Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Beginners fly rod for lakes?  (Read 13682 times)

jimmywits

Re: Beginners fly rod for lakes?
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2009, 10:56:27 AM »

I agree that a 6 wt rod is your best bet,it is a good allaround weight and will enable you to cover all the bases. It is the line that is critical in that it is the right weight for that rod. Also it is not necessary to run out and spend big dough on a rod, I can consistently cast between 60 to 90 feet using either my berkley rods or my martin and dragonfly rods. Read the Gilly !
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 03:50:27 PM by jimmywits »

captainzippy

« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2009, 01:39:17 PM »

Army and Navy had a great package last year with a rod ( you could choose from the selection they had) and reel with both sinking and floating line and a case for with a bunch of hooks and pliers etc. I think it was around $100 - $150. I am not sure if they have it this year, but what a deal.

Ed

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2009, 10:34:03 AM »

Yeah, I definetly recomend Sea run in coquitlam! Two years ago i got my first fly fishing rod set 8wt for the pink season. Everybody there was so helpful so I pretty much went to Sea Run for my tackle (even though i live in Vancouver). Haven't had the time to fish for a year now probably going back to Sea run soon for a 5wt set up for the lakes.

Talk to one of the guys there, they are all very experienced
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 10:38:43 AM by Ed »

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2009, 12:55:01 AM »

I have recieved your emails and answered you, just waiting for a response  ;)
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

janders

« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2009, 01:17:01 PM »

I bought a dragonfly 6WT 9' for my first rod. and berrys has a good package for the rod and reel with two cartridges. It has worked so well for me i dont plan on replacing it for a long time.

jimmywits

« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2009, 05:01:01 PM »

I bought a dragonfly 6WT 9' for my first rod. and berrys has a good package for the rod and reel with two cartridges. It has worked so well for me i dont plan on replacing it for a long time.
Good choice and no need to replace it any time soon. I have the same rod and really like it and I am a vetreran. Rods are allot like skis, you can have the best equipment money can buy but if you can't ski worth a _ _ _ t what good is it going to do you.