Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pink salmon with 5wt  (Read 27726 times)

HOOK

• Old Timer
Re: Pink salmon with 5wt
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2015, 11:06:13 AM »

Thanks! I'll let her pick the colours for her jigs (with some guidance). I feel confident in predicting most of them will have some pink in them. :D

If the jigs aren't working because sometimes its the extremely sparse stuff that works best then just go to a plain size 4 hook with a little tuft of wool in the same colours.
I predict with this years early freshet the water clarity will be better than usual for August. Last time it happened we were using tiny very very sparse flies and having a riot
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

lapa

« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2015, 05:31:43 PM »

If the jigs aren't working because sometimes its the extremely sparse stuff that works best then just go to a plain size 4 hook with a little tuft of wool in the same colours.
I predict with this years early freshet the water clarity will be better than usual for August. Last time it happened we were using tiny very very sparse flies and having a riot
I would also suggest to use Dick Nite spoons under float. Last pink run I had fish on almost every cast using them.
My favorite - frog size 2, my friend's half/half size 2.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2015, 12:31:20 PM »

I remember one September the Fraser was so mucky you`d think the fish couldn`t see a thing. Flies didn`t work so I tied a pink and pearl wee Dick Nite on and hung it downstream in a shallow riffle the pinks were moving through and took 4 fish in less than an hour.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2015, 08:21:21 AM »

surfing some local websites I found this good blog posting from Sea-Run Tackle that includes some good info on locations and timing:

http://www.sea-run.com/pinksalmon/
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2015, 07:13:09 AM »

Swing a Dick Nite on the end of your fly line and get ready for a big bend in your 5 wt !  I've caught Cohos using it @ Judd road.
It ain't the roe bro'

BananasQ

« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2015, 08:25:17 AM »

Is it time yet??! :D

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2015, 10:23:12 AM »

Yep.

Britguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2015, 05:49:49 PM »

For Pinks all you need is a sparsely tied pink fly and you will get lots of hits, if the bites goes off just try a different color--green or orange

seems to work well for me 8)