Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Too cold for trout?  (Read 3663 times)

Headshake

Too cold for trout?
« on: December 02, 2005, 10:01:38 AM »

I was out on a local lake freezing my toes off, and not a nibble to show for my efforts. A week ago, I had pretty steady action. I have a couple of questions;
1. When the weather turns cold, are there better and worse ways to entice these trout?
2. Would cold weather effect my powerbait ie. cause the floating stuff to sink. As I was packing up, I noticed that my powerbait wasn't floating anymore. I thought, maybe that's why I didn't get any bites.

Just wondering if anybody had any helpful tips to improve my productivity when it's so freaking cold.
I'ts either a fish or the bottom!

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
Re: Too cold for trout?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2005, 10:25:32 AM »

I was out on a local lake freezing my toes off, and not a nibble to show for my efforts. A week ago, I had pretty steady action. I have a couple of questions;
1. When the weather turns cold, are there better and worse ways to entice these trout?
2. Would cold weather effect my powerbait ie. cause the floating stuff to sink. As I was packing up, I noticed that my powerbait wasn't floating anymore. I thought, maybe that's why I didn't get any bites.

Just wondering if anybody had any helpful tips to improve my productivity when it's so freaking cold.

The colder it gets, the closer to the bait your fish will have to be.  It's not going to waste any more energy than it absolutely has to when the water is really cold.  Now, more than ever, it's important to actually FIND the fish, instead of waiting for them to find you.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2005, 11:08:03 AM »

find a hole!

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2005, 11:08:57 AM »

Yes a deep pocket in the lake. That usually would be the place those fish's hiding during winter.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2005, 11:11:18 AM »

I personally dislike fishing local lakes this time of the year because it is just so cold, especially when you're not moving that much. You're at least moving around quite a bit when fishing rivers. We did Sasamat Lake a few years ago this time of the year, very cold, not many fish caught, brrr....

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2005, 03:57:10 PM »

We did Sasamat Lake a few years ago this time of the year, very cold, not many fish caught, brrr....

Probably not the fish or the lake's fault  :o ::)

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2005, 05:00:46 PM »

Look for underwater springs. Springs tend to regulate water temps to warmer in winter and cooler in summer. Springs are not always easy to find though, so you can also try close to shore line in the norteast section of a lake. The northeast sections are generally warmer and better oxygenated.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

IamCanadian

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2005, 09:19:24 PM »

What I tend to do, is when I want to be absolutely sure that the powerbait is floating I would use a small piece of styrofoam(you know how the styrofoam is made of those little pebbles, all you need is one of those) and but it on the hook and it should float.

Ian ;D