Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Spots for a newbie to the vedder  (Read 7797 times)

HOOK

• Old Timer
Re: Spots for a newbie to the vedder
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2014, 12:52:20 AM »

If I am faced with stronger winds then I can cast in then I will switch sides of the river or head to an area I know is somewhat blocked from the wind.

Do you know how to double haul ? being able to do this will speed up your line allowing it to cut through the wind better helping to keep the fly in the path of the rod and not blowing into you with the wind. Of course if the wind is too strong then nothing helps except for casting off your opposite shoulder which is a good thing to learn.

Expensive way to remedy that is to pick up a spey rod  ;)
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

tburns

Re: Spots for a newbie to the vedder
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2014, 11:11:00 AM »

Lots of ways to skin a cat but in that river left, downstream wind situation you could either swap hands and cast left handed which is hard for most or you can learn to cast backhanded, basically you keep the rod in you right hand but cast over your left shoulder instead of the right. This keeps the line and fly downstream of your and your head and neck out of danger!
Basic explanation here..
http://www.lovetheoutdoors.com/fly-fishing/Te-Z/Type-of-Casts.html

Thanks for the tip Nick.  I tried doing the cast over my left shoulder and it helped somewhat. 

If I am faced with stronger winds then I can cast in then I will switch sides of the river or head to an area I know is somewhat blocked from the wind.

Do you know how to double haul ? being able to do this will speed up your line allowing it to cut through the wind better helping to keep the fly in the path of the rod and not blowing into you with the wind. Of course if the wind is too strong then nothing helps except for casting off your opposite shoulder which is a good thing to learn.

Expensive way to remedy that is to pick up a spey rod  ;)

Haha no way will I be picking up a spey rod anytime soon.  I picked up a 6weight Glx stream dance on an impulse buy on craigslist (cheep cheep) and will not be spending any money on fishing for the rest of this year (yeah right).

I actually learned to cast double haul starting out.  I took my buddy's fly rod while we were camping and went out alone and the double haul felt natural.  The quality of my double haul is certainly not perfect though.