Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Do you think that flyfishing is better than the other methods?  (Read 18235 times)

frenchy

Do you think that flyfishing is better than the other methods?
« on: October 24, 2006, 06:36:16 PM »

If you tell someone not interested by fishing you are a fyfisher, he almost always thinks "that's cool" and imagines you like Brad Pitt in the movie. If you tell this same guy you are a bait fisher, he thinks "this guy is weird" and imagines you sitting in a chair and killing poor creatures while driking beers and eating chips.

If you tell another fisherman (or woman), who does not know where you fish and what you fish, you are a flyfisher, he will often think "this guy must be a good fisherman" but if you tell him you are a bait fisher he will often think "this guy is probably a beginner".

Even at a legislative level, bait = bad and fly = good. The first thing that is banned if there is a problem in a river is bait and if there is really a big problem, the river becomes fly fishing only.

Do you really think this is justified?

I know that using bait may increase the mortality of fish, but really, at least in BC, I do not thing using bait is the main problem. IMO snagging the fish may cause much more mortality. And once again when you ask fishermen what to do against the snagging problem, they answer "bait ban". But, actually, the only category of fishers I always see trying to have the fish bitting are bait fishermen (I can only speak about what I see). I see tons of "wool" fishermen snagging and flossing the fish, I also see tons of flyfishermen flossing the fish. Of course there are "good" "wool" fishers and flyfishers, but in all categories there are a lot of fishers that are cacthing fish that are not bitting (they may be aware or not that they are doing it).

I am, of course, not saying that bait fishing is more ethical or more clean than flyfishing. It is just that fly fishing may also have a very bad impact on the fish when not properly done.
At least at a legislative level, "flyfishing with floatting line and dry flies only" would make sense, not just "flyfishing only".   

Sandhead

Re: Do you think that flyfishing is better than the other methods?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2006, 07:07:30 PM »

I'll bite.

I would love to see more lakes and rivers be listed as fly only. I'd also like to see more lakes have gas engine bands especially smaller interior lakes.
I dont think that people that fly fish are necessary above some of the antics that drive us all nuts on the river, but I think it requires more skill to catch fish using fly gear than it does using a baitcaster or spin caster.

I've been doing more fly fishing recently than bait casting recently and it would be nice if more rivers were fly only especially some of BC's more exotic rivers.

In the lower main land I've always thought that Ross Lake should be fly only, anyone know who to contact to make that so?

Ain't no HO like a COHO

Sandhead

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2006, 07:14:46 PM »

So yeah I think flyfishing is better than other methods.

But Spey fishing is where its at
Ain't no HO like a COHO

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2006, 08:13:31 PM »

I don't think one is more superior than another. I have more fun flyfishing than I do bait fishing. When I bait fish I think of it as meat fishing. Its not what I believe for everyone just myself. When I bait fish I do it to bring home meat. When I flyfish its for the fun and the sport. I believe certain parts of rivers should be fly only. I believe the canal in the Vedder should be fly only year round. Also a couple local lakes should be fly only to preserve them. Making some local lakes fly only, catch and release would be something wonderful.

Their is something about putting that fly in the right place and seeing the fish take it that just gets your adrenaline going. My favorite is seeing fish take dries off the surface.

In closing I believe they both have their place.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2006, 08:30:09 PM »

i don't fly fish, but i believe you have to have an intimate knowledge of the fish you're catching to fly for them. it is an art form that requires alot of passion....on the flip side.....

to me, true fly fishing is only legitimate when fishing the stills, the chuck, or the surface of the flow.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2006, 08:54:09 PM »

i don't fly fish, but i believe you have to have an intimate knowledge of the fish you're catching to fly for them. it is an art form that requires alot of passion....on the flip side.....

to me, true fly fishing is only legitimate when fishing the stills, the chuck, or the surface of the flow.

You kind of contradict yourself. You don't flyfish but yet you have a belief of when it is in its true form. Can you elaborate? Until you actually flyfish how can you have an opinion such as this?

Belong to the "4 F Club"

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2006, 09:03:31 PM »

First off, to answer your question with regards to the use of bait, I feel very strongly that bait should be restricted to river with hatchery augmentation only (salmonoids only). I find that even on rivers such as the vedder I am deep hooking far too many residents/smolts while bait fishing. On a smaller urban creek, I could clean it out nearly completly with a worm and a split shot. IMHO, anytime it's illegal to retain fish it should also be illegal to use bait.

