Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Island Trip in August - Sooke, Comox or...?  (Read 5417 times)

RainbowMan

• We need longer weekends...when fishing is good
Island Trip in August - Sooke, Comox or...?
« on: December 01, 2014, 09:30:24 PM »

We are planning a trip to the island for next summer and I was wondering if you guys can help me find a good area that we can settle as a base and enjoy some decent fishing and family fun. We will have 2 kids in our tow, ages 7 and 11. We are planning to take our 16' aluminum boat with us and don't mind going on the water before the first light. We are planning to stay for a whole week in mid-late August. We'd like t target Chinook, cohos and if we can, some Sockeye. Where do you think is a good place for staying with family and enjoying some decent fishing. We'll consider both camping and B&B/condo stay as long as it doesn't break the bank!  ;) I was thinking either Sooke harbor in the south or Comox/Courtney area in the north east area. Any other suggestions would be highly appreciated.

salmonrook

Re: Island Trip in August - Sooke, Comox or...?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 10:23:49 PM »

Quadra Island,if you have kids ,good fishing,calm water
 great scenery.

mikeyman

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 07:32:55 AM »

Sooke is good although when I went I had a 17 ft boat. The first 2 days couldn't get out cause it was way to ruff. Nice camp site sunny shores. We went to the sooke potholes one day and victoria the other...the next 3 days of fishing when we got out was awesome!

gman

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 08:59:35 AM »

With a 16' boat and kids, sheltered water is important.

You might consider Browns Bay north of Campbell river. It is across the narrows from Quadra Island that salmonrook mentions.

Probably lots of pinks coming through in mid-late August, also some of the other species you mention.

EZ_Rolling

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2014, 09:45:41 AM »

I would also agree there are calmer waters further North and probably better fishing as well.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2014, 11:37:21 AM »

+5. 

And the pinks will be in thick enough to walk on.  Fun for the kids, guaranteed.

RainbowMan

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, 08:01:37 PM »

Thanks guys. Really appreciate the info. Browns Bay area looks great. found a couple of places online but they are already sold out!  :(

JustinG

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2014, 09:14:30 AM »

Kitty Coleman Provincial Park would be your best bet considering your equipment. The kids can even cast off the beach for pinks in some spots.

Browns Bay is right on the Seymour Narrows and I would not be caught on that section of water in a small boat. It runs like a river, there is the occasional whirlpool and if the fishing pressure is high, you will get crowded out by the larger boats into unsafe water.

Sooke can be ok weather permitting. In August, it can be foggy, combine that with high boat traffic and it does not make for safe boating. I fish out of Pt Renfrew all summer and I have to say that if you combine the right conditions your little boat is going to be tough to see on radar.

CoastRider

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2014, 10:12:57 AM »

You could take a look into the areas around Port Hardy, fairly protected and can offer some great fishing

Dogbreath

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2014, 04:53:43 AM »

Cluxewe & environs might appeal  http://www.cluxewe.com/

Like a few other places mentioned easy fishing from shore for kids.

Hambone

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2014, 08:10:38 AM »

Sooke isn't a good option for someone in a small boat with kids. It's very common to have fog and/or strong wind and strong currents which means uncomfortable and dangerous chop in a small boat.
Browns bay is another poor choice in my opinion. Strong currents and lots of commercial traffic.

Both spots are great fishing locations, just not the best option for your circumstances.

Hambone

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2014, 08:18:34 AM »

A good camping spot with very protected fishing is inside nootka sound. Mid to late August you can stay right inside the sound and fish for large Chinook in lake-like conditions. Camping is available at cougar creek, tuta and Moutcha bay. This is where my dad took me at a similar age as hour kids and in a similar sized boat. Very safe, can have amazing fishing and other than trav costs it's affordable once you get there.

Kitty Coleman/comox area is another good option.....

RainbowMan

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2014, 06:46:41 PM »

Thanks, guys. I think we will stick to the Comox / North East area. I think what we need is proximity to public boat launch, sheltered water, and a safe camp site/resort where kids can play and have fun on the beach. I'll keep looking...
Thanks, again.