Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fraser Closing ???  (Read 12856 times)

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
Re: Fraser Closing ???
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2007, 08:39:21 AM »

That's ok.  I have a couple nice little spots picked out on the lower for pinks.  Haven't been to the upper for almost 2 months, cost to much for gas.  I would rather drive 5 min to the lower and get me some nice fresh pinks, hopefully they will start showing up in numbers soon. Then out for early Coho, I heard that we are supposed to have a bit of a rebound year for Coho, is this true? :)
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

nosey

« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2007, 08:43:33 AM »

While this closure is the result of First Nations pressure it is not the First Nations fault, they are concerned because while their fishing opportunities have been severely restricted (although not totally curtailed) this year they could still go down to the river seven days a week and watch people fishing with  rods (I won't even use the term sportsfishermen here) killing sockeye just for the fun of catching and releasing them. There is no use pointing fingers at the FN's here the fault is completely within our own community. I'm sure glad hunting season starts soon I think I'll take my 22 out and just wound a bunch of does that is what the C&R sockeye fishing mentality strikes me as.

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2007, 08:45:04 AM »

You call that "wrath"??

"Wrath" is a Warbird or Negh'Var class Dreadnought targeting its photon torpedoes onto DFO headquarters.

I think you need more sun ;)

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2007, 08:52:04 AM »

You call that "wrath"??

"Wrath" is a Warbird or Negh'Var class Dreadnought targeting its photon torpedoes onto DFO headquarters.

I think you need more sun ;)

Probably, but I think people taking this way too seriously using words like "wrath".

Just showing them how silly it is.

I know you see it Dragon, others don't.

Go catch a carp.

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2007, 09:28:56 AM »

Has anyone seen the OFFICIAL notice of this?  DFO? Provincial Fisheries?  Anything?

Griz

• I'm a llama!
    • www.kodiaktackle.com
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2007, 10:43:20 AM »

I talked to Roger from Hub's this morning and he told me the Fraser is closing from the Mission Bridge upstream to the bridge at Hope as of midnight this Sunday night Aug 19/07. The only places that are open with no retention of sockeye are the mouth of the Vedder and the mouth of the Harrison to the Highway bridge at Kilby park. The Fraser is still open for Sturgeon fishing only. :'(

Fishiefish

« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2007, 10:44:29 AM »

Does this include the Pitt River? I'd be sad if it's closed too...My favorite fishing spot :D

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2007, 10:47:32 AM »

Sure Nosey, say what you want.  Mortality rate of C&R is about 10% with bad handling that 25%.  When there's total fishing closure for all sectors (including FN) from catching sockeye, and guess what they KILLED over 43,000 sockeyes.  Furether, if they do have a little concern for the stock at least apply for chinook openings by using driftnet or dipnet NOT set net.  At least with driftnet those poor fish will have a chance of being released alive.

So they're not responsible eh?  They took part.

glx

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2007, 11:11:14 AM »

"They took part" and so did sport fisherman or the so called ones.   ::)

If a closure was to happen, how many of you that have been bouncing that said why dont they have the balls to close the river if there so concerned will have the balls to keep at it just because the recreational sector uses less of the resource.  Probably not too many beacuse there wont be a loop hole to jump through and get around it.  Again if a closure happens, you, the ones that did not obey the request, will be the ones to blame. 

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2007, 11:18:58 AM »

Sure, blame on BBers, and who's speaking up for those 43,000+ sockeyes that got slaughtered by FN?
Oh ya, and glx, DFO called for all method that can catch sockeye not to be used.  Unfortunately, with that type of wording that includes barfishing.  Oh and don't start that thing about 'oh barfish rarely catch sockeye' routine, let it be one sockeye it is still a method that WILL catch sockeye.

Oh and by the way, [edited - unnecessary vitriol] what have you done to aid the recovery of those sockeye stock?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 11:46:41 AM by DragonSpeed »

Old Black Dog

• I Volunteer!
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2007, 11:47:12 AM »

Going to be interesting to see the hoards of people fishing all the feeder rivers, Stave, Vedder,Squamish etc.

Will be interesting to see if they open this section of the river at all to pinks.
Timing is poor as there are either sockeye or Thompson Coho in the river.

Going to be real interesting.

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2007, 11:52:47 AM »

Yah can't blame BBing for this, the natives would have pressured government regardless of method... Even if everyone of us was barfishing. 

The fact that we were fishing at all is more of the issue... And  now whatever FN caught doing it shall be called a hypocrite... There have been 35,000 sockeye caught already, and the fact they want us off the river makes me think we should all be going for regular boat rides, and document all the nets that will be drift netting over the bars we would normally be fishing...

I personally think that court is no longer the answer... That's a waste of time.

We need to be more guerilla in our tactics to ensure those who sell their catch PAY.

Cheers,
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

glog

« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2007, 12:14:20 PM »

one other point everyone is missing on this so called  closure now there will be no-one out monitoring and reporting the illegal native nets.

Want to bet that the roadside sales of sockeye won't stop. 

glx

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2007, 12:21:01 PM »

What have I done?  I have chosen too obey the request and have told many others why they shouldnt be doing what there doing.  Did they all listen, nope, but some did.  Stop using the excuse about the Native fishery.  Thats all it is, an excuse.  What they do is what they do.  We dont have control over it.  Hopefully one day there will be control of all the interested parties.  But until then do your part, suck it up, stop your pissiing and moaning about what others do and watch out for yourself.  

And no they didnt ask for all methods that catch Sockeye to not be used, they asked anglers to use selective techniques to minimize the capture of Sockeye.  As for selective methods, barfishing is considered selective, according to a notice from the Sportfishing advisory committie.  

glog

« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2007, 12:29:07 PM »

put together some statistics from my trips over the past 6 weeks to various bars and rivers.

Total hours fished     63 hours
number of fisherman seen            321
total springs seen hooked            37 fraser, 22 vedder
total springs seen snagged   9 of 37 fraser, 11 of 22 vedder(most were lost)
total springs seen snagged and kept   0 fraser, 1 vedder fisheries talked to the guy)

total springs landed               29 of 37, 16 of 22         
total sockeye seen hooked            43 (all but two released in water)
total sockeye seen abused            2 (dragged on rocks)

My own score  6 springs hooked, 4 springs landed (2 fraser, 2 vedder) and kept .
1 foul hookedspring on vedder released in water.
1 small pink released, and 5 sockeye all released in the water(1 in vedder).

So over 6 weekends only 43 sockeye interacted with by all the anglers I saw fishing and if you go with 25% mortality rate that is only 10 sockeye over the entire period.  

Multiply by number of bars and other fish areas ( I was at the ones you can get too where most people fish) I doubt whether more than 100 sockeye will be killed in 6 weeks.

So congrats for blowing the sockeye interaction way out of proportion to reality.  Oh and last week end I saw fisheries twice go by in their  boat with binoculars way across the river, how they can come up with meaning full numbers from that distance is beyond me other than the number of people fishing. The good news is the drift net that went by for two miles down the river and cleaned out the fish on Sunday disappeared after the fisheries boat went by.