Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2023 Interior Lake Season Reports and Updates  (Read 9092 times)

Darko

• Old Timer
Re: 2023 Interior Lake Season Reports and Updates
« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2023, 09:08:06 PM »

I read somewhere you can catch the trout at interior lakes using floating bait like power eggs on the bottom. But I have my doubts, what do you guys think. Change of plans since there's no signal at Boss Lake (worried parents   ::)) we will be near Lac le jeune area
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2023, 09:27:03 PM »

I read somewhere you can catch the trout at interior lakes using floating bait like power eggs on the bottom. But I have my doubts, what do you guys think. Change of plans since there's no signal at Boss Lake (worried parents   ::)) we will be near Lac le jeune area

it works

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2023, 10:31:29 PM »

it works
thanks for the response! Will give it a try then mid day they go deeper. Trip starting at 3:30 am, cant wait. :)

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #48 on: July 04, 2023, 01:35:54 PM »

so here's the recap

Day 1;
arrived at lodgepole at 7:15 am Saturday, campsite full and was recommended to go to paska lake by the site operator, which we did and were able to get a nice camping spot by the water by noon. Caught a 10 inch cutthroat on the first cast using a shrimp but nothing throughout the rest of the day until the evening when I caught an 8 inch pennask that must've fought harder than any stocked catchable I've caught. Fish were jumping throughout the whole day and I saw some sizeable ones that were around 2-3 lb. Paska is only stocked with kokkanee so all of the trout are wild but in there in decent numbers. Definitely a hard lake to fish from shore which was expected but didn't really have an option to camp elsewhere. Taking the boat out in the middle of the day was a big mistake as the wind really picked up and dragged us a good distance, The wind actually made out tent fly into the lake which was quite the experience. Although I jumped onto the boat and was able to save it, Lots of stuff got wet and damn it got cold that night, 1500 m elevation is no joke. Weather must've been near zero as my car had frost on it. Though all the folks there camping were super nice and helpful to me and my friend. Even met a real cowboy!

Day 2:

So after getting up and having some breakfeast, organizing, getting ice ect. We made out way to Stake lake where I fished from the dock. I tried shrimp without much success but I was fishing with a gentleman from kamloops there and he gave me a leech to try. After maybe 10 m I caught an 18 inch beautiful pennask. I was super stoked and happy. After about another hour we went back to camp and continued fishing in the afternoon, starting at lodgepole. The water was calm and fish jumping but no luck there. We visited stake again but also skunk. We ended the day at lac le jeune which fishing from the dock I did not find to be good,  it was very busy and shallow and weedy and wasnt very fishy at all although a couple jumpers from a far.

Day 3:

after packing everything we hit up stake lake again, where after 1 m I saw a fish jump and casted in that area and boom 20 seconds later another pennask similar size as yesterday, sadly though it got off right in front of the dock but the fight was good. We decided to try edith lake to end the trip but it was much to windy to do any good. Although I did see some 4-6 lb trout jump but out of casting range for the far end dock.

I really enjoyed my time in Kamloops interior and know it wasnt exactly prime time or perfect but well worth the trip. Caught my biggest trout to date so thats something I wont forget along with the flying wet tent  ;D. Lots of jumpers the whole time but either the fish just are not turned on by shrimp or it was just slow. Casted some lures aswell but no luck on those. On certain lakes like lodgepole and stake there were a good amount of dragonflies around. The mosquitos were not bad at all. Coming back to burnaby was the hardest part  :P

redside1

« Reply #49 on: July 04, 2023, 04:54:10 PM »

Darko
nice report, thanks for it.

danielk

« Reply #50 on: July 04, 2023, 07:47:04 PM »

Sounds like a fun trip 🤓 I’m glad you got into some fishies  !!  The real question is !! Are you going back ???

And flying tents. Haha I know that all to well. Lost a tent Down the logging road from tunkwa.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2023, 07:49:19 PM by danielk »

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #51 on: July 04, 2023, 09:07:52 PM »

so here's the recap

Here's how i read it:

Day 1: didnt get skunked

Day 2: didnt get skunked

Day 3: didnt get skunked

Sounds like a successful trip.

I really enjoyed my time in Kamloops interior and know it wasnt exactly prime time or perfect but well worth the trip. Caught my biggest trout to date so thats something I wont forget along with the flying wet tent  ;D.

This is a great attitude, hopefully you'll keep that approach and you'll never have a bad time. It's so easy to get caught up with numbers etc that you start to have expectations, and that's when you set yourself up for disappointment. We're all guilty of it eventually ...

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #52 on: July 04, 2023, 10:57:57 PM »

Sounds like someone is ready to move to Kamloops. ;)

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #53 on: July 04, 2023, 11:05:56 PM »

Sounds like someone is ready to move to Kamloops. ;)

sure am! Thanks for the positive comments everyone. Here's a few photos

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #54 on: July 04, 2023, 11:09:34 PM »

Sounds like a fun trip 🤓 I’m glad you got into some fishies  !!  The real question is !! Are you going back ???

And flying tents. Haha I know that all to well. Lost a tent Down the logging road from tunkwa.
Probably not in Kamloops until next year. Going to kelowna in 2 weeks for 3 days so lmk if you guys have any suggestions of lakes to fish nearby. I was thinking if nothing I can go to some of the highway lakes between merritt and kamloops.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #55 on: July 05, 2023, 08:17:00 AM »

sure am! Thanks for the positive comments everyone. Here's a few photos

well that is a nice fish in anyone's books. I'd bet it was better than 2lbs. A fish like that makes a stingy trip.

I remember a 3 night weekend at Roche one October around Thanksgiving. My wife and 2 kids came along and we rented a place at the resort. First day we got there late in the afternoon but I got out in my float tube. Fish were feeding on the shoal south of the resort. i caught a 14 inch fish then an 18 inch fish in short order. The bigger fish ran into the backing and jumped a number times. Back at the cabin I threw my gear and waders in the back of the van. There was a heavy frost that night and my neoprene's were frozen into a twisted angular mass. The fishing was dead for the next two days. still the weather was good and I took my 6 year old son (he'll be 35 tomorrow) out in a rental boat a couple of times. I didn't have a touch for those 2 days. The weather was beautiful and we still had a good time and a fish to eat.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #56 on: July 16, 2023, 08:03:50 PM »

I fished Harmon lake today, from the dock and my boat and saw absolutely zero fish, not even a single jump. Just some tiny fish in the shallows near the dock. Which was very unlike two weeks ago when I saw many, even though those lakes were listed winterkill (Paska & Stake) and Harmon is not. Pretty strange to me.  Just some tiny ones in the shallows near the dock. Worst part is that somehow my 8'6 UL okuma celilo and c10 reel feel off from my rod holder without me noticing. If anyone has one to sell to me I would appreciate it, I really like that rod for float fishing for trout.

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #57 on: July 19, 2023, 07:18:19 PM »

Fished Island lake and Paradise lake on the connector. Skunk. Tried leeches, and trolling a dry fly think it was a sedge fly. Saw a bunch of white sedges on the water. Decent amount of jumpers but no bites. ( Island). Paradise only small ones jumping around.