Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New to Forum and need help  (Read 8630 times)

amature

New to Forum and need help
« on: November 24, 2005, 04:54:16 AM »

Hi,
I'm new to this forum and new also to fishing in Vancouver.  I hope to make friends here and learn more about this exquisite art.

I'm planning to do some saltwater fishing in 1st week of Jan 06 is there any good spots?  I don't have a car so accessibility is impt.  What can I get during this season?

Also, can i use treble hooks with in these waters as most of my spinners come with double treble hooks?

PLs help. Thanks!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: New to Forum and need help
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2005, 03:51:20 PM »

Nope, incorrect. Sorry for not replying sooner, I have not had time to properly type something up. When fishing the saltwater area around Vancouver, only single hooks are allowed.

Area 28 regulations can be found at:

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/recfish/Tidal/area28_e.htm

The rest of the regulations for tidal waters can be found at:

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/recfish/Tidal/coastalmap_e.htm

Saltwater fishing in Vancouver around that time is slow. If you are looking into doing some shore fishing, the piers in North Vancouver may still produce perch, sole/flounder, dogfish, etc.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2005, 11:06:41 PM »

The hook restriction is different in each area of the tidal regulations. I personally get quite confused by it too and constantly have to check it to make sure.

amature

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2005, 11:48:05 PM »

Thanks guys for clearing up in the treble hook query.  I was also confused when I read the regulations too and wasn't clear. 

Hey Rodney, you mentioned about North Van...u mean the pier at ambleside beach?  What kind of bait should I be using?  If is okay for light tackle and half once weight?

Is there any regulations against fishing at New Westminster?  I have a friend that stays along the stretch by the waterside and I've always wondered whether one can fish there.  Any ideas?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2005, 12:02:56 AM »

Bait for Ambleside would be prawn, fish fillets, etc. Other members would know more, as they fish they often.

The stretch around New Westminster is in tidal Fraser River, usually very quiet in January. You might find the odd sturgeon or bull trout, both are catch and release only.

JiG_Head

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2005, 12:49:15 AM »

Amblesidepark is located in west van :P 14th and marine...
as for bait... prawns/dew worms/sea worms/bull head fillets/squid. would be best. also depending on the species of fishy you want to catch. but Sea worms would stand out the most out of all those listed.

Light tackle and weight is fine... most of the time, the fish arent even far off the pier.   but depens what your going for.

Heres what you will usually find around the pier
http://www.fishingwithrod.com/member/gallery/jighead
But not that rockcod ;)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2005, 12:51:58 AM by JiG_Head »
the shyt talker.

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2005, 08:05:48 AM »

Nope, incorrect. Sorry for not replying sooner, I have not had time to properly type something up. When fishing the saltwater area around Vancouver, only single hooks are allowed.

Area 28 regulations can be found at:

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/recfish/Tidal/area28_e.htm

The rest of the regulations for tidal waters can be found at:

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/recfish/Tidal/coastalmap_e.htm

Saltwater fishing in Vancouver around that time is slow. If you are looking into doing some shore fishing, the piers in North Vancouver may still produce perch, sole/flounder, dogfish, etc.
No Rodney is the one who's wrong here
"It is prohibited to use more than two single-pointed hooks in tandem (as when fishing with bait) in the waters of Burrard Inlet near the mouth of the Capilano River from the 14th St. Pier to Prospect Light on the seawall of Stanley Park to the north tower of the Lions Gate Bridge from August 1 to December 31. Each hook must have a single point that measures no greater than 15 mm between the point and the shank of the hook"
That's a small are @ the mouth of the Cap-the rest of the area is open to using treble hooks no problem we do all the time.
In any case there are no Salmon to be caught from shore in January.
There are lots of Salmon in the Bay and off the other side of Bowen but you need a large boat and specialized knowledge.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2005, 08:45:32 AM »

Sam I think we've had this discussion before and yes you're right. ::) :-[ You missed an area though. ;)

It is prohibited to use more than one single-pointed hook in the tidal waters of the Seymour River from the BCR Railway bridge downstream to the fishing boundary signs located on the west and east shore of the Seymour River from August 1 to December 31. Each hook must have a single point that measures no greater than 15 mm between the point and the shank of the hook.

Told ya, other members would know more. :)

JiG_Head

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2005, 12:03:41 PM »

Ding Ding! ... people with the chance to say your wrong justs GOES CRAZY!  haha
the shyt talker.

Straight Runner

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2005, 08:11:46 PM »

Thanks for setting it staright Salm. I was worried for a minute there. I just bought a very nice looking $17 Rapalla Magnum with a couple of beauty treble hooks that I am going to take out for a few good trolls soon. Just need to pinch down the barbs.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2005, 10:34:49 PM »

if you're really new to this region or the sport, take the time to read all the available booklets and learn the regulations. don't just rely on hear-say.  also get to know the species you're targetting and learn how to i.d. them.

amature

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2005, 06:11:18 AM »

Thanks for all the advice.  Any books or webpages you'd recommend that I read?

This may sound like a dumb question but since I an amature I guess I've got license....so should I use a spinner or blades on my terminal tackle if I fish off a pier?  ??? Or a simple hook and bait will do?  Some mentioned ledgering is that right?

I've never learned how to bait for specific types of fish, usually i would set up and hope to get whatever bites.  i hope to get better in this area some day.

JiG_Head

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2005, 04:25:07 AM »

Thanks for all the advice.  Any books or webpages you'd recommend that I read?

This may sound like a dumb question but since I an amature I guess I've got license....so should I use a spinner or blades on my terminal tackle if I fish off a pier?  ??? Or a simple hook and bait will do?  Some mentioned ledgering is that right?

I've never learned how to bait for specific types of fish, usually i would set up and hope to get whatever bites.  i hope to get better in this area some day.

well from my personal experiances... ill definitly Not use any artificals...if the salmon are around the pier.. spinners might work but generally ... hook and bait is best for pier fishes... the water is not the clearest for the spinners to take affect. and the salt content and the sea will take away most of the artifical sent you offer... nothing beats the feel/texture of real bait ;)  for pier fishing 1 type of bait catches all fish...SEA worms... 2nd in choice would be Prawns/shrimps then squid...go crazy... try out different things :)

Pm/email me if u got any more question.. or post here so i can show off.. lol i OWN AMBLESIDE! :P
« Last Edit: November 29, 2005, 04:28:48 AM by JiG_Head »
the shyt talker.

amature

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2005, 08:24:40 AM »

Hi Jighead

Thanks for your offer...will definitely take it up.

So here are some questions.....
1) How do I get hold of sea worms?  Can I buy them or do i dig for them?  I've never used them before.

2) If I use shrimp, should they be raw or cooked?

3) Beside ambleside, any where else you suggest?

Am I scaring you yet?

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2005, 11:26:48 AM »

Hey Jighead hope you've been doing well out in ambelside.  Have the sizes of the tumors on the fish out there decreased??!?! ;)  Nothing like biting into a flounder fillet and feeling a "pop".