I know that using bait may increase the mortality of fish, but really, at least in BC, I do not thing using bait is the main problem. IMO snagging the fish may cause much more mortality.

Your right, the way snaggers are treating fish these days is a whole lot worse than any bait fishing could ever be. But you know what, there really isn't a concervation concern on the Vedder. The fish these guys are targetting are the chums and chinook, which are heavily hatchery augmented and have very healthy runs.

And once again when you ask fishermen what to do against the snagging problem, they answer "bait ban". But, actually, the only category of fishers I always see trying to have the fish bitting are bait fishermen (I can only speak about what I see).

I doubt that anyone who actually knows whats going on would suggest a bait ban to solve this problem. But a bait ban is still a very useful conservation tool. Take for example the Coquihalla river, which is fly fishing only. If you let bait guys in there it would be shooting fish in a barrel. Those summer runs are so stupid that they would be caught over and over again. Not to mention they would often be deep hooked. By leaving it to the fly guys only, you are going to be reducing catch rates, reducing the numbers of fish caught twice. It also helps to weed out people who haven't learned to properly handle fish.

*I'm not saying that gear fishermen mishandle fish but the fact of the matter is that the more experienced you are the better care you take of fish you are releasing. That and the fact that fly fishing for the most part is an evolved form of fishing. Meaning that most people start off as gear fishermen and as they evolve as an angler they are more likley to get into fly fishing.

I see tons of "wool" fishermen snagging and flossing the fish, I also see tons of flyfishermen flossing the fish. Of course there are "good" "wool" fishers and flyfishers, but in all categories there are a lot of fishers that are cacthing fish that are not bitting (they may be aware or not that they are doing it).

You're right. Lots of bad apples everywhere, especially on the Vedder. Don't be fooled though, the (legitimate) flyfishermen/women are some of the best rods on the river and have some of the best successes for coho.

The one thing I would like to point out is that on this site the main foccus of most people is bait fishing the Vedder. It's unfortunate, because B.C. has so much more to offer in the ways of quality fishing opportunities than the lowly Vedder. When you call for bait bans or make accusations of fly fishermen being snaggers you are blanketing the rest of these fisheries with the same bad light that is upon the Vedder. Most flyfishermen are intent on getting a strike. Most of the time snagging is not a concervation concern. In most placed bait bans are a good management tool.

Actions speak louder than words.

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2006, 09:07:01 PM »

I've been doing more fly fishing recently than bait casting recently and it would be nice if more rivers were fly only especially some of BC's more exotic rivers.

Couldn't agree more. Same thing goes for lakes, even stoked ones. We need to have more lakes managed as trophy waters. Its getting to the point where anyone who does know of a quality lake won't ever talk about it. Then we have some lakes that do grow big fish only to have the weekend warriors come in and clean the place out. If you want to eat fish thats one thing, but why do some people seem bent on killing large fish.
Actions speak louder than words.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2006, 09:20:03 PM »

" I have more fun flyfishing than I do bait fishing."

Couldn't agree more with the above statement...Fly fishing for me and IMHO is a passion that some have and others don't....I see more fly guys and I would say most likely over half (and that's probably way low)  that catch and release only fish they get...that are out there more for the pure sport of it. Fly fishing takes time to learn, you can go out a few times and still suck at casting, that alone is part of it...You also can ( and most fly guys do ) tie your own flys..that's a whole hobby unto itself and is by far one of my biggest enjoyments....

Salmon are not the only fish in the river, though I think on most boards that is all that's talked about..I fish the Vedder in the summer for trout..and most of the blue ribbon rivers of the world are like that...You have to fool a fish with your presentation, not by egg or wool but by size, shape color and action of an insect that frequents THAT river or lake system....Over 90% of fish taken fly fishing are under the surface of the water...and that is extremely exciting...BUT NOTHING compares to a DRY FLY on the surface....Watching a hatch and guessing right on what to tie on...placing it perfectly and then seeing the SLURP of the fish taking it... or the huge SLASH and splash of one attacking it...insane how it makes your adrenaline flow...and I miss half those hits as the fish spits it before I can set the hook....

