Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need help with single hand casting in moving water.  (Read 14699 times)

HOOK

• Old Timer
Re: Need help with single hand casting in moving water.
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2014, 01:51:43 PM »

What rod are you using this line with ?

If you go onto the Royal Wulff website they have a pretty good explanation of how to choose the right line weight for intended purpose. I'm ordering an 8wt Ambush at 290 grains for my 4/5 switch rod. I think if your using it on a single hander it matches up exact because that is what type of rod they are designed for
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2014, 02:19:36 PM »

It's an 8wt, 9 foot TFO "Lefty Kreh" edition. I forget the exact action specs if they are printed on the blank at all.

Somehow the reel I had on the rod vansihed and I have not ben able to find it >:( Not sure if I left it on the roof of my car or what. Very odd. Luckily it was a cheap Kamloops reel. I'm probably going to buy an Echo Ion as a replacement as I'm not looking to drop a huge amount of money on this set up I only use here and there. I think I'd like this W/A short head line for S/H spey casts instead on the Rio outbound clear intermediate (37 foot head I think) I had on the old reel.

tburns

« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2014, 09:09:23 PM »

Thank the lord I just read this thread and realized that people spey with single handers.  I was out there all day today and must have hit myself in the head 10 times due to the downstream wind and fishing river left all day.  :(  Felt and looked like an idiot!

hopefully my line will be alright for spey?  I am using a full floating rio gold line with 12 foot sink tips (WF8F)

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2014, 10:29:05 PM »

Just a heads up on single hand spey casting - it's not easy! I only got into two handed spey casting this winter, and I'm already about as good as I am with the s/h rod, and I've been doing that for a couple years. In other words, IMO spey casts ar a lot easier with two hands than one.

That being said, if you already know how to do spey casts in an upstream and down stream wind, then it should not be a huge problem to transition to a s/h rod.

From my experience trying to s/h spey with a typical WFF line (mean more for overhead casts) is not easy. It seems that you end up stripping a fair bit of the thicker head past the rod tip, then when you go to shoot line after the change of direction cast, it does not shoot well until you get into the thin shooting line (duh). What I found worked for me was to do my change of direction cast, say a circle-c, then roll cast but do NOT try and shoot line as not much is going to shoot on this roll cast with part of the head still on your reel. I would let this inital roll cast unfurl but NOT hit the water. When it straightened out in the air I would do a back cast, shoot a bit of line, another backcast (or two) and once I was into my shooting line let-er fly! It would help if I knew how to double-haul, but I haven't learned that yet :o

It seems this would be easier with a shorter head (20 feet or so compared to the 37 feet on my rio outbound line) as you could strip the tip up to the head (not into the guides), change of direction cast, then on your roll casts let go and you are right into the shooting line and should get some decent distance.

Keep in mind I have not actually tried an Wulff Ambush style spey line on my s/h rod so I am pretty much talking out my a** ;) However with the short head on my spey rod I find after my roll cast the stripped in line SOARS.

If you have never tried spey casting I would HIGHLY reccomend a lesson. William Holmes does a s/h spey group class on the river (Vedder) for cheap like $50. Talk to Fred's or your local tackle shop.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2014, 01:00:38 AM »

If your trying to do single hand spey casts with a regular weight forward line you'll find you need about 30' of the line out to properly load the rod. You will also need to learn to do a haul just as your coming forward to help the line heavily load the rod if you want decent distance, especially if you have a sink tip. Only cast I ever get working well is a single spey which is a touch/go cast because this type of cast is designed more for a regular tapered line as opposed to a thick forward heavy shooting head like the Ambush or skagit style line systems
Check out our new blog

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2014, 11:51:39 AM »

HOOK, I did some surfing around on W/A's website and think this would be the right line for my rod. Whadayathink? TT-8-F with a 20 foot head and 290 grain line.

http://royalwulff.com/products/ambush-fly-line/

EDIT: I gave M&Y in Surrey a call and they reccomended a slightly different line: The Ambush "neutralizer" with a 300 grain 24 foot head in 8wt for my 9 foot rod.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 12:05:56 PM by Spawn Sack »

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2014, 12:56:09 PM »

The collective knowledge at M&Y is probably correct.

honestly its all personal preference.

just like how I fish skagit heads on the lighter side of a rods grain window. I know many guys fish them on the heavier side because it makes tossing half chicken flies easier

If that is the line specs you are looking for then I would say an 8wt (290gr) should pair up with your 8wt rod without issue. The Ambush "neutralizer" line has an intermediate sinking head portion. If your after a floating line then I wouldn't buy that
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 12:59:58 PM by HOOK »
Check out our new blog

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2014, 05:24:59 PM »

Thanks HOOK. As far as I'm aware if you have an intermediate sinking head you do not add another sink tip to that. At least that's what I was told when I bought my Rio outbound line in clear intermediate.

With this Ambush line I want to be able to add/remove different sink tips as I see fit, not be confined to just the sink rate of the clear intermediate. So the neutralizer is probably not the best choice.

I emailed WA for clairification.