Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Upper Pitt River, June 26th 2012  (Read 1286 times)

odesseus

Upper Pitt River, June 26th 2012
« on: June 28, 2012, 11:19:53 AM »

Went out Tuesday after work to the Upper Pitt; water levels were higher but lots of great runs to fish along the banks. Wading back and forth was out of the question however due to the current (not that I didn't try at least twice though and got wet in the process). Finding the right holes where fish are holding took quite a bit of work in each run; working up and down, with different casts to pinpoint the spots. We covered quite a bit of river and tried a few different types of gear, weights, floats and flies.  Interestingly enough the runs that held most of the coho in the fall were moving far to fast at this time of year for the bull trout.

Once we uncovered the right combination of location and lure however, it was very, very worth it. Between three good holes we landed and released a total of 15 fish between the two of us for about 4 hours work. The largest fish, although not weighed, felt about 8 lbs (much like a coho or smaller sockeye).

What beautiful, hard fighting fish, and amazing scenery. Highly recommended destination.

Driller

• Keeping it real.
Re: Upper Pitt River, June 26th 2012
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 10:41:54 PM »

Cool.  Did you go up in a jet boat?  How far did you go up?
Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

odesseus

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 06:35:19 AM »

Took a helicopter right up to where the ridge pinches the river (about 10 min flying past the lodge) and then worked our way back down. Saw a few groups with jet boats further down playing fish though so that would also be a viable option.

Driller

• Keeping it real.
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 03:28:51 PM »

Sounds like an incredible trip.  I've been in many helicopters for work, but never for fishing.  I've never been up to the end of the lake but I'd like to check it out.  I always thought I could beach my boat somewhere and head up the road on foot.  Even a 5 km trip up the road on foot wouldn't take long, and I should still be able to reach a few spots to fish.  One of these days.
Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.