Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dipping The Chilliwack Vedder River And How Not To Release A Salmon  (Read 12847 times)

Tylsie

Re: Dipping The Chilliwack Vedder River And How Not To Release A Salmon
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2016, 08:20:07 PM »

Actually it does have something to do with your point. You or no one has any legal justification for stopping anyone from taking a photo or filming of you in a public place and without your knowledge and consent. People who have tried (and many successfully and rightfully so) have used the Privacy Act where their right to privacy was abused. That is why I mentioned it. As a lifelong photographer I know my rights and will stand up for them even if it means going to court. That said, there have been many times people have politely asked me to not take photos of them and of course I respect their request.

I think the legality of taking a photo or video in lublic has been out to rest, it is allowed. What is not so cut and dry is what a person is allowed to do with the images? As was said, the person in the video was fishing in a legal manner, regardless of what a persons opinion. I do not support, and am glad he will apparently try to change.

But at its heart, Is opinion enough to ruin a person's reputation? The courts have not been so cut and dried on that topic.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2016, 09:16:56 PM »

I THINK THIS THREAD is WRONG and SHOULD BE REMOVED!

*Personal Opinion

So... firstly i like to say a couple things:

1) I do not know the Person(s) in the Video
2) I do not know "Chris Gadsden" Personally

I think the method of fishing is wrong (although ... -> NOT ILLEGAL)

I RESPECT "Chris Gadsden" for all his tireless efforts, education and input to the Fishing Community...but DISAGREE 100% with this "Public Shaming" on the FWR SITE.
______

This is ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS! 
Since when did FWR become the "SNITCH" / "PUBLIC SHAMING" / "REPORT a VIOLATION" site?

Is there going to be FUTURE POSTS about: 
What may happen next?  or "Here's a video about someone i don't like"?

There are PROPER ways to REPORT VIOLATIONS,  there are INDIVIDUALS who are PROPERLY TRAINED and EMPOWERED to administer ENFORCEMENT.   This Site is NOT for that purpose!

Seriously .... If you filmed me and put it up on the INTERNET (Without my permission / and with the OBVIOUS INTENT of MALICE & SHAMING ... i'd have some major issues with both the individual who posted and the SITE ("ROD") for allowing this type of MILITANT & RENEGADE publication.

Seriously .... THIS IS ABSOLUTELY WRONG and NEEDS to BE REMOVED!
SINCE when did FWR become some sort of COURT ROOM?

Accusations - Intimidation - Bullying -Harassment & Invasion of Privacy are not Acceptable solutions / Justification to PUBLISH GARBAGE LIKE THIS!

That's my opinion.

http://ambientlight.ca/laws/the-laws/provincial-law/british-columbia/privacy-act/

Blair, why are you so agitated?
Calm down...nobody will film you unless you are doing something illegal or offensive.

As for privacy, as long as you are in a public place, you can and will be filmed - in fact, you are on security cameras all the time once you leave your home. So don't make a big deal out of nothing.

The gentleman in question did the right thing and apologized. Next will be to hone his fishing skills in a way that he always fishes in a manner that is legal and ethically acceptable. In doing so, he is welcome to fish by my side any time.  :)

Remember Blaire, flossing is legal, too, yet most of us have abandoned the technique long ago because fish ARE NOT BITING our presentation. Dipping is no different from flossing that way - the proof is in the number of foul-hooked fish.

Finally, FWR is not a snitching site; it is meant to inform and educate. Sometimes the lessons have to be tough in order to be effective. This is one of those lessons.

Peace.

sbc hris

« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2016, 10:47:35 PM »

Flossing is legal? Since when is intentionally foul hooking fish legal in BC? Perhaps you meant bottom bouncing is legal. Flossing is a form of foul hooking which is just as illegal as snagging fish in the tail etc. It is however basically impossible to enforce the law against flossers, because you can't prove indefinitely that the fish didn't bite. The loop hole through which flossers work...

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2016, 03:10:05 AM »

You can take pictures in a public place but to intentionally singling out a face to publically shame the person without his consent and knowledge, and to possibly causing him internet slashing resulting in emotional suffering is a different story. As far as I can see, these guys were fishing legally. They didn't even jerk the rods at the end of the drift like the Tamahi folks do, lol. They just happen to prefer to fish in fast water. Unfortunately it is a dog kingdom these days and any drift can result in foul hooking or mouth hooking, just like in Tamahi or for that matter in spots with high concentration of fish. But that is personal preference. DFO probably can't prosecute these folks for liking to fish in fast water. If they do, they will take the entire Tamahi gangs to court, lol. I really think this is an invasion on the privacy of the individuals. May be the Tamahi gangs or earlier the guys fishing the hot spring spot below the Crossing Bridge are more deserving a video of this nature. I am with Blair that FWR shouldn't really be used as a public shaming or stereotyping site.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2016, 08:17:53 AM »

Birkenhead you are using a strawman argument. I did not say there was no legal right to shoot this video. You are refuting a claim that wasn't made in the discussion.

To my last post I will also add foul hooking a chum on the V-C and doing a poor 'boot' release is as common as dirt. In my mind there's no justifiable reason to single this guy out.

I'd also add we don't lose our absolute right to privacy in public spaces. They become restricted.

I have also had my photo taken in public by Professional Photographers. They always asked me first, told me what it would be used for and provided me a copy of the photos.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 08:34:16 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

GordJ

« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2016, 08:32:36 AM »

I agree with Ralph's post completely. Internet shaming is just another case of online bullying. Just because you share the bully's opinion does not make it right.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2016, 09:02:14 AM »

Flossing is legal? Since when is intentionally foul hooking fish legal in BC? Perhaps you meant bottom bouncing is legal. Flossing is a form of foul hooking which is just as illegal as snagging fish in the tail etc. It is however basically impossible to enforce the law against flossers, because you can't prove indefinitely that the fish didn't bite. The loop hole through which flossers work...

Actually your interpretation is not quite accurate on this one. The current regs have no requirement that the fish bite, and thus flossing is perfectly legal so long as they as they are hooked in the mouth. I know what you are trying to say, and many people would agree with you, but the wording of the regs is pretty clear...

sbc hris

« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2016, 11:45:15 AM »

Actually your interpretation is not quite accurate on this one. The current regs have no requirement that the fish bite, and thus flossing is perfectly legal so long as they as they are hooked in the mouth. I know what you are trying to say, and many people would agree with you, but the wording of the regs is pretty clear...

The regs also state that intentionally foul hooking fish is illegal. Hence flossimg becomes illegal...

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2016, 12:02:46 PM »

foul hooking means other than the mouth parts or there abouts. Both DFO and MOE have recognized that flossing as currently understood is legal as long the fish is hooked legally.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

sbc hris

« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2016, 12:05:55 PM »

foul hooking means other than the mouth parts or there abouts. Both DFO and MOE have recognized that flossing as currently understood is legal as long the fish is hooked legally.

I stand unfortunately corrected!

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2016, 01:34:38 PM »

Sorry, not bored enough to read the entire thread...who got caught flossing?!?