Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Will you be attending SSBC's 2012 AGM?

Yes! :)
No. :(

Author Topic: The Steelhead Society of BC's Annual General Meeting  (Read 14955 times)

Steelhead Society of BC

• Steelhead Society of BC
The Steelhead Society of BC's Annual General Meeting
« on: January 12, 2012, 10:11:32 PM »

The Steelhead Society of BC is presenting the annual general meeting on January 28, 2012.

Time: 10:00 am

Location: BCGEU Fraser Valley Area Office , 8555 - 198A Street, Langley, BC

There will be a summary of this past year's actions and progress of the Steelhead Society of BC (SSBC). We will have membership renewals and SSBC swag on hand for purchase. Please note only SSBC members in good standing can attend the business meeting and elections proceedings. The business meeting consists of the president's report, the presentation of the Cal Wood's Award, treasurer's report, bylaw change and membership report. Also, there will be a briefing package and letter writing session regarding the proposed Enbridge Northern Gateway pipeline project. We will also have some great raffle prizes available.

Presenters:

Mike Wallis and Shawn Bennett, Wallis Environmental Aquatics Ltd: "Spius Creek Restoration Project"

Bob Hooton, former Steelhead biologist for the Ministry of Environments's Skeena region and author of "Skeena Steelhead": "State of the Skeena Steelhead"

Rob Bison, fisheries biologist for the Ministry of Environment managing the Thompson river Steelhead: "Current Science Re: Thompson River Opening"

We hope everyone can attend this exciting AGM. Thanks for all your support!

Wild Fish, Wild Rivers

Chrome Mykiss

Re: The Steelhead Society of BC's Annual General Meeting
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 08:04:17 PM »

Winter steelheading is in full swing in the Lower Mainland right now, but I hope you guys can come out to the AGM next Saturday. There are many issues going on in our province that threaten Steelhead at this present time. The Kokish river on Northern Vancouver Island is on the brink of being funnelled through a pipe and through a run of the river power project. The Enbridge Northern Gateway Pipeline project is a 1,177km long pipeline that will carry 525, 000 barrels of petroleum per a day from Edmonton to Kitimat. This pipeline will wind it's course right through the watersheds of the Fraser, Skeena (Babine, Morice, Bulkely and Copper) and Kitimat rivers. The Skeena is home to the greatest intact wild Steelhead populations left on earth.

Please come out and listen to our great speakers and learn a few things about issues that threaten steelhead in BC. Also come out and see what you can do to help out our steelhead. If you want to continue to angle for these majestic fish in the future we must do what we can to protect and rehabilate the their home streams. We spend so much effort in pursuit of these great sport fish, can we not spend some of this effort to protect them? It's true a lot of us have only seen Steelhead on rivers in Lower Mainland streams, but can you imagine if the only Steelhead left are the hatchery supplemented runs in BC? These fish have evolved and adapted since the last ice age, will they survive the plight of human society?  

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 06:32:37 PM »

Kinda depressing theres so much attention to river conditions, weather updates, steelhead info and reports on here right now and theres not one member whos commented on this, other then the people who are allready involved in attending these and other SSBC get togethers I know of who will be in attendance(you guys know who you are).......very sad.

See ya there.

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 07:43:43 PM »

i might go !

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 03:03:13 PM »

I'll be there, pen at the ready ;)

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 11:34:09 PM »

Kinda depressing theres so much attention to river conditions, weather updates, steelhead info and reports on here right now and theres not one member whos commented on this, other then the people who are allready involved in attending these and other SSBC get togethers I know of who will be in attendance(you guys know who you are).......very sad.

See ya there.

Yep.  Look how many people jump on someone wearing a glove holding a fish... the number of replies is huge relative to any conservation-related thread.

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 06:53:05 PM »

Yep.  Look how many people jump on someone wearing a glove holding a fish... the number of replies is huge relative to any conservation-related thread.

haha so true. I wonder what people will attack each other for on here when the resource is gone?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 07:24:41 PM »

See ya there.
No easy answer or solutions to this situation as it happens all the time on so many environmental issues. For example in 10 years and with close to 40 cleanups on the Chilliwack Vedder River put on by the Chilliwack Vedder River Cleanup Society it always surprises us considing this river is on the most heavily fished river in BC used by thousands of fishers how few anglers do come out to these cleanups. Saying that there is a few FWR forum members that make most of the 3 cleanups we hold each year or have come to the odd one over the years.

Being involved for 30 plus years in many environmental issues over that time I have seen over that time what you are faced with. As I say no easy answers so all you can do is do the best you can and hope the few dedicated people in the many organizations like the SSBC will be able to preserve the environment, our wild fish stocks and fishing opportunities that so many of us hold dear to our hearts. It of course is a difficult task as they are under attack more and more each year as it seems the almighty dollar always comes first.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 07:27:38 PM by chris gadsden »

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 07:39:06 PM »

Nice post Chris :)

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2012, 12:54:49 AM »

No easy answer or solutions to this situation as it happens all the time on so many environmental issues. For example in 10 years and with close to 40 cleanups on the Chilliwack Vedder River put on by the Chilliwack Vedder River Cleanup Society it always surprises us considing this river is on the most heavily fished river in BC used by thousands of fishers how few anglers do come out to these cleanups. Saying that there is a few FWR forum members that make most of the 3 cleanups we hold each year or have come to the odd one over the years.

Being involved for 30 plus years in many environmental issues over that time I have seen over that time what you are faced with. As I say no easy answers so all you can do is do the best you can and hope the few dedicated people in the many organizations like the SSBC will be able to preserve the environment, our wild fish stocks and fishing opportunities that so many of us hold dear to our hearts. It of course is a difficult task as they are under attack more and more each year as it seems the almighty dollar always comes first.

:'( that was beautiful.

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2012, 08:23:43 AM »

AGM is today guys!

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2012, 06:09:46 PM »

See ya there.

and where were you today ?

James

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2012, 07:23:20 PM »

i am not a member of the ssbc . but I do donate .

my opinion , as a outsider ..... Reading the Advertising poster for the "annual general meeting" just seems so boring that i would not even look twice or think about attending .

if membership and attendance is declining , why not try to make it more enjoyable to attend . don't take my suggestion as a insult to the hard work and dedication the people of such committee and societies do . they are saving this province fisheries and rivers . no doubt . But what about taking a different apporach to bringing awareness . other than stuffy "meetings"

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2012, 08:44:58 PM »

i am not a member of the ssbc . but I do donate .

my opinion , as a outsider ..... Reading the Advertising poster for the "annual general meeting" just seems so boring that i would not even look twice or think about attending .

if membership and attendance is declining , why not try to make it more enjoyable to attend . don't take my suggestion as a insult to the hard work and dedication the people of such committee and societies do . they are saving this province fisheries and rivers . no doubt . But what about taking a different apporach to bringing awareness . other than stuffy "meetings"

What would you suggest should be done to make it more enjoyable for more people attend?  I am sure people that put similar meetings together would appreciate some positive suggestions and ideas.

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2012, 09:47:21 AM »

Chris , I think the young fellas wont relise till its gone..............remember what it was like ?