Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fraser Closing ???  (Read 12853 times)

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
Re: Fraser Closing ???
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2007, 11:05:44 PM »

so be it....maybe now all the whining and bickering will stop.

as for first nations...if they really are the champions of our resources then they should comply with DFO.....if DFO decides to exclude them from the ban, then it only confirms their lack of commitment and their own spineless, stupidity.

me....i'm going to renew my tidal license and get re-familiarized with the chuck once again.

allwaysfishin

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2007, 11:40:10 PM »

i hear that .... i been getting my fair dose of salt this summer so far and ..... i don't think i'll be back to the rivers (other than sturgies here an there) till steelhead come round. I'll have to take the nephew out for some pinkies in the lower.... but other than that.... now that we've got the second boat going...... Vancouver salt here i come  ;D

glycine

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2007, 12:18:31 AM »

very stupid decision!!

most impact of conservation is "destruction of fish habitat".
second most impact of conservation is " over fishery".
dfo is all responsible for those issues.

angler's affection for the conservation concern is less than 5%. i belive.

now sockey fishing is closed, not many anglers are fishing there.
i know not all anglers argree to the bb. however, recent response of some anglers is very supportive to the this decision.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 12:44:12 AM by glycine »

glycine

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2007, 12:31:17 AM »

if im rich, i would bring a beautiful boat to my favorite fishing spot.
or i can hire a fishing guide from most desirable fishing charter business...

but, sadly i cant. it the reason i go to fraser.

probably, you guys are all good sportsfosherman. but im not.
i fish both for fun and food.
which is more cruel? fish for food, or fun??

maybe im a bad fisherman, or others are hypocrites.....

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2007, 12:43:00 AM »

From FN's (Fraser Valley tribes) response that tells you how resource conciouse they are.  But heck what can you expect from them, back then when canneries opened everywhere, many were the employees did they do something to stop exploiting the resource? Heck no.  At least the main stream society is doing something to recover the resource.  With this said, good to see Tsleil-Waututh First Nation is willing to help out.

allwaysfishin

« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2007, 12:54:05 AM »

not to beat the dead horse or spur more debate but i really think us sporties need to let conservation come first . I love them tasty sox but I also have no qualms about a complete salmon closure from the mission bridge on up for a few cycles. I don't think we can reach a situation where every angler is happy with that but..... I remember a day when conservation came first.
The cheam and sto lo are greedy pigs and don't care about the plight of the fish... that is plain to see. Because of this, I think we sporties need to step back and impact the fraser salmon as little as possible and hope that as many as possible get by the nets of death. I'm not going to go preaching and berating those who don't agree with my sentiments, but i for one, with the exception of a few lower river pinks should it open, am hanging up my bar rods and my flossin gear for the next coupla years. There are many opportunities to catch fish for fun and for the table without fishing salmon from the main stem fraser. Like any change, it all starts with the individual.
So... close it up... i'll miss the fun for sure but with a clear conscience.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2007, 01:54:13 AM »

I agree we need to help as much as we can.  But while our tax money and all sorts are put into protecting and enhancing the salmon stock and seeing those people selling netted salmon for cash (no income tax there) and us not allowed to fish for any salmon is just plan annoying.  And the government just kept on picking on us and not doing anything with them just annoys me more. 

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2007, 06:28:21 AM »

I agree we need to help as much as we can.  But while our tax money and all sorts are put into protecting and enhancing the salmon stock and seeing those people selling netted salmon for cash (no income tax there) and us not allowed to fish for any salmon is just plan annoying.  And the government just kept on picking on us and not doing anything with them just annoys me more. 

That's it in a nutshell !!!!! The Government has difficult decisions to make , I get that .... but closing the river to the group that has the least impact is hogwash !! if they are truly worried about the survival rate of fish then they would close the river to FN also...
TH

I guess this is another case of the the loudest voice gets fed first :(
maybe it's time we all stop paying our taxes ?? what are they going to do arrest everyone ;)
TH

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

nosey

« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2007, 07:14:23 AM »

Doesn't look to me like this is just a salmon closure it says all sports fishing, the DFO has been making requests that sportsfishers refrain from using methods that impact sockeye from the beginning of the year these requests have been ignored why does this closure suprise anyone. As for closing all sports fisheries it makes it way easier to police, if you see a fishing rod out that person is breaking the law it's that simple. As for the guiding industry I feel sorry for th 5% of them that supported the fisheries requests and wouldn't use methods that impacted the sockeye, but as a lot of people have stated on this forum "majority rules" and the majority of sports anglers on the river in the last few weeks are the ones responsible for getting it closed down.

river walker

« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2007, 07:19:24 AM »

:-*   ya iv ebeen pushing for it and am sick of people bouncin .   it' s like me cruising by the bars picking people off with a 7mm.  What's the outrage then???   Still bouncing???
« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 07:21:46 AM by river walker »
"Second best head..... STEELHEAD"

Old Black Dog

• I Volunteer!
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2007, 07:30:17 AM »

Doesn't look to me like this is just a salmon closure it says all sports fishing, the DFO has been making requests that sportsfishers refrain from using methods that impact sockeye from the beginning of the year these requests have been ignored why does this closure suprise anyone. As for closing all sports fisheries it makes it way easier to police, if you see a fishing rod out that person is breaking the law it's that simple. As for the guiding industry I feel sorry for th 5% of them that supported the fisheries requests and wouldn't use methods that impacted the sockeye, but as a lot of people have stated on this forum "majority rules" and the majority of sports anglers on the river in the last few weeks are the ones responsible for getting it closed down.

Nice try, however I would bet that the real reason ( No one would say this from the government) is the pressure from the F/N.
They have said that if they are off the water then ALL must be off the water, otherwise they will still fish.
Puts the Government in the position that they must close the river to all or face the wrath of the F/N.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2007, 07:33:51 AM »

I would happily give up my socks not to see another flosser on the cap/vedder/chehalis/seymour etc etc.  Sportsfishing and its core values are being dragged down the tubes by flossing.  I am glad about this closure.

One thing that drives my crazy though...this is a pink year, the fraser has tons of chum each year...historically, do natives only eat sockeye?  I know as a commercial fisherman the dollar value placed on each species.  Is chum an unacceptable food source for natives?  I really question their main goal (ie food or PROFIT) when they pass up on fish I would put on my own family's dinner table.   

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2007, 07:41:59 AM »

they must close the river to all or face the wrath of the F/N.

That's funny and silly.

Is the wrath of the the F/N anything like the Wrath of Khan?

I didn't think they even had a warbird.

Old Black Dog

• I Volunteer!
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2007, 08:09:44 AM »

they must close the river to all or face the wrath of the F/N.

That's funny and silly.

Is the wrath of the the F/N anything like the Wrath of Khan?

I didn't think they even had a warbird.

OK read this and see if this covers the subject for you.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20070817.BCSUE17/TPStory/TPNational/BritishColumbia/

Think Fraser River bands all doing this.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2007, 08:30:39 AM »

OK read this and see if this covers the subject for you.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20070817.BCSUE17/TPStory/TPNational/BritishColumbia/

Think Fraser River bands all doing this.

That's just a court case. Meh. Lawyers and such. Settlement out of court 99% of the time.

You call that "wrath"??

"Wrath" is a Warbird or Negh'Var class Dreadnought targeting its photon torpedoes onto DFO headquarters.