Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stave River, October 14th 2008  (Read 1055 times)

Hohummm

• I'm a llama! and llamas are bigger than frogs
Stave River, October 14th 2008
« on: October 14, 2008, 11:28:07 PM »

Well, I had a few hours to spare today so headed out to the Stave this morning. I normally fish the west side, near the trailer park so imagine my delight to see no cars as I drove up! Tide was pretty well at high slack, so not to much current flowing in this area. Fished for about an hour or so without a hit. Didn't see a single fish show in this area the entire time I was there..Weird....

Took a walk a little further upstream and found the usual bunch "catching" the occasional chum in one of the main fast flows on the west side, but not a spot I enjoy fishing so I didn't wet my line here at all. Took a drive over to the east side just to see what was happening over there. This is the first time I've seen the "revised" flow through the toilet bowl. I kind of like it...

Lots of pressure in the main runs upstream from the toilet bowl, so I walked down the east side where there was at least at bit of casting room. Caught and released 3 fairly clean does on a pink hotshot, then switched to short-floated colorado blades. Got 4 clean bucks on the blades....Never experienced such a distinction between the sexes of fish caught based on the lure type used before. coincidence maybe? Didn't see anything even remotely coho-ish caught, but did see many very bright fish jumping. Whether they were coho or just bright chums, I couldn't really tell.

Anyone else notice a lack of fish on the west side? I've heard there was some dredging done, so maybe that's changed the path that the fish are choosing...

Back again on Friday (hopefully)

typhoon

• Old Timer
Re: Stave River, October 14th 2008
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 08:59:54 AM »

I fished the west side last Friday, and other than up at the terlet bowl and in the fast run just below it there was very few fish to be found.
I walked as far downriver as I could and there was some nice slow water, but all the rising fish were on the east shore.
I fished the busy spot on the west side using my single hander but was unable to land any fish in the fast water (dropping to low tide).
Lots of long leaders in use there.
How far down can you fish on the east side?

Hohummm

• I'm a llama! and llamas are bigger than frogs
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 09:44:48 AM »

There is a trail that runs down the east side for about 0.5 km or so and you can access the shore almost all the way along. Depending on the water levels, you can fish from shore to about where the red horizontal line is in the pic. Further downstream from that, the banks get pretty steep..

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 10:37:18 AM »

Wow. Thanks for the map.
I thought the east side was Indian Reserve, or does that start lower down?

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 10:09:27 PM »

It is funny how people are saying there are no fish on the west side as there sure was alot of fish there today and in previous days. In fact I have seen more fish taken from the west side then the east. That is why there are so many people trying to fish there. If you are not have much luck I would definatly short float a pink and purple jig. If you are fishing a run that is 6 feet deep then place your jig 3 feet from your float. Dead drift the jig and the chum will hammer them.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day