Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Small Lower Mainland Rivers  (Read 15716 times)

Ssypark

• addicted
Small Lower Mainland Rivers
« on: March 26, 2012, 03:22:52 AM »

I was wondering what kinds of flies you guys use for trout when fishing the small murky rivers/canals in our Lower Mainland. I've fished the Nicomekl and Seprentine in Surrey/Langley ever since I was a kid but just started to fly fish.

Please treat these sensitive small rivers with respect, its not the same it used to be. :-\

Sandman

• Old Timer
Re: Small Lower Mainland Rivers
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 06:53:30 PM »

Small Mickey Finn is my first choice then Woolly Bugger and Muddler Minnow after that.
Not all those who wander are lost

colin6101

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 07:59:47 PM »

I did really well fishing a small chartreuse muddler for cutties in October on the Nic. The toughest part about these rivers is finding the fish!

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 10:58:53 PM »

i have caught cutties in both. What seems to work are shiny minnow patterns, micky fins, and black wolly buggers patterns. Have also caugh coho using wool buggers and flashy flies in them in these rivers. On the nick in some of the pools in oct-dec egg patterns under and indicator works good.
These fish are getting less by the years, but there still there. Look for fallen trees and branches in the water, uncder cut banks, and some of the faster deeper pool towards langley.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 11:01:01 PM by steelie-slayer »
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

Ssypark

• addicted
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 12:13:35 AM »

Cool tips guys! Thanks for all the info. This forum is just awesome.
 planning to hit the Serpentine tomorrow morning.  8)

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 08:49:07 AM »

dont be depressed if you get nothing, these rivers the fishing is only any good when it rain and brings the water levels up. Hit it a day after heavy rains and there should be fish.
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 07:17:32 PM »

Cool tips guys! Thanks for all the info. This forum is just awesome.
 planning to hit the Serpentine tomorrow morning.  8)

It is time I started carrying the rod with me as I walk to and from work to cast a fly in the Nic.  The fry should be moving out of the gravel in good numbers and heading down stream.

Ssypark

• addicted
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 08:42:23 PM »

i was at the Serpentine today for 2 hours and didn't notice any activity. The water level was higher than usual and I did notice small schools of fry swimming along the sides of the river. Lost my only mickey finn and tried out a small chartreuse fry pattern but no bites. Still had a relaxing time though :)

This river really tries my patience, but I know they must be in there!

Blackgivesway2blue

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 09:29:38 PM »

Enjoy fishing these the rest of the week, all 3 of these flows close april 1st. Just a heads up :)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2012, 02:36:06 PM »

fishing a smallish (#10) wooly bugger with some flash deep and slow would likely work best this time of year. What fish there are will be not in great condition after a winter of not much to eat and possibly recovering from spawning. The rivers do close April 1st to protect ocean bound smolts particularly steelhead smolts.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2012, 07:57:50 PM »

Enjoy fishing these the rest of the week, all 3 of these flows close april 1st. Just a heads up :)

Yes, it is a good reminder that while many of the smaller flows north of the Fraser close May first, these ones south of the Fraser close a month earlier.

Ssypark

• addicted
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2012, 09:51:23 PM »

Yes, it is a good reminder that while many of the smaller flows north of the Fraser close May first, these ones south of the Fraser close a month earlier.

Thanks for the reminder! Almost forgot  :P

Bushman512

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2012, 09:30:22 PM »

anyone ever used a small canoe on the Serp and Nik rivers?    kinda fun to explore the area....a few muddy portages involved.....but still fun to paddle and not see anything but grassy river bank next to you for miles,. :D

Burbot

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2012, 10:34:58 PM »

It is actually 'Dyke Bank' not river bank anymore sad to say.  The Nic and serp are nothing like they used to be when they were full of fish. They have been diverted and turned into big ditches. Although at times fishing can be ok for trout, salmon, carp and a million bullheads.

Clarki Hunter

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2012, 09:02:54 PM »

Leeching and run off from the farms have also added some ripe odours as well.  These little systems struggle mightily but enhancement programs and a ton of volunteer hours keep them hanging on.