn't prance around with feathers and a spey rod that I was a lesser angler"

well over half of the room is gear fishers.....like me.

greyghost

• Poach the poacher!
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2012, 08:07:34 PM »

"I have also been to an AGM and found that if I didn't prance around with feathers and a spey rod that I was a lesser angler"

well over half of the room is gear fishers.....like me.

Hahahaha... Very well put Jim!.....Hahahaha  ;D
Have you talked too someone for a while and thought too yourself.......
"who ties your shoelaces for you"