Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Do you think that flyfishing is better than the other methods?  (Read 18236 times)

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
Re: Do you think that flyfishing is better than the other methods?
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2006, 08:39:36 PM »

Paul I like the idea of an anti elitest spay club. You and Stone have talked some sence to me, and you are right. No time to do the spey thing this year though, my youngest wants to start tying and selling flies, so I need to teacher my patterns and help her get up to speed with tying. I'm also taking a night school cource to help me build a website. The instructor claims we (the students) will each have a site up and running by the end of the classes.

Stone: in reference to my Spey; It's an 18 foot greenheart. The sister rod to the one owned my Brigadier General Nole Money. The two rods were made in Scotland and shipped to Money and his partner just after they opened their hotel on the Stamp.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2006, 09:55:23 PM »

Paul I like the idea of an anti elitest spay club. You and Stone have talked some sence to me, and you are right. No time to do the spey thing this year though, my youngest wants to start tying and selling flies, so I need to teacher my patterns and help her get up to speed with tying. I'm also taking a night school cource to help me build a website. The instructor claims we (the students) will each have a site up and running by the end of the classes.

Stone: in reference to my Spey; It's an 18 foot greenheart. The sister rod to the one owned my Brigadier General Nole Money. The two rods were made in Scotland and shipped to Money and his partner just after they opened their hotel on the Stamp.

Sounds good Jeff, hopefully I'll be good enough by then to not hook my own ear...I learned something interesting tonight...Fishing the spey is only good for swinging the fly, so not useful when your stripping the fly for like...coho's!!! So while I can see it would be a great way to fish big rivers for steelies...The single hander still has it's place ....Might sound naive but I didn't think about that really, was just so caught up in awe of distance and time in water...

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2006, 10:35:43 PM »

Isn't fly fishing in the Vedder, targetting salmon the same as long lining!  Do they rise to the fly? Do they actually bite it? Seems like just another way of flossing.   Correct me please, I only fly fish in smaller creeks and lakes!

Fly fishing is by far the most effective way to "ethicly" target coho on the Vedder. Most of the fishing is done in settling ponds, large back eddies and frog water. These fish are definitly biters.

sorry if i'm misunderstanding you, but this is your "quote", not mine.

Jonny 5

• Old Timer
  • Almost the holiest fisher that ever was!
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2006, 08:20:29 AM »

I prefer fly fishing hands down.  Then ice fishing.  Then spin fishing, then barfing, then tying a bent nail onto a shoelace (I used to do that when I was a kid until my mom got me velcro shoes  ;D )

The best is fishing little creeks for little trout (and the occasional not so little one), and I honestly think I would rather spend a day in the mountain chasing cutties than a day in the valley going for coho/ chinooks ect.  Coho fishing is a bit of a sleeper most of the time, and those darn chums are a real big pain on my gear, but I am happy that they are still around for us to enjoy!  Oh, and finally, swinging a fly doesn't mean your flossing.  Otherwise those spey fishers would all be flossing, and every fly fisher on the squamish would be flossing.

So there you have it.  Different strokes for different folks.  Keeps it interesting that way I suppose.

Oh, and remember folks, please spey your rods.

J5

Stone

« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2006, 06:04:30 AM »

Newsman...WOW!  That sounds like some rod!!!  Too big for most of the local stuff, but probably great for the Thompson or the bigger systems up north.  Very collectible too from the sounds of it.  You will need a "little" 12.5' to 14' 8 or 9wt for our local stuff down here.  When you're all setup, email me when you want to go.

Cheers.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2006, 05:03:08 PM »

Of course fly fishing is better than other methods and it's got nothing to do with ethics. Most of the people who talk so much about "ethics" on these forums don't really know what the word means.

I have been fishingh for close to 45 years and fly fishing for over 25. I have drift tackle etc and I do a bit of spinning, float fishing and bar fishing with bait every year. But when I do I wish I was fly fishing!

Fly fishing for me is better simply because it is more aesthetically pleasing, more challenging and more involving. Some folks can't handle that or they can't develop the coordination needed to fly fish. Sometimes they can't cope with not catching a few more fish or they can't spend the time it takes to understand hatches, species and fish behaviour. This doesn't make the various "methods" equal or comparable. There's nothing subjective in the choices. Fly fishing is simply superior 9 times out of 10.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2006, 01:05:07 PM »

