Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Beginners fly rod for lakes?  (Read 13685 times)

marmot

• Old Timer
Re: Beginners fly rod for lakes?
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2009, 03:09:30 PM »

Everyone has their like and dislikes. I disagree with your claim that a 7wt will stay unused. they make good Coho, Steelhead, Sockeye, and Bass rods. Back in 1970 when I started this game everyone started with a 7wt and my favorite rod is my Morado.

He asked specifically about interior and local lake rods, and eluded to chironomid fishing...not 7wt territory, otherwise I'd agree completely that a 7 is a great coho/steel/sockeye/bass/pink/bull rod and wouldn't collect dust.

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2009, 08:31:21 PM »

My mistake Marmot.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

funpig

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2009, 12:39:30 AM »

Six wt is the usual recommended first rod.  The only thing I would suggest is get a four piece.  So much easier to transport and carry.  I have the inexpensive Dragonfly in both 6wt and 8 wt.  Both are 4 piece rods which come in a very nice rod tube.  I use the 8wt a lot for river salmon fishing.  The 6wt is relatively stiff with a faster action than I would prefer, but I'll keep using it until it breaks.  Then I would replace it with the Dragonfly 4 piece 4 wt which came out in the last couple of years.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 12:48:27 AM by funpig »

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2009, 06:19:05 PM »

My mistake Marmot.

Ah it doesn't matter anyways...I mean I think back (too far back!!) and fishing with the 7wt was actually OK.  It has just been a while since I've used anything but my lighter wt's on trout and I'm spoiled now ;)  Different strokes for different folks too...I'm sure there are guys out there who swear that you shouldn't be fishing heavier than a 3wt for trout, and some who will say anything thats less than a 6wt is too hard on fish and takes too long to get them in...so who knows.  I like 4/5 wts though :)

deepcovehooker

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2009, 08:53:44 AM »

I would go to a local shop and talk to the owner a 5 wt rod already matched to a reel with line attached in the $100 - 150 range would give you yeoman service.  Look at dragonfly rod and reels.  I have an 8wt I bought over 10 years ago as a package and still use it all the time.   It is probably my favorite next to my vintage bamboo rod.  Good luck.

DeeAngler

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2009, 05:51:39 PM »

Thnx for the additional info everyone. Still shopping.  :-[

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2009, 05:53:34 PM »

So then you dont want the combo i offered up??? never heard back from you about it.
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

DeeAngler

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2009, 07:49:04 PM »

email was sent  :-[ Still keeping it as a consideration.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2009, 08:10:46 PM »

have you found something better for cheaper??? If so BUY IT !!! if not then......
Check out our new blog

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2009, 12:40:34 PM »

Not to add to the pressure but for a first rod /reel/line setup HOOK's offer is going to be incredibly hard to beat.....the casting instruction alone will be worth it. 

DO IT!!!!  :D

DeeAngler

« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2009, 08:45:43 PM »

Hook .... no, haven't found something cheaper. Realisticly I'm not very good on what is a cheaper, when comparing it to your offer. But have been told it's a great deal.

My whole interest in fly fishing was tweaked by Rod's outings on the Fraser and watching some anglers at Lafarge.

I'm just considering the option of maybe going with a cartidge style reel. You mentioned yours might be but the cartidges could be hard to find. This would resolve considering the line type(s) ... do I just start out this season with floating only and keep a look out for another reel with a 6w sinking line ...  or look at going with the versi tip I've been informed of? Or ... yes ... I should just try your outfit and go from there.  :-\

Just be glad you're not offering to sell me shoes. :D

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2009, 11:24:00 PM »

well to be honest with you, when it comes to trout fishing i HARDLY EVER use my sinking lines or sinking tips. i mainly use my floating line and if you happen to want a cartridge reel you could always just pick up a new reel at a later time after gaining some experience and such. You wont wanna learn to cast with a sinking line anyhow as it is a little tougher for obvious reasons. I fished only a dry line my first season with a fly rod before i bought a sinking line  ;)
Check out our new blog

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2009, 08:25:02 AM »

DeeAngler - so whats going on? you feeling overwhelmed yet at all the options out there yet  ;) LOL
Check out our new blog

drivel

« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2009, 11:01:27 PM »

I've casted many of the entry level lake fishing rods and I highly recommend the:

Echo 4 piece 5 wt 9 ft. (not the new series coming out, but the older model)

uplined by one - to a six weight line  - Loads up very easily, great learning rod and will not disappoint as you become a better caster.. and it's very reasonable!!

canuckjgc

« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2009, 04:01:20 PM »

Go to a good shop (like Sea Run) and they will set you up.  I really appreciated the experience when choosing my first rod.  A decent 4 piece rod and reel will be $300 easy but worth it over a 2 piece for half the price.