Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A tip on river etiquette  (Read 2130 times)

Gooey

• Old Timer
A tip on river etiquette
« on: January 29, 2007, 10:21:56 AM »

I don't want to turn this into a big rant, so just take this as a gentle reminder for those who may not appreciate some finer points of river etiquette.

I was fishing the upper end this weekend (so clear water conditions).  I was fishing a beautiful pool on the far side of the river which was within 3-8 feet of the opposite shore.   There wasn't a sole on that side of the river and then a pack of guys appeared at the bottom end of the run.  The group clambered along the shoreline and all but one simply walked straight up the shore line and on to the next hole.  One stopped to to fish the top third of the run.

Only comment I would make is that if you aren't going to fish a hole and other people are, then simple try and travel as far back from the rivers edge as possible.  That group could have easily spooked anything sitting against that shoreline in the pool.  Its even in your own benefits...the guy that stopped and fished from the top 3rd floated down through the run he and he buddies just walked along...not ideal for anyone really.

Pat AV

Re: A tip on river etiquette
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 11:04:39 AM »

Staying back from the river in clear conditions is always a good tip. Also be mindfull of the angle of the sun, Throwing a shadow across a gin clear pool can also hurt your chances!

Good advice Gooey
Like STS pics? Check out my gallery at http://gallery.flybc.ca/patav

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 11:54:15 AM »

doja: I think that fish you caught a couple of times was an aggressive fish,  and you got your offering in the strike zone and that is what it did.  As for the other fish, that was slowly swimming along, perhaps it was injured or just dying from old age.  Have to remember that any fish that gets careless soon pays the price and will end up on someone's dinner plate somewhere down the line.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 12:00:09 PM by dennyman »

Pat AV

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 12:05:04 PM »

It has happened to me as well, I have had fish chase my gear right to my feet and spook only to have them hit on the next cast.

Overall though I would say it is best not to spook the fish I have also seen spooked fish swim off never to be seen again too many times to remember. I always err on the side of caution when fishing clear water.
Like STS pics? Check out my gallery at http://gallery.flybc.ca/patav

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2007, 01:00:29 PM »

I think fish are as individual as each one of us so some are supper aggressive, some are dum as nails  ;), others are welll educated, etc, etc.  Maybe "spooking a fish could wake it up, but I would see that being the exception. 

I will tell ya a funny story.  My dad and I were shore fishing the stamp last year.  We we in the section below the bucket and had been there 30-40 minutes.  maybe 9+ anglers and no fish in that time, then Rolley goes screaming up the middle of the run with a dfo guy (after poachers) and in the next 10 minutes 4 fish were hooked.  The boat certainly seemed to wake them up but given a different day/water conditions ...who knows!  Like PAt said, best to err on the side of caution unless its your pool, ie no other fishermen in it - then you can do want ever you like!.