Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Small Lower Mainland Rivers  (Read 15717 times)

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
Re: Small Lower Mainland Rivers
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2012, 01:04:19 AM »

Ok, I stand corrected of that is in fact true. That being said here is why I said it. I frequently fish the three rivers in surrey and I mean I fish them a lot. Judge me if you want and yes we shouldn't be talking about these on a public forum. Anyway, I have caught many fish from these rivers; salmon, trout, sculpin, stickleback, chub, pikeminnow, sunfish(at least that's what they looked like), shiner perch and even a crayfish or two. NEVER have I caught a bass, carp, catfish or another invasive species other then the sunfish mentioned above. I have also never seen one caught or signs of them in any of these rivers. That is what I was basing my information on. Also if anyone wants any info or has questions feel free to email me anytime. I don't like seeing this on the open Internet, that may make me seem like a bit of a jerk but that's just how I feel and there are many others on here who feel the same way. Again, my email is there if anyone wants, all I was trying to say was I have never seen one and they defiantly are not worth targeting if that's what your after.

Tight lines :)
Get Off Your Butt And Start Fishin'

SteelheadAdict

« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2012, 10:49:01 PM »

very funny rod (:

Ssypark

• addicted
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2013, 02:33:47 AM »

Hey all,
Just like to revive this thread to update my latest report on these small local streams. I've been fishing the salmon River now for about 2 years now after moving to Langley. Ive caught a large juvenile rainbow/steelhead, some cutthroat trout, and plenty of pikeminnow. This river also has runs of salmon as well. For these two years, Ive noticed small black spots on the pikeminnow that frequently catch. almost all of them have these spots, i dont remember if the rainbow i caught had these spots, but it does not look good. I was just wondering where these spots came from and what they are.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2013, 08:32:05 AM »

I don't recall seeing that and the PM even looks pretty. The Salmon is in an index stream and receives very little enhancement. There is (was?) a coho project and a counting fence. Try googling it for info.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2013, 08:34:35 PM »

I don't recall seeing that and the PM even looks pretty. The Salmon is in an index stream and receives very little enhancement. There is (was?) a coho project and a counting fence. Try googling it for info.

My students have done biological and chemical monitoring on the Salmon River with the Langley Environment Partners Society (LEPS) for years and one component was to set fish traps over night.  While we never personally caught one, they (LEPS) have caught bass in their traps (they had some on display in an aquarium one River's Day a couple of years back).  They came out of the Trinity Western ponds after a heavy rain caused the ponds to flood into the watershed.  We have caught small coho smolts in them though, but not many (1 in three traps set and sometimes none at all).  I should mention our studies were done in Williams Park (mid river) and despite being below the Greater Vancouver Zoo, and some industrial and agricultural areas, it was remarkably healthy for an endangered urban stream, the lower river where you likely caught the Pike Minnow would likely be considerably more stressed.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 08:41:00 PM by Sandman »
Not all those who wander are lost

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2013, 08:57:30 PM »

I will also add that I have noticed an increase in the pike minnow bicatch this year while fishing for pinks.  Sunday's trip to the Ladner area yielded a few over 2 pounds and a recent trip to the Harrison (before they opened the Fraser) had the pike minnow outnumbering the cutthroat 6 to one, and the cutthroat fishing was awesome by the way as there looked to be a recent minnow hatch (likely sticklebacks, although I did not get a close enough look at them to confirm this).  The water would literally explode as the cutties attacked the bait ball from below, launching themselves clear out of the water.  Unfortunately, I did not find any pinks among the schools if sockeye surfacing all over that beautiful river (I usually find a couple early fish in there), so I was happy when they opened the lower river later that day.
Not all those who wander are lost