Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Capilano - Cable Pool, how to land fish?  (Read 12901 times)

ynot

• Old Timer
Re: Capilano - Cable Pool, how to land fish?
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2010, 10:21:17 AM »

Last time i went 3yrs ago i pulled up 5 and 2 got off on the way up. most of the may june fish are 3-4 lbs so not to heavy, next time i will try going around the rock and down the stairs. i always have my inflatable vest on just in case but dont really find it scarey.roe is the only way to go for early coho in the cable pool.

jon5hill

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2010, 10:24:14 AM »

Step 1 - Move around the cliffs until you are at the lower ledge closest to the stairwell. It protrudes forward over the water a bit and it's sketchy so be careful.
Step 2 - Play your fish out until it's tired and won't run on you for the next few minutes.
Step 3 - Arc your rod over the left side of the wall and nestle your line into the ferns.
Step 4 - Walk backwards and up towards the stairwell holding your rod up high and maintaining the line nestled into the ferns.
Step 5 - Walk down the stair well with your arms up high but not high enough to foul up the line into the overhanging tree branches.
Step 6 - At the base of the stairs walk across to the boulders and pull the line out of the ferns, it shouldn't be too hard.
Step 7 - Reel in the slack line fast.

doja

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2010, 10:26:19 AM »

I sure hope no one try's pulling a steelhead up by it's lip.... :'(

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2010, 11:35:43 AM »

Why not just fish from the few spots closer and lower to the water?  Risking your life and damaging the fish doesn't add up to a fun day for me.  I could understand fishing from the cliff if there were no other options but there are...plenty.

doja

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2010, 11:45:07 AM »

Why not just fish from the few spots closer and lower to the water?  Risking your life and damaging the fish doesn't add up to a fun day for me.  I could understand fishing from the cliff if there were no other options but there are...plenty.

Oh but all the best fishing is at the top!!!! That pool is loaded with fish at any given time...

azafai

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2010, 12:16:14 PM »

hows about just dont fish there if you have to do it like that. they guy is an IDIOT.
he was just lazy....you can walk up and over the big rock ,and the down the stairs.

OK,
I give up on this one.

scruffy

• Old Timer
  • fish on
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2010, 01:05:55 PM »

there's no SAFE WAY to land fish at the fools pool without compermiszing yourself or your gear.....also just remember how many people have died doing the same thing every year for that few dollar fish is it really worth it.

shizz

• Tackletester.com - Fishing Tackle Review Blog
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2010, 02:16:34 PM »

That's not a cliff, THIS is a cliff

http://www.steeppoint.com.au/

Yes, we fish of that. Strapped in ofcourse, allthough a few people have gone off from time to time. But Safety first as always whether is the Cap or Steep point. I'm new to the area but I can see the difficulty in landing fish there. Like most guys said, better to be safe than sorry and find a lower location :)

doja

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2010, 03:15:17 PM »

That looks like a fun adventure!

andychan

fish bonk

« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2010, 10:21:49 PM »

I liked the comment "nobody comes here" Silly boy ::) ::) ::)

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2010, 11:03:18 PM »

living on the north shore i have watched my share of people fish this cliff.... infact in my stupider days.... i have fished it myself... bottom line with the excitement of having a fish on the line your body does weird things.    i dont do it as its nuts... no fish is worth my life....

I was hunting one oct day and followed a mule deer.  when i looked back at where i started i literally walked straight up a cliff and didnt even realize it.  when the deer was gone i almost broke my neck comming down the stairs....

relax boys and gals.. its only a fish...
see ya on the river