Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Foul hook  (Read 12823 times)

bentrod

• Old Timer
Re: Foul hook
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2008, 05:56:51 PM »

The most common and widely accepted (AL, CO, MA, TX, Canada, UK, the International Gamefish Association, and virtually all popular glossaries and “Dictionary of Ichthyology”)definition of foul hooking is:

"hooking a fish in a part of the body other than the mouth"

Notice that the definition does not specify "inside" the mouth.  Otherwise, almost every sockeye fisherman/woman on the Fraser would be ticketed.   :o

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2008, 06:05:40 PM »

Freshwater Fishing Regulations Synopsis 2008-2009

Page 96

snagging (foul hooking)… hooking a fish
in any other part of its body other than
the mouth. Attempting to snag fish of any
species is prohibited. Any fish willfully
or accidently snagged must be released
immediately.

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2008, 07:23:59 PM »

fishforever, It was only on the thread once prior to my last posting.  These posts are in chronological order, hence the once not twice.  Also, I know its symantics, but there's a big difference between in the mouth and on the mouth.  And as the regs say (twice on this thread) on the mouth. 

bmynbr

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2008, 08:28:34 PM »

I guess on the mouth would make sense, because if you were using gear, the fish could take the lure and tug on it only to have the hook on the outside of it's mouth.  In that case the fish took your offering, and may not actually be hooked in the mouth.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Not Foul Hooked
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2008, 08:37:18 PM »

« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 03:20:42 PM by DionJL »

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2008, 09:06:18 PM »

is it not specified in the regs?  why is this such a huge debate? 

It really shouldn't be a huge debate, the regs say "mouth area" .  Looking at rods picture, fish have lips just like we do.  The lips are pretty much the limit as to where the mouth area is. If the hook goes inside and through the mouth or if the hook penetrates any part of the lips then it should be legal according to the regs.  It doesn't matter whether its from inside out or outside in because the regs do not state how the hook should penetrate.

If the fish is hooked in the eye - not legal
If the fish is hooked in the cheek - not legal

Seems pretty simple to me.

nosey

« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2008, 09:46:43 AM »

Seems like a funny time of year for this discussion, but I guess if people are talking about foul hooking just as the steelhead are due to arrive in the Vedder this time of year is as good as any.

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2008, 02:56:54 PM »

It says "foul hook" at the top of everyone's post.  Maybe my I-phone is leaving something out, but I don't see Where Rodney says those fish are foul hooked.  I can say that I have also been told by a DF O that he would not ticket for a fish hooked in the face.  I have a couple of under water videos showing fish striking.  Many times they'll strike and miss, but still get hit in the face by the swinging hook.

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2008, 03:23:46 PM »

I don't see where Rodney says foul hooked either  ??? ;) ;D

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2008, 12:08:13 AM »

actually go back to Rodney's post and read it again across the top it actually says NOT foul hooked  ;) unless im more tired then i thought LOL
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2008, 01:10:54 AM »

Taken from Freshwater Regulation Not from salmon supplement.  It states "on" the mouth not "in" the mouth.

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2008, 09:17:42 AM »

From the words I see here, it says neither "in" nor "on"... Just "the mouth"

I'll be writing a letter to the government to correct this - there is no excuse for keeping snagged fish...

It's hard to believe that people are acutally fighting over this definition, a pretty sad state of affairs...

Cheers,
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2008, 09:21:22 AM »

Pretty much mouth parts is all government should put in.  Otherwise gear fisherman would not be able to keep a good portion of their catch.

Terry D

• Carp are sportfish too!!!
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2008, 09:22:31 AM »

When all that matters is getting a fish on the bank, at any cost, then COMPLETE IGNORANCE and TOTAL DISREGARD FOR REGULATIONS rule.  And it's usually both!!!

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2008, 12:16:26 PM »

A fish that has been hooked on the outside of the mouth, and the hook is facing inward at the hinge indicates foul hooking.

This is particularly the case if that hook has penetrated in the opposite side from where the angler is standing.

That indicates lining or flossing. Same goes for fly fishers.

The hook should originate from the inside of the mouth with the point facing out, or completely inside. It's still possible the fish did not bite, but it's alot more probable that it did bite.

That is what sportfishing is all about, letting those fish go that do not want to play.

It's all pretty cut and dry to me... It's not sporting to keep foul hooked fish. Nor is it legal.

Cheers,
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin