Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, September 24th 2008  (Read 11371 times)

Buck_wife

Re: Chilliwack River, September 24th 2008
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2008, 10:48:10 AM »

Sounds like you guys had a good morning! Glad to hear that Chris was his usual entertaining self!  :D  The pictures of your fried fish look so yummy!!!!! We haven't had that for ages. Buckeye really needs to quit work and go fishing. lol, maybe that will happen when the house beside us is done, and the driveway is poured, and the retaining walls are built, and the yard is landscaped, and the next plan has been picked out, and..... yeah...you get the drift....
Good to see you again Nina, even if its only on pictures. ;D
your breakfast looks good too, breakfast north american style!

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2008, 11:50:01 AM »

You know what is really awesome about this picture? They show a pink salmon where the steelhead descriptor is... Simply mind boggling!!!

Shaking head in disgust.
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2008, 11:52:20 AM »

"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2008, 01:17:26 PM »

http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/species-especes/species/fullSize_chinooksalmon_3_e.asp

And even better, this link shows a coho in place of a chinook!!!!

::)
Nicole

They really should check their website more closely than that.  Should anyone bonk a cherry red wild coho on the Vedder, all they need to do is to reference that page and the ticket could be dropped.

testo84

• officially a hardware addict
hardware == fish

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2008, 03:02:20 PM »

No wonder some people get confused on the identification of fish

phatwop

« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2008, 03:05:51 PM »

That was in fact the first white chinook salmon from the Vedder (or anywhere actually) that I have kept. I basically cleaned it like I would with a chum, except this was a bit bigger so messier. Once the fish is gutted, the head is cut off, then the body of the fish is filleted. The pectoral and pelvic fins are removed from the fillets, followed by skinning from the tail end. The skin-less fillets are then deboned if preferred and cut into strips like the photos that I have posted.

For cooking, we don't do anything fancy. Everyone surely has his or her own recipe for batter. I simply mix flour and cold water together. Different spices are added to the strips in advance (again, personal preference when it comes to what spices). The seasoned strips are coated with the batter by dipping before entering the hot oil. The cooking time is short, as long as the strips are thin. Once each side turns golden brown, they are ready for serving.

This morning I walked up to take a look at some guys fish, and one was a wild coho.

1-877-952-RAPP (7277)

did it taste pretty much the same as a red spring, or did you find the flavour to be a bit more 'fishier'?
nice looking flesh on it though...
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 12:08:04 AM by Rodney »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #52 on: September 29, 2008, 12:09:34 AM »

I didn't think it was fishier. We prepared it differently to how we would prepare a red chinook salmon, so it is hard to make a comparison. I've enjoyed eating both.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #53 on: September 29, 2008, 08:56:36 AM »

I kept this chrome bullet from a week ago.  Cooked up a fillet on the bbq and it tasted very similar to red spring.  If there was a difference, it may have been psychological since you can see the white meat.  However, I sure like Rodney's idea of cooking!   :D

So - my guess is that chrome bullet whities are fine... ;)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 09:08:53 AM by FlyFishin Magician »

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #54 on: September 29, 2008, 09:35:57 AM »

You know what is really awesome about this picture? They show a pink salmon where the steelhead descriptor is... Simply mind boggling!!!

Shaking head in disgust.
Nicole

You know I always wondered about this pic of Steelhead.
There is lot of literature out there that shows this picture as being Steelhead.

A.

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #55 on: September 29, 2008, 02:43:43 PM »

here are the correct definitions:

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/recfish/Species/salmon_default_e.htm
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/recfish/Species/trout_e.htm

The graphic designer in the guide this year messed it up...

Cheers,
Nicole

-Garrett Hardin

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #56 on: September 29, 2008, 02:46:20 PM »

And DFO didn't even bother to proof read.   :-[

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #57 on: September 29, 2008, 04:41:26 PM »

MMMRoe, dont feel to bad.... you arnt the only one that makes these mistakes  :-\

Found this one dead on Sunday.... PLEASE, make sure you know what your catch is BEFORE you kill it and throw it to the seagulls.....  >:(

Should mention this pic was taken well above sweltzer creek, so watch for them even if you are fishing upriver, even around tamahi.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 04:57:31 PM by Every Day »

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #58 on: September 29, 2008, 06:32:03 PM »

I saw gulls ripping one to pieces 3 weeks ago also above Sweltzer creek, it was a sockeye.
Maybe people a catching them or maybe they are dying of other causes.
It's hard to tell.

Speychucker

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #59 on: September 29, 2008, 07:13:43 PM »

Wow some pretty heavy stuff, I personally think that someone made a.. mistake.. here, or he wouldn't of posted the picture. Our job here is not to slander him but to help him along in his education of the sport we all love and care for. We can turn him off or help him along and one day he may educate someone else. Thats what our waters need. I think some people are missing the big picture here, just wanting to tear a stripe off of someone. ( It's pretty easy thing to do when your sittin on a computer)
Hopefully our friend has learnt something and can one day teach someone else. My 0.02