Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: One Hand or Two?  (Read 18443 times)

roseph

Re: One Hand or Two?
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2013, 11:03:14 PM »

If you want to get on any person's case for over fighting a fish, talk to the centre pin guys on here that somehow get fish to lie beside their rods without being touched for a pic.

not sure if you meant me, but I was referring to how long the fish had been in the river and not their condition after being fought.  If you guys are able to land fish in an ethical way i don't care what rod you use.  I was just thinking about fresh 13lb chum or even a 12lb northern, good luck battling one of those with a 5wt.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 01:49:41 PM by roseph »

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2013, 03:42:52 PM »

not sure if you meant me, but I was referring to how long the fish had been in the river and not their condition after being fought.  If you guys are able to land fish in an ethical way i don't care what rod you use.  I was just thinking about fresh 13lb chum or even a 12lb northern, good luck battling one of those with a 5wt.

I realized that after I posted. To which, refer to the first sentence, and then the first 6 words of the next sentence in my previous post  ;D
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2013, 01:21:29 PM »

longer rods actually make fish feel larger and you dont have as much torque on the fish as you do with shorter rods. This equates to longer landing times in most situations and for most peoples skill levels. 

Your responses to such topics are normally very informed but I can't see how torque is involved. The idea that the longer 'lever' of a 2 handed rod amplifies the apparent force a fish pulls back with has been around for a while but I think is wrong headed. A fishing rod of any sort is a very imperfect lever. A fly rod is perhaps the most imperfect and least like a lever.Two handed rods in my experience, all things being relatively equal are capable of exerting more force on a fish precisely because we naturally use 2 hands when fighting a fish - which is not so easy to do with a singled handed rod. The longer butt section also applies more force or so I find.  For example fighting a large salmon like a chum with a #9 single handed vs a #9 spey rod - well there's no comparison the longer two handed rod is far more powerful.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2013, 01:21:00 PM »

if thats the case then why do fish feel larger on longer rods ??

The whole thing i said about longer rods that you think is misinformed were actually shared by a well known guide/casting instructor and im sure you wouldnt question his knowledge of how the long rods work

torque may have been a wrong word choice, leverage may have been better

Who have you ever seen holding the bottom grip while fighting a fish on the spey ??
that would be very difficult because that hand would be from reel handle to bottom grip way to much, its alot more natural to go from reel handle to above your fish fighting hand which would put your hand on the top of the upper grip or even on the rod blank itself.

comparing a 9wt single hander to a 9wt spey is like apples to oranges. they are not designed in the same regards at all, if you lined up each with dry lines the single hander would take a 9wt to match appropriately, the spey however would take a 12wt line in order to achieve a rod load. Im not sure exactly how they figure out the weights for the rods to call them 6's or 9's or whatever.
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2013, 07:07:49 AM »

I don't find fish feel larger on a long rod. I use both hands with a 2 handed rod and also use the long butt far more effectively to brace the rod against my body than can be done with the little butt - if there is one at all - on a single handed rod. I think I explained the issue I have with the lever analogy. But I will add few things; will a large fish feel smaller as a rod gets shorter to say 6 inches? FWIW what's on the end of a lever usually doesn't pull back. How would you actually design a experimental test to prove a fish feels smaller at the end of a longer rod?

Best I recall  I first read this in Mike Maxwell's book and he was known to have some pretty wacko ideas - and it's been parroted mindless by many ever since. But I think about most of what I read. Some I simply don't believe.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 07:36:10 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2013, 08:47:30 PM »

How are you so sure I am wrong and you are so absolute? First off you don't even know what rod I have how long it is..what action it is etc. Rod ratings are not all the same. A 4 wt in one maker can be more like a 5 or even a 6. Or how aggressively I fight a fish.  If i hook a boot chum or a spring i just break em off instead o wasting time and others time fishing around me. Recommending using a 7/8 for coho is ridiculous. U wouldn't even feel a coho on that rod. And comparing using 000 for 15 pound steelhead and. 4 wt switch for coho is actually doesn't even compute.

Heads up, the 8-14" coho you no doubt think are full size coho are in fact jacks.  Tex is on the money that adult coho are perfectly matched to a 7/8 rod.   Have a nice day.

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2013, 09:33:27 AM »

LOL... you took the words right out of my mouth, Matt.  If (s)he thinks a 7/8 wt is too heavy for coho and you won't even feel a coho on it, then I feel bad for the type of coho (s)he is catching.

Burkie

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2013, 12:40:33 PM »

Yeah keep on recommending 7/8 switch for coho fishing   ::)

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2013, 07:11:18 PM »

Yeah keep on recommending 7/8 switch for coho fishing   ::)

Where did I do that?

What water will you be fishing?  How big will that water be?  What is your target species for the most part?

If you primarily target coho/pinks, you are probably better off with a single-hander.  I'd look for a 7 or 8 weight.

Or did you mean where I wrote this:

If you can only have one rod, I'd pick up a 7wt or 8wt single-hander.  This will cover you for all situations.

You're welcome to recommend whatever you want, and I'm well within my rights to disagree with you and make my own recommendation. 

Bottom line is, I think fishing for coho with a 4wt anything is at best bringing a knife to a gun fight, and at best somewhat irresponsible.  If you're targeting coho, you should be fishing with a 6wt or better, regardless of whether it's a single, switch, or double-hander.

Cheers!
Tex

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2013, 07:40:39 PM »

Bottom line is, I think fishing for coho with a 4wt anything is at best bringing a knife to a gun fight, and at best somewhat irresponsible.  If you're targeting coho, you should be fishing with a 6wt or better, regardless of whether it's a single, switch, or double-hander.

AMEN !!

I have caught many coho that i even had trouble controlling with an 8wt. with a 4wt it would have been absolutely rediculous  ::)
Check out our new blog

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2013, 09:50:24 PM »

AMEN !!

I have caught many coho that i even had trouble controlling with an 8wt. with a 4wt it would have been absolutely rediculous  ::)

Agreed!
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

Pat AV

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2013, 10:27:11 AM »

If I could only have one rod for salmon and steelhead (yeah right) it would be an 8wt sngle 9 footer. Run a versa tip on one spool and tt ambush on another.
Like STS pics? Check out my gallery at http://gallery.flybc.ca/patav

GENERAL-SHERMAN

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2013, 10:06:37 PM »

I only use my 4wt echo switch for coho on the vedder and have had no problems with fish up to the 10lb range... even hooked a few springs and was able to bring them in fairly easy. I have landed summers  and winters (as by catch) on this rod as well and have no issues with landing fish. For steelhead though I would go with a heavier spey for the sole reason of casting big flies and sink tips.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2013, 07:52:59 PM »

where are you guys fishing for these coho that they are all so small or not overly spunky ?
what do you do when you hook coho over 9-10lbs ? 

my smallest coho (3-3 1/2lbs) on the fly was in a wild fish only area and it still put a good bend in my 8wt. I had a few others that put that rod to the test  :o

still boggles my mind why people would use gear thats to appropriately light for their target species. Its not responsible, ethical or sporting   ::)

Check out our new blog

Burkie

« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2013, 08:36:30 AM »

Obviously u do not understand a 4 wt switch is not a 4 wt single hander.