I have found that patience is something you have to learn fly fishing...you have to be able to work out what's happening around you, you have to be able to make the perfect presentation and if your lucky...you'll get a fish back to you maybe 50% of the time..and I would say that's a very good percentage for the average fly guy....You have to be able to deal with losing fish on a consistant basis and a lot of guys can't deal with that and as such return to gear..

I'm not going to get into the us versus them argument...I fish both ways, though for me if I'm strictly out for meat then I'd tend to use gear...but to be honest, I've some how become more the fly guy and not the meat guy...I love fish and love to eat fish..but when I get one in on the fly it's so much more like a battle that I respect the fish too much to have to kill it...May sound stupid to someone who needs to show how many fish they can kill to be a big shot in some one else's eyes..but that's how I feel....I have a brand new sage 3113 and milner C.P. it's collecting dust, the spey is next for me and ones on order...That to me is what SPORT is about....

BUT....here's the thing....It doesn't matter how you choose to fish as long as you do it ethically and the right way...I begrudge no bait or gear guy how he fishes because that's their choice and if that's what brings them the same joy and happiness that fly fishing brings me, then damnit that's fine by me... It's the dinks that try and say OUR way is the right way and damn all you other guys that need a good kick in the a$$...and that happens on both sides but probably more on the fly side of it...unjust self righteousness's...total B.S. to me...

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2006, 10:03:55 PM »

What works for you is the best; period.

You are the angler, it is your choice.

For me it is fly fishing; because I like the endless options. Making my own rods, flies and assorted equipment gives me those options.

As for casting like Brad Pitt; Brad didn't even do the casting in that movie. The casting was done by Jason Borger,  it was all staged. When asked what application "shadow casting was good for", Jason replied "when Robert Redford has the camera on you".
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2006, 10:10:55 PM »

Well said Xgolfman. Thats exactly the way I feel. I have been flyfishing for about 7 years now. Never have I ever taken a lesson on my casting. Its not the best but I do get by. I have finally decided though to take a lesson in the winter to be ready for next year. I will be flyfishing about 75% of the time next year instead of the 50% I did this year. I too am going to be purchasing a spey setup as I have enough single handers already.

My buddy and I were on a system this past weekend. We were targetting coho. We were only there for a couple hours and saw fish rolling. Well the only fish that was caught was a 12'' cutthroat by yours truly. Even though it was not a coho it still got me excited. Sure if it was on my 3wt it would have been more fun but to get the unexpected sure was a nice suprise.

Belong to the "4 F Club"

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2006, 10:36:03 PM »

I got introduced to fly fishing in May 1970. Did the switch between spinning gear and fly gear for sixteen years after that. Then in 1986 went fly only (fly emersion) and never looked back. Haven't caught a Sturgeon on the fly, but that's only a matter of time. 

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2006, 10:41:20 PM »

One more thing, I don't do Spey. I own a Spey rod that many of the Spey clan wish they had, but like I said; I DON"T DO SPEY. Too many elitest for my liking.

Stone

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2006, 11:24:40 PM »

One more thing, I don't do Spey. I own a Spey rod that many of the Spey clan wish they had, but like I said; I DON"T DO SPEY. Too many elitest for my liking.

Newsman...you're going to prevent yourself from enjoying double hand flyfishing just because you think there's too many snobs involved in that sport?  The only person missing out is you.  Put a line on that spey rod, whatever it is, and email me when you can go.  I only flyfish, and I still use both single hand and double hand rods extensively...but I shake my head at people who insist on sticking with a single hander only for drift and swing presentations for large fish like springs, chums, and steelhead.

No false casting, your fly spends a lot more time on the water, more line control, more fish control...think about it.  You don't have to surround yourself with those snobs when you're out fishing, so I don't get why that would prevent you from enjoying it.

Stone

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2006, 11:27:44 PM »

...oh yeah, back to the original question.  I also flyfish because I enjoy it immensely.  There's a lot involved to keep me stimulated.  There's a certain aesthetic appeal to the whole process, a certain elegance that I like, and the enjoyment of the fight without any weight on the line is incomparable.  Cheap therapy to keep me sane in my high stress profession.