Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Haters on the River  (Read 21793 times)

Ssypark

• addicted
Re: Haters on the River
« Reply #60 on: April 03, 2012, 11:19:22 PM »

We cannot persuade people to change their behaviour if they choose to be confrontational. Personally I think if people are so hot tempered and their initial reaction is to verbally abuse or cause physical harms to someone, education no longer works for them.

We can certainly do quite a bit to create an educational campaign so newcomers are more aware of the unspoken river fishing etiquettes that more experienced anglers expect everyone to follow. Most people want to learn and avoid conflicts because they go fishing to enjoy themselves, not to ruin other people's days. If the information is out there, people will pick it up, put it to good use and hopefully scenarios like what bigblockfox experienced can be avoided.

Again, I'm not sure how the educational campaign can be carried out. Maybe a one-page information sheet should be developed and distributed to tackle stores in the Lower Mainland so that when people buy their freshwater fishing licences, stores can print the licences on the back of these sheets. This way the angler leaves the store with a licence as well as all the information that he or she needs about fishing in Lower Mainland rivers. Maybe we need more articles on etiquettes on the website. Maybe we need actual videos that demonstrate the do's and don'ts on the river.

I really like those ideas Rod. It would definitely help me out as well as others who I'd like to introduce to fishing.

flyrabbit

« Reply #61 on: April 03, 2012, 11:29:04 PM »

Hey Rod:

Maybe for the next video, you can make it a "how to fish properly in vedder"....a few examples like discussed in this post will definitely be helpful....

GordJ

« Reply #62 on: April 04, 2012, 06:35:34 AM »

Again, I'm not sure how the educational campaign can be carried out. Maybe a one-page information sheet should be developed and distributed to tackle stores in the Lower Mainland so that when people buy their freshwater fishing licences, stores can print the licences on the back of these sheets. This way the angler leaves the store with a licence as well as all the information that he or she needs about fishing in Lower Mainland rivers. Maybe we need more articles on etiquettes on the website. Maybe we need actual videos that demonstrate the do's and don'ts on the river.
I doubt that more info on a website or more videos are the answer. I suspect that most of the new and/or ignorant fishers do not do a lot of research online before they go fishing. I think that a series of handouts at the tackle stores or signage on the rivers would be more effective. I doubt that Army and Navy or Canadian Tire or Walmart (where most of the target audience shops?) would be very supportive of having a pile of flyers on their counter past the introduction stage and if a program is to be effective it needs to be durable as well as accessible. If the vendors can't support a program it will die quickly.
So I guess my suggestion is to consider a series of small signs on the rivers with various instructive messages.
Hey, is instructive a word or did I just invent one?

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #63 on: April 04, 2012, 06:43:26 AM »

I like the combo licence/information package for people that buy their licences at stores but not sure how that could be implemented for people that print their own.  

That would be as easy as a document that prints out with the license.  I would prefer to see that over say... a check box that says you read the information (like licensing agreements for software you download).  I think if you have to print out a pamphlet before printing your license, you would be more apt to read it.

So I guess my suggestion is to consider a series of small signs on the rivers with various instructive messages.
Hey, is instructive a word or did I just invent one?

sorry...

instructive |inˈstrəktiv|
adjective
useful and informative : It is instructive to compare the two projects.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 06:46:35 AM by Sandman »
Not all those who wander are lost

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #64 on: April 04, 2012, 11:32:08 AM »

I suspect that most of the new and/or ignorant fishers do not do a lot of research online before they go fishing.

But I thought it is common knowledge that the internet, this website specifically, has brought all the unethical fishermen to the rivers. ;D ;D ;D

Good to see all the inputs so far. If people want to see changes instead of accepting it as the way it is and getting frustrated with it, then ideas like these should be put to work.

I suggested the print-out idea on the back of a printed licence from a tackle store because the issue is more regional-specific (Lower Mainland and Fraser Valley) so it would be hard to distribute online. To have it online, registrants have to select the information that they wish to read, it's just not that easy to execute. It'd also be hard to convince the ministry to invest a sum of money to have the licence system overhauled so this can be included. With the print-out, it can be done river-specific and season-specific. For example, if new anglers go into Fred's Custom Tackle to buy a licence, they are most likely interested in going to the Chilliwack River. There can be a one-page information sheet that includes generic regulations, where to look for new updates, basic etiquettes, fish IDs and other important notes and contact information. The licence can then be printed on the back of that print-out so when the angler receives the licence, he or she will most likely read everything on it. You can't control people's behaviour, but you can certainly make them more informed.

This website has a civic obligation to keep the recreational fishing community a healthy one, but the above suggested task is not something that the website/I should be carrying out. For a few reasons, there are legality issues, I don't want to/shouldn't be the authority voice that tells people who they should fish. This is a task that Fisheries and Oceans Canada, Freshwater Fisheries Society, BC's Ministry, and possibly the FVSS, BCFDF and SSBC should be involved with. This website and all the tackle stores can carry out the task by being the information outlet, but I think the decision makings and fundings should be coming from some of these organizations. I will correspond with the contacts of all of these groups and see what can come out of it. We've discussed about this on here and at meetings for a couple of years now, time to get things going.

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #65 on: April 04, 2012, 01:57:45 PM »

This website has a civic obligation to keep the recreational fishing community a healthy one, but the above suggested task is not something that the website/I should be carrying out. For a few reasons, there are legality issues, I don't want to/shouldn't be the authority voice that tells people who they should fish. This is a task that Fisheries and Oceans Canada, Freshwater Fisheries Society, BC's Ministry, and possibly the FVSS, BCFDF and SSBC should be involved with. This website and all the tackle stores can carry out the task by being the information outlet, but I think the decision makings and fundings should be coming from some of these organizations. I will correspond with the contacts of all of these groups and see what can come out of it. We've discussed about this on here and at meetings for a couple of years now, time to get things going.

FWIW - I have emailed a link to this thread along with some suggestions that have been mentioned here to the Fish & Wildlife Branch in Victoria.  I hope I haven't stepped on any toes in doing so, but I thought the ideas were too good to pass up and novel enough that maybe they hadn't been considered before.

I'd be happy to try and help with an initiative like this, I think it's a great idea - it's simple and could be moderately effective.

Tex

standalone

« Reply #66 on: April 04, 2012, 04:31:24 PM »

I doubt that,most violators know the regulations,they just ignored it even you mentioned them it's illegal.I saw it not once,people killed a wild coho and ran.

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #67 on: April 04, 2012, 04:58:12 PM »

I doubt that,most violators know the regulations,they just ignored it even you mentioned them it's illegal.I saw it not once,people killed a wild coho and ran.

I disagree that most violators know the regulations and intentionally flaunt them.  Far too large of a percentage fall into that category for sure, but there are MANY that unknowingly make significant mistakes simple out of ignorance - not out of evil intent.  I used to be one when I first started out - I'm sure most of us on this board did things that - looking back - were illegal, and that we regret, simply because we didn't know. 

I would've thought it was SO awesome if - when I bought my first license - it came with a one page document that outlined some basic etiquette/regulations to be aware of.