Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: tariff about imported fishing rod  (Read 3074 times)

LOVESALMON

tariff about imported fishing rod
« on: March 30, 2010, 11:26:54 PM »

hi..

Isn't anyone who bought fishing rod from us?

I am just wondering how much i have to pay tariff on $ 600 rod.

If you have a experience like this, let me know..

Thanks..

dennyman

• Old Timer
Re: tariff about imported fishing rod
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 11:59:53 PM »

I am assuming you are going to be declaring and bringing the  rod in yourself. If you have it brought in by UPS for instance you will be subject to their brokerage fees and whatever duty and taxes are applicable. I would not go that option because it could cost you a few bucks once it is said and done.
The best way is to go on a holiday and then you are allowed to bring in on a sliding scale certain amounts duty free. For instance, if you are on holiday in the U.S. for more than one week, you would not have pay any duty or taxes on your rod.  Now if  you go on a day trip, you will have to pay duty and taxes on the rod. It will be based on the GST, provincial tax, and whatever applicable duty once they look it up on the schedule. Depending on who does the calculation you can get quite a bit of latitude, but I would think you would not have to pay more than fifty to eighty dollars to bring your new rod into Canada.

LOVESALMON

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 12:10:47 AM »

Thank you so much, dennyman.

CameronT120

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 09:24:26 AM »

If you're having it shipped, avoid UPS at all costs.  Their brokerage fees to Canada are ridiculous, to say the least.  Ask the shipper to use USPS to ship.  If they won't do that, take your business elsewhere.

prairiefire

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 12:50:23 PM »

I'll second it about avoiding UPS as a shipping option. They'll add a large brokerage fee on. The duty will also vary on where the rod is made. If it is made in US not overseas there will be no duty on it just GST and maybe PST. If it is manufactured overseas there will be duty on it. You can also get it shipped to a mailing address on the border. I use Pacific Mail and Parcel in Blaine or there is also Package Express in Sumas. They charge a minimal fee and you can usually get free shipping in the lower 48 states. Then you have to declare it at the border and depending on how long you've been across they will charge duty based on that. Hope this info helps.

P.S. Keep supporting our local shops! ;D
"Assholes are like opinions, everybody got to have one."-Method Man

LOVESALMON

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 01:25:05 PM »

Thanks All.