I read an interesting reply to something similar on another site, the went on to explain how he'd been a fly fisherman for many years and would rather be surrounded by gear guys as they were much more helpful and informative then the "New breed" of fly guys, (spey? and I think these are the guys Jeff is referring to as well)...
I would like to defer, I was also talking to a friend who was telling me about the river cleanup on the Umpqua river, He said that on the FORTY miles of fly fish only water, they took out ONE truck worth of garbage...He said they filled a truck or more for less then every mile of river the gear guys were on....
So you see, there are two varying and strong views on this subject...Personally I think it has a lot more to do with HOW people act today then anything else. I gear fish as well, I like the C.P. and think it's a challenging and fun way to fish, but I end up getting bored with it pretty quick, swinging a piece of roe, wool or spoon over a stretch of water to me isn't half the challenge of trying to figure out what depth, i.e. leader do you use, what fly they are BITING...( a lot of times it s the color more then anything else ) ...how you present it etc. That doesn't mean my way is better, it means I enjoy my way more...
I think all the cracks about flossing with a fly line is mainly coming from either guys who don't have a clue about fly gear and how you fish it AND guys who just want to piss in your Wheaties...When someone who's "supposedly" been fishing for years asks " I didn't know salmon bite when in a river" That just shows ignorance and someone trying to be a troll. Admittedly, you can snag a Salmon on the fly pretty easily but all that does is greatly increase your chances of blowing up your rod really quick and ending your day....I don't know too many guys who for want of  a colored up chum or spring are willing to drive an hour or more, throw away a few hundred dollars or more on a rod and then go home, to do it...Understand what I'm saying? It happens, like with everyone else but it really sucks on a fly rod and you either want to bust him off ASAP or you want to get him in and released as quick and with out damaging him or your gear as soon as possible...

frenchy

« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2006, 01:56:26 PM »

This weekend I was out to try to catch my first salmons on a fly. I was with someone who seems to know how to fly fish for salmon and who showed me the kind of water I should look for when I want to find cohos. Even if I already read that here, I was pretty surprised to see that we were fishing deep slow water, trying to find one or two cohos in the middle of 100s chums. I really enjoyed this "hunting" aspect (trying to find a particular fish), but I was not that excited by the kind of water we were fishing. What I really enjoy when I float fish, is reading the water and playing with the current to send my float where I want and I missed this a bit with the fly rod.
Anyway I enjoyed casting my first salmons on a fly rod (only chums, but still pretty cool). I think I will try it again from time to time, but will mainly stick with float fishing, so far...

Stone

« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2006, 09:59:49 PM »

I really have nothing to add to this discussion as the original topic was intended...pretty much a boring topic with the same old things being rehashed.

But Frenchy...that particular type of water is only one type of salmon fishing on a flyrod.  Contrary to what some nay sayers say, swinging a properly presented fly on flowing water is a very effective (and fun) way to catch salmon and steelhead, and not just a conspiracy by the fly angling elite to disguise flossing with a flyrod.  ::)

As with everything, everyone has an opinion, and on the internet people seem to be more opinionated than anywhere else.  Continue to meet people who are actually fishing the waters with a flyrod, and who look like they know what they are doing (they often are the ones who have fish frequently on the end of their lines...and don't have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome caused by too much typing on the keyboards  ;D) and not just spouting off on the internet, and you too will pick up on the nuances that will make you successful in targetting salmon on the fly.  Good luck...I'll be out there on Friday afternoon and all day Saturday flyfishing with my friends.

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2006, 06:09:11 PM »

Ha Ha that's a good one Stone. I like your sence of humour.

I can add two what you have said; yes look for the fly anglers who actually catch fish and not just talk about it. Ususally these anglers are the one who can fish all day because they dont have wrist or shoulder injuries from bad casting habits or a broken rod from snagging.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2006, 03:08:27 PM »

Just read this thread today and for those who thought it went on and on about the same thing you should have read the thread in fishbc about the same basic topic about fishing methods on the T.  It was over 20 pages long, a "real broo ha ha"  as Donny Taylor likes to say on Sportsnet.  Took me at least two nights to get through it all.

I don't know if I agree to sticking to just one method of fishing or if one method is that much more superior to another because I like to use all methods depending on who I'm fishing with.  It's kind of like the kid who's enrolled in hockey all year round. Unless he absolutely assured of making it to the "Bigs" he 's probably much better off playing a bunch of different sports. In the end he'll be a much better athlete for it and I feel the same thing about the guy who's capable of all types of fishing. 

It would be really tough for me to decide which type of fishing I would do if I could only choose one but now that I own a cabin on a lake and spend alot of time there I guess I would have to pick flyfishing.  Besides flyfishing is the only method you can use in all waters; lakes, rivers, and the chuck. (and in the park if you're in to practicing your casting)

Afterall, the most important thing about fishing is getting obsessed with it!