Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dipping The Chilliwack Vedder River And How Not To Release A Salmon  (Read 12862 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: Dipping The Chilliwack Vedder River And How Not To Release A Salmon
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2016, 06:25:30 PM »

I don't know what dipping has to do with it other than Chris doesn't like it. Certainly handling  & the release was terrible from pulling the fish onto the rocks letting it flop around, stepping on it and removing the possibly barbed hook.

Is this any better? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DH36b6XMPG0

About 2 minutes in there is the glory of a gill hooked fish. Looks like they were fishing with jigs as well. Most of these fish look to be in spawning condition. Whatever happened to the Fisheries regulation about harassing salmon on the spawning grounds.

I'd also question the ethics of filming anyone without their knowledge and consent and then posting it on the net let alone possibly subjecting them to internet shaming.

If the Chilliwack is a cesspool of bad angling habits that's unlikely to make it better. Tests will mean nothing without regulation.

Perhaps the river should be closed when the crossing gauge hits 2.5m. Maybe  Tamihi rapids should be closed to angling mid Sept to mid November?

A fly fish only regulation would certainly end 'dipping'. Can you all live with that?  ;D

DFO, MOE are content to let inexperienced and casual anglers beat up on salmon in the name of recreation & 'mitigation' for the environmental damage of old and very bad hydroelectric development. The people in these videos are just the tip of the ice berg.
The person in the video has seen it and apologized for his action. and I have posted a response to him, this is what I wrote.

"It takes a person of character to admit when he has made a mistake, a lot of people would not and to do so on FB where all can see. We all make mistakes in life at one time. We ask if you see others do this take the time to point out how to release a fish properly."

I think more good than harm will come by posting the video as it will teach others not to handle a fish this way if you are going to release it I accept his apology as we all should and no need to say any more about him.

As one that freelanced for Global TV at one time: while you are in the public domain you are free to take pictures and video, I am sure you see that on any newscast

« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 06:27:15 PM by chris gadsden »

fins -n- skins

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2016, 06:28:52 PM »

Well said Ralph.. Here on the Island in Area 19-20 we have restrictions through the spring and summer on Chinook and Coho to let these fish make it through and do there thing. Now i see these jack asses or so called fisherman do this crap.. Close the river is right in certain sections. Hard to watch. I do like the public shaming though !!

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2016, 07:12:43 PM »

The person in the video has seen it and apologized for his action

Good stuff. I honestly hope he goes on to be an advocate of the best practices in release techniques and promote others to do the same!

Seahawk

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2016, 10:36:49 PM »

The person in the video has seen it and apologized for his action. and I have posted a response to him, this is what I wrote.

"It takes a person of character to admit when he has made a mistake, a lot of people would not and to do so on FB where all can see. We all make mistakes in life at one time. We ask if you see others do this take the time to point out how to release a fish properly."

I think more good than harm will come by posting the video as it will teach others not to handle a fish this way if you are going to release it I accept his apology as we all should and no need to say any more about him.

As one that freelanced for Global TV at one time: while you are in the public domain you are free to take pictures and video, I am sure you see that on any newscast

Well said and done sir!!!

243Pete

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2016, 06:12:23 AM »

Well Chris that is good to hear, hopefully more people will learn from not just your video but also Rodney's video on how to handle and release fish instead of doing it in this particular way.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2016, 08:30:09 AM »

not quite true. People have challenged unauthorized publication & broadcast of their image in court and won. You are not a member of the media when doing this so I am not sure how your passed activity with it applies. You also implied they did something wrong by 'dipping'. This is just an activity you dislike and there is nothing illegal about it and what may be unethical about it is totally unclear. What public good such videos do beyond public shaming is not clear to me either.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2016, 09:15:46 AM »

"What public good such videos do beyond public shaming is not clear to me either."

It shows how to short float for chumskis.  :o Going to be a line dance on the Vedder now after people see that video.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2016, 12:23:09 PM »

This guy has all the best gear waders etc. but yet he doesn't know better?
I call BS on that.
Time to start throwing these types in the river. :o ;)

Birkenhead

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2016, 02:32:53 PM »

not quite true. People have challenged unauthorized publication & broadcast of their image in court and won. You are not a member of the media when doing this so I am not sure how your passed activity with it applies. You also implied they did something wrong by 'dipping'. This is just an activity you dislike and there is nothing illegal about it and what may be unethical about it is totally unclear. What public good such videos do beyond public shaming is not clear to me either.

In BC, the privacy act does apply to photographs to a certain extent. However - you can make a photograph of anything and anyone on any public property, (i.e.) streets, sidewalks, town squares, parks, government buildings open to the public, and public places are all OK. Except where a specific law prohibits it – generally a posted sign will advise – lack of sign does not ensure permission to photograph. http://www.langleycameraclub.com/photographers-rights/

If the BC Privacy Act was held to a rigid interpretation and application of law, then millions of photos and videos taken in BC every year with people in the photo other then the principles would be illegal.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2016, 03:03:40 PM »

Waaaah?
The old one boot chum release should be stopped. Shining a light on it is the only way.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2016, 04:18:33 PM »

If someone is committing a specific offense, by all means video record them for evidence. Where the problem lies is when someone video records a situation where collectively there are more than just the perpetrators depicted in the scene. Guilt by association just for being in the vicinity of the people in question is a reality that no one would want to be associated with or labelled.

ie.... a friend who was mistaken for a protestor for walking through a riot on his way to his car after work...yes it happened, 1994 Vancouver Canucks riot...police video taped him and friends thought he was involved.

Three years ago I was short casting roe bags along the banks of the Cement Slab...the usual sight flossers where in full force that day and guess what? The same night I saw myself on Youtube under the label of "Beeks flossing the River" and it took an email threat from a lawyer friend to have it taken down. It wasn't enough for the poster to blur out my face because a lot of my friends and colleagues would have still recognize me and it would have been an embarrassing situation.

Make damn sure you're recording under the right circmstances because it could back fire on you under the wrong pretense.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2016, 04:32:29 PM »

blair, check out blaydRnr's post .. no capital letters, an easy to read font, no yelling, just common sense.
Take a lesson and calm your posts down; you might find you get more response.

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2016, 04:34:51 PM »

Thanks Ralph.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjQOrAJeUow

Nice to see people showing some respect for this superb fighting and eating fish.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2016, 06:51:44 PM »

In BC, the privacy act does apply to photographs to a certain extent. However - you can make a photograph of anything and anyone on any public property, (i.e.) streets, sidewalks, town squares, parks, government buildings open to the public, and public places are all OK. Except where a specific law prohibits it – generally a posted sign will advise – lack of sign does not ensure permission to photograph. http://www.langleycameraclub.com/photographers-rights/

If the BC Privacy Act was held to a rigid interpretation and application of law, then millions of photos and videos taken in BC every year with people in the photo other then the principles would be illegal.
thanks but I made no claims anywhere related to the Privacy Act and this has nothing to do with my point.

Here is was I said:

I'd also question the ethics of filming anyone without their knowledge and consent and then posting it on the net let alone possibly subjecting them to internet shaming.

Couple of questions - why not talk to the individual and or call RAPP or send them the video? These seem far better options than posting and also mixing in the issue of methodology.

Ethics has little to do with the law. Cases I referred to took place in civil court. Everyone has a right to their image. Media outlets etc are commonly sued for stuff such as libel and defamation. Most responsible outlets actually have an editorial review of such material and their own ethical guidelines - which we don't have here though I recognize Rod and the other moderators do have a policy and so an excellent job of keeping posts consistent with that. The media usually has legal staff on retainers to review content as needed. Clearly it isn't so simple as being free to take a photo. 

Members here are for the most part the most reasonable and thoughtful of all the angling boards I have participated in - though there have been a few exceptions lately.

Internet shaming has become a pox on society. It's the mob in the era of instant communication. Earlier this year a Tacoma teacher named Klara Bowman was fired from her job as a kindergarten teacher for reportedly being drunk in class. You can google that or read about it here:

http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/local/education/article64640422.html

If being fired and having her teaching career destroyed wasn't enough, she was subjected to 'internet shaming' and later committed suicide. Her story before being fired was never reported and included personal tragedy followed by a history of dug and alcohol abuse.

In a similar case an Ontario angler was 'internet shamed' for killing a muskie. Though fined $1,000 and banned from angling in Ontario for life his existence was made a misery when another angler published a video made with a cellphone of him clubbing the fish and tossing it back in the water.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/windsor-man-who-clubbed-fish-shamed-harassed-online-1.2997259

In natural law and ethics, punishment should fit the crime. People shouldn't have their life's destroyed for relatively minor infractions. Clearly no one can know or even guess the possible outcomes once information such as in those 2 cases are published on the web.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 07:00:01 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Birkenhead

« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2016, 07:20:51 PM »

thanks but I made no claims anywhere related to the Privacy Act and this has nothing to do with my point.

Here is was I said:

Actually it does have something to do with your point. You or no one has any legal justification for stopping anyone from taking a photo or filming of you in a public place and without your knowledge and consent. People who have tried (and many successfully and rightfully so) have used the Privacy Act where their right to privacy was abused. That is why I mentioned it. As a lifelong photographer I know my rights and will stand up for them even if it means going to court. That said, there have been many times people have politely asked me to not take photos of them and of course I respect their request.